1 Minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
IPINKDOLPHIN123

Post by IPINKDOLPHIN123 » April 1st, 2019, 2:11 pm

Hi guys!

My name is Sarah and this is my 1-minute test. The book is "The Story Of Miss Moppet by Beatrix Potter". Please comment anything i need to fix up soon so i can record the book "The Velveteen Rabbit" without mistakes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/1mintest.mp3

Thanks anyway,
Sarah :P :P 8-) 8-)
KITTENS_UNICORNS!!!!!!! :P

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 1st, 2019, 8:32 pm

Hello Sarah, welcome to LibriVox! First of all, I have to agree with you, kittens and unicorns are pretty great :D. Ok, now that's out of the way, we can get to your test. It's nice to have a young voice around the forum, especially for a children's story such as "The Velveteen Rabbit"! Before you can get started on recording, however, there are a couple things to fix:
  • The first issue is your bit rate. We need it to be at constant 128 kbps, yours is at variable 121
  • Your recording is in stereo, we need it in mono
  • At 84.8 dbs, your volume falls outside of our target range of 86-92, with 89 being preferred
What recording software are you using? If it is Audacity I can give you step by step instructions, if not I can refer you to places to get help.

There is one more thing I would like to mention in regards to the test. You had quite a few plosives. This happens when you are too close to the microphone and your breath hits it too hard, causing a sharp sound. To fix this, I would play around with the orientation of your mic. Maybe not put it directly in front of your face, but to the side, above, below, etc. You do not need to re record this, as this will not prevent you from passing the test. Just keep an ear out in the future :D.

Once you let me know what software you use, I will give you more specifics. If you think you can figure all this out without instructions, make the changes, re upload with the same file name, post in this thread, and I can take another look. Welcome to this wonderful community :D!

IPINKDOLPHIN123

Post by IPINKDOLPHIN123 » April 1st, 2019, 9:25 pm

Hi,
Thank you for the feedback i really appreciate it.
The software I use is Audacity so please send me the step by step instructions.
I have tried putting the microphone not so close to my mouth but then u can hardly hear my voice.

Thanks anyway,
Sarah :D

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » April 1st, 2019, 10:10 pm

It's not how close to your mouth it is really, it's positioning. you can have the microphone close, it needs not be directly in front. The way I was told was to hold up your finger and go PPPPPPPP then move your finger until you can't feel the breath on your finger and put the microphone there, pointing toward your mouth. Then your plosives go past the microphone not into it. Takes a little experimentation but then you know where to put it

Anne

What sort of microphone are you using?

IPINKDOLPHIN123

Post by IPINKDOLPHIN123 » April 1st, 2019, 11:49 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
The microphone I use is a microphone headset and the recording software I use is Audacity.
I will definitely use your advise.

Thanks anyway,
Sarah :D :D :)

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 2nd, 2019, 6:24 am

annise wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 10:10 pm
It's not how close to your mouth it is really, it's positioning. you can have the microphone close, it needs not be directly in front. The way I was told was to hold up your finger and go PPPPPPPP then move your finger until you can't feel the breath on your finger and put the microphone there, pointing toward your mouth. Then your plosives go past the microphone not into it. Takes a little experimentation but then you know where to put it

Anne

What sort of microphone are you using?
Interesting, thanks for sharing that :D. When I had plosives merely moving it farther away helped, but maybe that was a one case scenario :D. Won't say that again then! And that is a good trick :D.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » April 2nd, 2019, 6:30 am

Ok, here come some instructions :D!

The volume is luckily a simple fix. If you haven't already, downloading the program Checker can help you see your volume.
1. Select your entire recording
2. Go to menu items Effect>Amplify
3. Enter whatever number needed to get to 89 in the first box (so in this case 4.2)
4. Hit OK.
This should get you to the required range!
I am just going to mention that with amplifying you can get some background noise issues, as you will also be making this noise louder. Here, you are not amplifying by a significant amount, so you most likely will not have a problem. If it does occur I can send you instructions for that (but I don't want to overwhelm you here :D).

The final issues can be fixed when recording! You should only have to do these once, as it will remember your settings :D.
1.Go to export it (menu items file>export)
2. Look under the Format Options section
3.Where it says 'Bit Rate Mode', select 'Constant'
4. In the 'Quality' drop down menu select 128 kbps.
5. At the bottom of the screen, select 'Force to Mono'

Hope this helps! And I hope Anne's advice about the microphone helped too :D. Since it is a headset maybe move the actual mic above or below your mouth, so the breath doesn't hit it as harshly :D. Like I said below, when you make these fixes, please re upload using the same fine name and post in this same thread :D.