COMPLETE[BIO] Pinero, Playwright by Hamilton Fyfe - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, I've noticed the names of several plays already that we don't have, but I didn't realize the number was so high! It'll probably be about two weeks or so before I'm able to PL. If the other sections come in, and you're only waiting on me before then, I won't be offended if you find a stand-in to PL them and get this finished out.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Okay. Though I can't, of course, PL my own section.

Thanks, Todd
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Hello! Can I have section 9?
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yes. I can't get to the MW to post it properly but you may go ahead.

EDIT: MW updated

Thanks, Todd
ellies

Post by ellies »

Hi, I am happy to fill the final part to complete this project. section 8 if still free
thanks
Elaine
"The pure joy of reading and sharing with others, must never be taken for granted"- Elaine Conway 2018
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I see you are in the UK. Is this PD for you?

Thanks, Todd
ellies

Post by ellies »

ToddHW wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 8:52 am I see you are in the UK. Is this PD for you?

Thanks, Todd
oh yes, did not read that bit. This is unsure territory for me, I am in England. Does reading it but not downloading it myself count as copyright infringement?
Not sure, so sorry I was more than happy to help, never mind
Elaine
"The pure joy of reading and sharing with others, must never be taken for granted"- Elaine Conway 2018
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Sorry. Next project perhaps.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ToddHW wrote: March 28th, 2019, 5:33 am Section 12 posted for PL. Note that I treated the cast lists as contents of tables and did not read them - I only read the names and locations of the plays and not the people.

And wow! - there are a lot more Pinero plays in this list - maybe 20 - than we have done so far. And this list is only through 1901 (the book was published in 1902).

Thanks, Todd
Section 12 is PL ok. :thumbs: And yes, there are quite a lot listed here! I wonder how many of them were printed? And then of course, of the ones that were printed, how many have found their way online? :hmm:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have found a fair number of them online at Archive.org. (Gutenberg.org does not have that many more.)

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Nice job again, Campbell. I enjoyed listening to this one. I'll admit, I found the first part of the chapter far more interesting than the second, but that's because I'm familiar with the Gay Lord Quex, and not at all familiar with Iris. I was a bit indignant that Mr. Fyfe was so hard on poor Miss Sophy Fullgarney, but maybe that's only because I played her when we produced this play a few months ago. The nighttime scene he described between Sophy and Quex was certainly every bit as dramatic and exciting as he said, and was one of my favorite scenes I've ever recorded for LV. (Another favorite scene of mine was from Mademoiselle de Belle Isle, and also invloved my character yelling at Todd's character. Coincidence? :hmm: ) I believe we finished up the Gay Lord Quex at about the time that you joined LV, so you may not have had a chance to hear it. But I think you'd enjoy it. There are some really great scenes. Anyway, thanks for indulging my rambling. I have a couple of notes on this section, both of which are optional.

17:02 There is a translation given of this (is it Italian?) in a footnote. Personally, I think it would be great to include that translation in your recording. I think this is up to you and/or Todd, but I always like to know what these non-English portions are actually saying.
23:40 The pause here seems a bit overlong to me. (after "all but Maldonado.") Have a listen, and maybe trim it down a bit if you agree.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Adding in the translation would be helpful. I'd just read it right after the complete Italian phrase - no need for "Footnote"/"End Footnote".

I, or rather my characters, have been yelled at by nearly everybody here. Except for all the times when I am being laughed it....

Thanks, Todd
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

mightyfelix wrote: April 16th, 2019, 11:45 am

Nice job again, Campbell. I enjoyed listening to this one. I'll admit, I found the first part of the chapter far more interesting than the second, but that's because I'm familiar with the Gay Lord Quex, and not at all familiar with Iris. I was a bit indignant that Mr. Fyfe was so hard on poor Miss Sophy Fullgarney, but maybe that's only because I played her when we produced this play a few months ago. The nighttime scene he described between Sophy and Quex was certainly every bit as dramatic and exciting as he said, and was one of my favorite scenes I've ever recorded for LV. (Another favorite scene of mine was from Mademoiselle de Belle Isle, and also invloved my character yelling at Todd's character. Coincidence? :hmm: ) I believe we finished up the Gay Lord Quex at about the time that you joined LV, so you may not have had a chance to hear it. But I think you'd enjoy it. There are some really great scenes. Anyway, thanks for indulging my rambling. I have a couple of notes on this section, both of which are optional.

17:02 There is a translation given of this (is it Italian?) in a footnote. Personally, I think it would be great to include that translation in your recording. I think this is up to you and/or Todd, but I always like to know what these non-English portions are actually saying.
23:40 The pause here seems a bit overlong to me. (after "all but Maldonado.") Have a listen, and maybe trim it down a bit if you agree.
Oops, for some reason I missed this and only noticed it when I say in my Reader Details that I had a 'See PL Notes'... well, I came here! I don't actually remember this chapter very well (my reading and listening comprehension absolutely sucks, I don't remember a thing I read), but cool thoughts! Maybe if I have spare time I'll listen. Anyways, here is my edited file, with both notes corrected. I tried to match the insert as well as I could, let me know if you think I should retry.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/pineroplaywright_10_fyfe_128kb.mp3
30:02
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

PL ok. Thanks Campbell. :thumbs:
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919