[COMPLETE] Haworth's by Frances Hodgson Burnett - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I once listened to a book on LV, in which the readers said the title differently. Gail also has a southern accent, so I believe that contributed to how she said it. For me, I'd probably have the vowels screwed up a tiny bit, and my "O" would be longer because of my Minnesotan accent. Accents I think will play a part into how different readers say it. I think that as long as we all try to say it like "HA-Worth" it'l be alright. Other than that, I think if it sounds accurate to what the correct pronunciation, we'll be good. Thanks for bringing that up :D <smile>
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

OK, I will regard "HA-Worth", the New Jersey town, and Gail as correct and read it with the broad a. :)
MajorHistory

Post by MajorHistory »

I lived in Weston-super-Mare and Taunton, UK for 14 years. I think that is pronounced How-erth.. just from my recollection that is.

I can volunteer for the following 9 through to 54

Thanks,
Mike
COGITO ! , (cough... volunteering) ERGO SUM !, :)
ej400

Post by ej400 »

mikebotez wrote: April 5th, 2019, 11:29 am I lived in Weston-super-Mare and Taunton, UK for 14 years. I think that is pronounced How-erth.. just from my recollection that is.

I can volunteer for the following 9 through to 54

Thanks,
Mike
I see that you've requested in quite a few projects today Mike, but we do have a small policy that readers need to finish their Sections within a 2 month deadline. I realize this may not be an issue for you, but since your new to librivox, I would be more comfortable if you took a few Chapters at a time for now. :D <smile>

If you want to request a few at a time, you may still end up doing the remainder of the project. With all this in mind, how much would you like to claim?

Thank you,
Elijah
MajorHistory

Post by MajorHistory »

Hi there Elijah,

I'll do 9, 10, 11 and 12. It'd be nice to actually "get" into the book... feeling it, and maybe then I will do a better narration. I practiced a couple of hours "off line".
Been a few times to Mankato, Owatonna, St Paul, Minnetonka, and for the most part during winter months :-). Love that place.

Mike
MajorHistory

Post by MajorHistory »

Hi Elijah,

I just did a few minutes recording of chapter 9. I don't think this is for me, I can't do a west yorkshire accent. The colloquialism is even harder for my wife, who's English speaker. We had a good laugh though. Please let me know what other project you want me to work on.
Also, if you want to have a laugh, I can send you the link of my 4 minute recording :-)

Thanks,
Mike
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

I have uploaded Chapter 6, ready for proof-listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/haworths_06_burnett_128kb.mp3
12:44.5, 90.4 dB

The dialect as written is diabolical -- It's coming out like it's some sort of Scots-Irish blend rather than north of Liverpool. Not the way it should sound, I'm sure.

Ah well. Please let me know of any edits that I need to make.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

I've started regularly listening to recordings of old Lancashire dialect from the Survey of English Dialects.
https://sounds.bl.uk/Accents-and-dialects/Survey-of-English-dialects
They can be hard to follow.

There seem to be a bunch of pronunciations notated in the book that were once common in the area but are practically unheard of since the 1950's.

I still haven't decided how to handle the dialect. My feeling is that if I were to get it 100% authentic (which is not going to happen), the result would be needlessly difficult to understand for modern ears. It's worth a shot, though. The audiobook is good enough to be valuable if it's substantially better than computer-generated TTS: that's the appropriate standard as I figure it. Thus if I attempt to reproduce the dialect and get it all wrong, it would still be acceptable, and it would also be fine if I pronounce every word as it is in standard English and maybe affect a vague regional accent.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

mikebotez wrote: April 6th, 2019, 11:32 am Hi Elijah,

I just did a few minutes recording of chapter 9. I don't think this is for me, I can't do a west yorkshire accent. The colloquialism is even harder for my wife, who's English speaker. We had a good laugh though. Please let me know what other project you want me to work on.
Also, if you want to have a laugh, I can send you the link of my 4 minute recording :-)

Thanks,
Mike
Thank you for letting me know. Feel free to check around for other projects you'd be interested in doing.. I can't think of any right off the top of my head right now.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

gailtv wrote: April 6th, 2019, 5:25 pm Hi -

I have uploaded Chapter 6, ready for proof-listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/haworths_06_burnett_128kb.mp3
12:44.5, 90.4 dB

The dialect as written is diabolical -- It's coming out like it's some sort of Scots-Irish blend rather than north of Liverpool. Not the way it should sound, I'm sure.

Ah well. Please let me know of any edits that I need to make.

Cheers

Gail
Thank you!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Chapter 7 is uploaded for proof-listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/haworths_07_burnett_128kb.mp3
8:09.5, 88.1 dB

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
ej400

Post by ej400 »

gailtv wrote: April 10th, 2019, 6:39 pm Hi -

Chapter 7 is uploaded for proof-listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/haworths_07_burnett_128kb.mp3
8:09.5, 88.1 dB

Cheers

Gail
Thank you! :D <smile>
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Chapters 6 & 7 are both PL OK! I enjoyed listening to these chapters Gail, you are a very good reader. :D <smile>
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Elijah

Thank you for that. You didn’t find my reading of the dialect too laughable?

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
ej400

Post by ej400 »

No not at all. It was done very well. Good job and reading those accents. It was noice :D <smile>