Laptop in review

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
niobium

Post by niobium »

I am currently using an older hp laptop left over from work from about 5 years ago. I rarely use it for anything but managing librivox recordings and as a backup. It is still running windows 7, not because of any preference, but because it was almost unable to manage the installation of windows 10 upgrade, then unable to manage a regular flow of update requests. In fact, there have been periods where it has done nothing except download and install updates over and over again. This continues until its annual breakdown at bootup, where the option of backing up the harddrive is presented, but does nothing because it is unable to load up any backup nor even access files saved on its harddrive. Damn good thing I use a WD Passport ultra portable harddrive with 1 TB of storage and RAM memory in case of a sudden power cut while in operation. I would have been tearing my hair out in rage many times over and may have given up on librivox at one point.

does anyone have a suggestion for a good cheap reliable light laptop that can fit into a briefcase, last long without a power cable, and not break? im trying not to go over budget, but i may get one as a self birthday present
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Are you looking for something that can install audacity or not? Otherwise, if your looking for just a computer, then I'd suggest a chromebook. But it can't install audacity or apps really, it can only access the web pretty much.
classicsforever

Post by classicsforever »

What is your ideal price range? Some of my family members have Lenovo ThinkPads and like them. I've always had Dells, and if you go with Dell, I'd recommend checking out their outlet laptops, some of which are new. They have a new Inspiron 15" 3000, i3, under $300, which is probably sufficient for Audacity. If you can, though, I'd probably splurge and get a business laptop with a better processor (i5 or i7); it may last longer.

If you are computer savvy or know someone who is, you might try installing the Linux Mint operating system on your current laptop side-by-side with Windows (i.e. dual boot). Linux Mint is open-source and free, and it supports Audacity and other open-source software. If you dual-boot, it leaves you the option of undoing the installation if you decide you don't like it. I am running it on an old laptop, and it's much faster than Windows 7 was. I used this guide for installation.

Hope this helps!
Margaret