Logic Puzzles [FORUM GAME]

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 5:39 pm
P.S. Here's another one for you....

Question: Using only a pair of scissors of unknown size, and nothing else, no measuring device or reference whatsoever .... how long is a piece of string?
Umm...I'm bad at this sort of thing, so this is probably not the right answer, but using the scissors, couldn't you just cut the string to whatever length you wanted?
Tell me if that's not the right answer, though.
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

You use the scissors to cut the ends off the piece of string.

Then it’s endless. :wink:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Chris, I did not see that coming! That's a play on words! Ok, ok, I'll do a similar one- can you figure this one out?
You are trapped in a brick room with only a table and a mirror inside. There are no other openings, and there is a complete floor and ceiling. How do you escape?
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑March 30th, 2019, 2:28 pm Chris, I did not see that coming! That's a play on words! Ok, ok, I'll do a similar one- can you figure this one out?
You are trapped in a brick room with only a table and a mirror inside. There are no other openings, and there is a complete floor and ceiling. How do you escape?
Okay, you've stumped me on this one.

Chris
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑March 30th, 2019, 2:28 pm Chris, I did not see that coming! That's a play on words! Ok, ok, I'll do a similar one- can you figure this one out?
I've heard this one, but it always had a sword/saw in it. This one stumps me.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

A saw? Is this something to do with seeing, as in you saw the mirror or something?

BTW, I recall an old sci-fi short story by Isaac Asimov about an escape from an unbroken bronze room. The trick to the escape was in the story's title, which was "Gimmicks Three". https://www.e-reading.club/chapter.php/81971/6/Azimov_-_Earth_Is_Room_Enough.html
lymiewithpurpose

SonOfTheExiles wrote: ↑March 30th, 2019, 3:10 pm A saw? Is this something to do with seeing, as in you saw the mirror or something?
The answer to the version with the saw is, "you look in the mirror and see what you saw, saw the table in half, two halves make a whole and you escape through the hole". It's easier to explain verbally as you don't have the spelling differences but you can get the sense.
Campbell
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Hey, that's pretty good. :lol:

There is a yarn about the snakes on Noah's Ark, but one perhaps has to have been around doing trigonometry before pocket calculators were a thing.

The yarn goes...

When all the occupants of Noah's Ark emerged, they were enjoined to "go forth, become fruitful, and multiply".

To which the snakes replied, "We can't multiply, we're adders."

So Noah got out his trusty carpenter's tool, took a log, made it into a table, and put the snakes on top of it.

"There you go," said Noah. "Even adders can multiply on a log table."
lymiewithpurpose

SonOfTheExiles wrote: ↑March 30th, 2019, 3:20 pm Hey, that's pretty good. :lol:

There is a yarn about the snakes on Noah's Ark, but one perhaps has to have been around doing trigonometry before pocket calculators were a thing.

The yarn goes...

When all the occupants of Noah's Ark emerged, they were enjoined to "go forth, become fruitful, and multiply".

To which the snakes replied, "We can't multiply, we're adders."

So Noah got out his trusty carpenter's tool, took a log, made it into a table, and put the snakes on top of it.

"There you go," said Noah. "Even adders can multiply on a log table."
Ok, that's a good one. I love it :lol:. Math puns are amazing, I just can't happen to think of any more right now :(
Campbell
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: ↑March 29th, 2019, 5:39 pm Question: Using only a pair of scissors of unknown size, and nothing else, no measuring device or reference whatsoever .... how long is a piece of string?
As long as you cut it! :lol:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I believe you grab the table and smash the mirror. Behind the mirror is an opening?
lymiewithpurpose

ej400 wrote: ↑April 1st, 2019, 7:28 am
I believe you grab the table and smash the mirror. Behind the mirror is an opening?
That's a good one. My other idea: you don't :lol:
Campbell
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

That's a good idea!
lymiewithpurpose wrote: ↑April 1st, 2019, 7:35 am
That's a good one. My other idea: you don't :lol:
:lol: Please don't hate this, but I did this one as a play on words too, since Chris fooled me with his- since his first one was super scientific, I thought that would be similar too!

OK, OK, here's the answer:

You look in the mirror, you see what you saw, you take the saw, you cut the table in half, and two halves make a (w)hole. :roll: Courtesy of my brother. :lol:
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: ↑March 30th, 2019, 3:14 pm
SonOfTheExiles wrote: ↑March 30th, 2019, 3:10 pm A saw? Is this something to do with seeing, as in you saw the mirror or something?
The answer to the version with the saw is, "you look in the mirror and see what you saw, saw the table in half, two halves make a whole and you escape through the hole". It's easier to explain verbally as you don't have the spelling differences but you can get the sense.
Yup! Pardon the last post, I did not see these earlier posts yet.
lymiewithpurpose

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑April 1st, 2019, 12:25 pm
lymiewithpurpose wrote: ↑March 30th, 2019, 3:14 pm
Yup! Pardon the last post, I did not see these earlier posts yet.
You forgot to include the saw :lol:. That's what may have been a bit confusing :D
Campbell