Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

TriciaG wrote: April 1st, 2019, 5:52 am Does it start the odometer over at 24 hours? LibreOffice doesn't know to keep the extra day when a project is, say, 25 hours.
I have no idea, feel free to test it out. But it’s not difficult to just subtract 24 from the result.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't have Excel. ;) I experimented with LibreOffice, and it didn't keep the 24 hours.

And I mean, one would need to ADD 24 to the result. If a project is 25 hours, and if Excel (or whatever spreadsheet) adds it up to be only 1 hour because it rolled over to zero at the start of a new "day", one would need to add 24 to the hours. :)

I'm not dissing your method; it's a great one. But one will need to be careful if it's a long project to be sure that it's saying the project is 39 hours rather than only 15.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Ah I see! That’s a good thing to keep in mind for sure.

EDIT: it does indeed round up, I tried adding 23:05:10 and 3:26:18 in Excel and the sum came to 2 hours! Good spot
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Am taking a break from claiming covers for a while (I claimed way too many the past few days), but whoever claims Los Eddas https://librivox.org/los-eddas-by-snorri-sturleson (poems about Norse mythology, so very exciting!) should have a look at this link:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Norse_stories_retold_from_the_Eddas_(1908)
There are lots of beautiful illustrations, all in the public domain, from the book Norse Stories Retold from the Eddas. One of them would work really well as a cover (particularly "Then the awful fight began" or "The binding of Fenrir").
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Hi, I remember reading somewhere that the cover claims list is updated every 4 hours - could someone please specify when approximately that is? Is it 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock, 12 o'clock in a certain time zone? I'm asking because there's a book that just got catalogued that I'd very much like to design a cover for as I was one of the lead roles :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm fairly certain that we don't know.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say 12,4,8 Netherlands time. But that is a shot in the dark. Bart may have set it up to update at a different time.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

leanneyauyau wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 9:09 am Am taking a break from claiming covers for a while
leanneyauyau wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 9:09 am Hi, I remember reading somewhere that the cover claims list is updated every 4 hours - could someone please specify when approximately that is? Is it 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock, 12 o'clock in a certain time zone? I'm asking because there's a book that just got catalogued that I'd very much like to design a cover for as I was one of the lead roles :)
:) Kinda short, that while ;)
Good job, I like your cover.
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

moniaqua wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 12:15 pm
leanneyauyau wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 9:09 am Am taking a break from claiming covers for a while
leanneyauyau wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 9:09 am Hi, I remember reading somewhere that the cover claims list is updated every 4 hours - could someone please specify when approximately that is? Is it 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock, 12 o'clock in a certain time zone? I'm asking because there's a book that just got catalogued that I'd very much like to design a cover for as I was one of the lead roles :)
:) Kinda short, that while ;)
Good job, I like your cover.
lmao I couldn't hold back :oops: :lol:
Last edited by leanneyauyau on April 3rd, 2019, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The idea behind the request for image information in the cover is to enable whoever uploads them to check that they are PD.
Something like this
Cover picture is from Wikimedia Commons and is in the public domain (03/04/2019).
is pretty useless, we don't accept Wikimedia PD statements, it's like other internet sites, you can upload anything and say anything. It is reviewed and if you were wrong someone may correct it but that doesn't help us
The picture is not obviously any time period, legal wigs are still very similar, I can't find a way to search wikimedia , and google image search gave no results. So I'm pretty unhappy all round about accepting it and may change my mind later.

Anne
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Ah, I see. Sorry for not being more specific, I am still getting into the swing of cover designs. I can find the links for you now...

EDIT: also, I am quite certain that if you put the image into Google Image Search (apart from searching with words, you can search by uploading an image to find similar images) something should come up.
Last edited by leanneyauyau on April 3rd, 2019, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

For Charlatan: https://pixabay.com/illustrations/casal-romanticism-in-love-passion-1697571/
For Doubt: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Divorce_a_Vinculo_-_The_Courtroom.png
For Criminals: https://pixabay.com/photos/sling-hangman-hanging-knot-1222466/
For Crimes: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Man_in_the_Iron_Masque.jpg

How should I title these in the pdf? Perhaps "by Jo-B on Pixabay", "Divorce a Vinculo - The Courtroom", "kalhh on Pixabay", and "L'Homme au Masque de Fer"? (I assume you want me to remake the pdf files...?)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

you need to read the licence - pixabay says
Brands, products, and people in images and videos

Please note that some of the things depicted in the images and videos - such as identifiable people or logos - may have other rights such as copyright or trademarks that require consent or a license from a third party.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

next time , where the template says (date) after the image, it wants the date of the image not todays date . It's not always available or sometimes it says "painted when he was a young man , so an approximate works fine,
The information on the cover itself is out record - the only one we have , so if 10 years on someone queries our use of the image whoever is around then has something to argue back with.

The 2 claims voluntary limit was agreed to so that we could share the covers around, so far this month we have catalogued 8 projects and you've claimed about 10, so could you step back for a while? (a longer while than last time) we have no control over how many come or when they come, this month will start off slow because of the cleanup.

Anne
classicsforever

Post by classicsforever »

Hi Annise... sorry it's taking so long, but I'm very close to finishing the Dracula cover, within the next hour. :) I sent you a PM but for some reason it's stuck in the Outbox.
Margaret
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

To whomever makes a cover for "What She Said and What She Meant..." https://librivox.org/what-she-said-and-what-she-meant-and-people-who-havent-time-and-cant-afford-it-by-pansy/
There are a lot of BW drawings scattered throughout the text itself: https://books.google.ca/books?id=KJc2AQAAMAAJ which might be useful.