COMPLETE [Solo] Dr. Thorne by Anthony Trollope - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

How lovely to see your son.

Helen has spoken to our three on the phone, as it is Mothering Sunday.

Here is Chapter 42

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/drthorne_42_trollope.mp3 40:36.5.

Enjoy

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapter 42 is PL OK.

I'd not heard the term "Mothering Sunday" before, but the meaning is clear enough. Do you also have a Fathering Sunday?
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is the next Chapter

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/drthorne_43_trollope.mp3 29:02

Here is part of the Wikipaedia entry for Mothering Sunday :
Mothering Sunday is a holiday celebrated by Christians in the United Kingdom, Ireland and some other Anglophone countries. It is generally observed in parishes of the Roman Catholic Church, Church of England, as well as in the rest of the UK and many Anglican parishes throughout the world, especially in Canada and Australia. It falls on the fourth Sunday in Lent, exactly three weeks before Easter Day. Once observed as a day on which people would visit their "mother" church, it has become an occasion for honoring the mothers of children and giving them presents.[2] It is increasingly being called Mother's Day, although that name properly belongs to the American secular holiday which is quite distinct from the original Mothering Sunday.

As it says, it is now more usually called Mother's Day - but my mother hated it called that, and as a result I tend to write Mothering Sunday, although in speech I will say Mother's Day.

We have Father's Day - taken from you; there has never been an equivalent church service!
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Thanks for the explanation of Mothering Sunday. A vestiage of the original purpose of the holiday remains, as we frequently see extra people in church on Mother's Day, who come simply to please their mothers.

At about 21:30 of Chapter 43, Lady Scatcherd repeats herself, but there is no repeat in the recording. Did you want to check your original reading to see if you read it, but edited it out?
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Sorry about that - you are quite right, I edited it out!

Here is the corrected version:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/drthorne_43_trollope.mp3

We too get a lot of people at church to celebrate their mothers - and the Mothers; Union gets flowers for children (of all ages) to give to their mothers during the service. But with our boys living away, Helen hates that service, so we avoid it!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Have you been to Minnesota now, or is that this coming week?
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapter 43 is marked PL OK.

The trip to Minnesota starts tomorrow. This time of year, that means giving up a week of Spring for an extra week of Winter. They are expecting up to 20 cm of snow--quite enough to make me appreciate my home with its green grass and blooming fruit trees.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Sounds terrible - unless you have time to go skiing!

I hope you are back home for Easter - we are having properly warm weather for the first time since February - and it is wonderful. Great for the Easter weekend.

Have a wonderful Easter - He is risen indeed!

Here is Chapter 44
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/drthorne_44_trollope.mp3 37:11.7

Enjoy
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Thank you! Easter was wonderful! Besides a very joyful Easter service, my brother and his wife came to visit for the weekend. "And a good time was had by all." Hope your Easter was as wonderful.

Chapter 44 was wonderful, too. Marked PL OK.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Easter itself was very quiet - I sang hymns at a Good Friday service in a care home and then did the readings for a meditative service in the afternoon (that was very special); but we went to Northampton on the Monday so we could look after Felicity, our granddaughter during Tuesday morning and then take her to school Wednesday morning - which was lovely.

Next month will be dominated by Chris and Amy's wedding - first the stag do (which I will attend) in Birmingham, then the hen do (which Helen will attend) then a week off followed by the wedding on the 25th.

Does your brother live far away?

Here is Chapter 45
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/drthorne_45_trollope.mp3 : 29:42.9

Enjoy

Nick
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

The penultimate chapter is ready:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/drthorne_46_trollope.mp3 : 32: 17

we are coming up to a very crowded time; Sunday is our Annual Church meeting; Tuesday evening is the collation and induction (or the other way round) of our new vicar; Saturday and Sunday next week are our middle son's stag do.

I hope your week goes well.
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapters 45 and 46 sounded great and I'm marked them PL OK.

It does sound like a crowded time ahead! I won't be surprised if I don't see that last chapter for a while. I hope all goes well for the meetings and ceremonies and parties and the wedding. And I hope your new vicar is a blessing for the congregation. The right match between minister and congregation makes such a difference.

The brother who visited at Easter lives only 4 hours away, on the eastern side of the state. Several of my nieces and nephews live near him. But there is a mountain pass between us, and it is ugly driving most of the winter. So Easter often marks the beginning of the "visiting season", and we'll travel back and forth frequently until the snow arrives again in the mountains next November.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is the last chapter. All the loose ends tied up!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/drthorne_47_trollope.mp3 41:11

Even though we had that wonderful visit to the States, I still find it difficult to get my head round the distances involved - your brother being "only" 4 hours away!

I had a very enjoyable weekend at the stag do seeing all three boys - and Helen despite being capsized enjoyed her time on the Isle of Wight. Thursday we go up to Loughborough for John's birthday, then the hen do at the weekend when I shall keep John company while Helen and Mel go for a pampering session and goodness only knows what else!

Are you happy to continue with the next book in the series (Framley Parsonage - I had forgotten there were six, not five books in the sequence)? It is a longer so will take a bit more time.

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Yes! I would love to continue with the next book! I was hoping you were going to do it. Should get to this last chapter tonight or tomorrow.

I'm sure distances here are a bit different than you think of them. Once we got in the car to "drive east" for a week, not knowing exactly how far we would get, depending on what we stopped to see. At the end of the week, we turned around to drive home. We'd gotten as far as South Dakota.
Arlene
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I'm ready to catalog once the final section is marked PL OK.
MaryAnn
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

:clap: :clap: :clap: Chapter 47 is is PL OK and we are ready for cataloguing!

Thank you, Nick for the wonderful recording you have created. I have enjoyed it so much. It's a valuable addition to the LibriVox catalog.
Arlene