Bad news...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Dear librivox community,
I recently had a house-fire, and my family is going to be staying in a hotel for a few days while we try to figure out where to go from here. Thankfully, there were a lot of things that weren't damaged, and only smell a little like smoke (like my computer and mp3 thank goodness). There's a lot of water damage, and the house is old, and will probably mold out. Thank goodness though, that everyone is alright, and everything that was living inside the house, is still alive.

I will try my best to maintain the projects I am running, and I can continue to check librivox, although it won't be as much as I used to for awhile. As for recording... I don't believe I can record for a little bit. Please don't un-assign the chapters I have assigned. I might find time to do them, and hopefully we can get a better place to stay so I can record. As for my DPLing, I can still DPL the projects I am DPLing, but I cannot PL for about another day or two until things settle down a bit.

I am so thankful that not everything was destroyed, and I thank God for delivering my family from this unfortunate event.

Thank you everyone,
Elijah
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

I'm so sorry to hear that. And I'm happy you're family are okay.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

SaraHale wrote: April 7th, 2019, 10:42 am I'm so sorry to hear that. And I'm happy you're family are okay.
Thank you Sara
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Oh no! I am very sorry to hear that. I am veeeeerrrry glad everybody is ok though! Take your time and don’t worry too much about being on here. Family/home is important and should have first priority! Of course if you still stay very active on here we won’t complain though :D. I hope everything turns out well for you! There’s probably not too much we can do, but let us know if there’s anything we can do to help :D.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
ej400

Post by ej400 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: April 7th, 2019, 10:48 am Oh no! I am very sorry to hear that. I am veeeeerrrry glad everybody is ok though! Take your time and don’t worry too much about being on here. Family/home is important and should have first priority! Of course if you still stay very active on here we won’t complain though :D. I hope everything turns out well for you! There’s probably not too much we can do, but let us know if there’s anything we can do to help :D.
Thank you Campbell. I guess the only thing you guys can do is... well, maybe just be the same nice people you all are :D

I GOT AN IDEA :idea: <lightbub>

I could go out into the vehicle, in the hotel parking lot and record from there :lol:
lymiewithpurpose

ej400 wrote: April 7th, 2019, 10:52 am
lymiewithpurpose wrote: April 7th, 2019, 10:48 am Oh no! I am very sorry to hear that. I am veeeeerrrry glad everybody is ok though! Take your time and don’t worry too much about being on here. Family/home is important and should have first priority! Of course if you still stay very active on here we won’t complain though :D. I hope everything turns out well for you! There’s probably not too much we can do, but let us know if there’s anything we can do to help :D.
Thank you Campbell. I guess the only thing you guys can do is... well, maybe just be the same nice people you all are :D

I GOT AN IDEA :idea: <lightbub>

I could go out into the vehicle, in the hotel parking lot and record from there :lol:
Good idea, unless a parent yells at you for doing so :lol:. If I tried doing that in the same situation my mom would probably take away my computer :D. But if she lets you, why not? Nothing like recording in a parking lot :lol:.
Campbell
ej400

Post by ej400 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: April 7th, 2019, 10:55 am Good idea, unless a parent yells at you for doing so :lol:. If I tried doing that in the same situation my mom would probably take away my computer :D. But if she lets you, why not? Nothing like recording in a parking lot :lol:.
My mom would let me, and hey, I could probably get practice editing car noises out... but now that I think about it, that would be a little strange/weird to be reading aloud in a car :lol:
lymiewithpurpose

I don’t think it’s too strange :D. And it’s good practice, as long as you find a setup that works and isn’t too uncomfortable. Now I’m curious if that would work...
Campbell
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Hi Elijah,

So sorry to hear about the fire, but so glad that you, your family, other pets and such made it out OK. Things will probably be in a bit of chaos for awhile, but my best wishes and prayers that everything will return back to some sort of normalcy quickly.

Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
ej400

Post by ej400 »

DACSoft wrote: April 7th, 2019, 12:13 pm Hi Elijah,

So sorry to hear about the fire, but so glad that you, your family, other pets and such made it out OK. Things will probably be in a bit of chaos for awhile, but my best wishes and prayers that everything will return back to some sort of normalcy quickly.

Don
Thank you Don. A little but of good news, is that were basically settled in (for now), into a pretty nice hotel. So for the next few days, things should be alright.
lymiewithpurpose wrote: April 7th, 2019, 11:01 am I don’t think it’s too strange :D. And it’s good practice, as long as you find a setup that works and isn’t too uncomfortable. Now I’m curious if that would work...
Yeah, with my recording software, it will work really well.

Thank you everyone for all your kind and encouraging words, I appreciate it :D <smile>
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

So glad you and yours are OK! any indications of the cause of the fire?

It seems like we once had someone record in their car on a regular basis. Not ideal, perhaps, but depending on the lot/garage, it could be quite quiet!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ej400

Post by ej400 »

TriciaG wrote: April 7th, 2019, 1:23 pm So glad you and yours are OK! any indications of the cause of the fire?

It seems like we once had someone record in their car on a regular basis. Not ideal, perhaps, but depending on the lot/garage, it could be quite quiet!
Well, it was an old house, but we believe it was the electrical wiring in the walls. I'll tell you a summed up version of the whole story:

Me, my dad, and my brother were about two hours away from home. My mom and my sister were home at the time. Now they would have actually been gone somewhere also, had it not been for my mom's really bad cold. If she didn't have the cold, and instead left the house, we probably would have lost everything. Anyway, my sister called and said that the house was on fire. So we started coming home. Apparently it started in my brother's room upstairs, and our fire extinguishers weren't able to stop it. So the firemen came and put out the fire, thankfully. The whole upstairs has smoke damage, and parts of the ceiling are falling apart, but at least we didn't loose the main floor or family members!

Thank you for your kind words Tricia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll second what others have said about your safety and that of your family. Phew!

But yes, car recordings can work well, especially when there isn't a quiet space indoors. I have PLed some of them, and would never have guessed if the reader hadn't told me where they recorded.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Oh goodness, I'm glad all of you are OK! No worries about your solo -- it'll be here when you're ready for it. I imagine everything seems topsy-turvy right now but I hope it settles down for you soon. And yes, we did have a volunteer who said he recorded in his car (I think he had an active family).
Laurie Anne
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Thank you Devorah and Laurie Anne! Things are finally starting to slowly settle down, but we don't have a sense of time or plans for the day :( <sadface> Hopefully things will get better soon. Just gotta try and stay on the positive side, and stay very thankful for the things we did manage to save. I'll talk to you guys soon, thank you so much :D <smile>