COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 064 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks, Craig! PL OK. :)
QuakerWoodworker

Post by QuakerWoodworker »

Hi, Sue and Craig

Here's a new contribution. I believe the URLs will pass muster, but I admit that I faced a number of technical barriers before Checker validated my file. Please let me know if you face any problems--technical or otherwise--on your end.

Thanks!

Bob

A Note on Realism

Robert Louis Stevenson

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf064_noterealism_stevenson_qw_128.mp3

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/492/492-h/492-h.htm#page93

Duration: 19:21
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

QuakerWoodworker wrote: March 19th, 2019, 10:09 pm Hi, Sue and Craig

Here's a new contribution. I believe the URLs will pass muster, but I admit that I faced a number of technical barriers before Checker validated my file. Please let me know if you face any problems--technical or otherwise--on your end.

Thanks!

Bob

A Note on Realism

Robert Louis Stevenson

Hi Bob, Thanks for this discussion of style, be it in writing or other forms of art such as painting. I found it most interesting! :)

Passion, wisdom, creative force, the power of mystery or colour, are allotted in the hour of birth, and can be neither learned nor simulated. But the just and dexterous use of what qualities we have, the proportion of one part to another and to the whole, the elision of the useless, the accentuation of the important, and the preservation of a uniform character from end to end—these, which taken together constitute technical perfection, are to some degree within the reach of industry and intellectual courage.
QuakerWoodworker

I'm glad you found it interesting, Sue. The title A Note on Realism somewhat belies the eloquently expressed insights to be found in Stevenson's essay.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

QuakerWoodworker wrote: March 20th, 2019, 5:41 am I'm glad you found it interesting, Sue. The title A Note on Realism somewhat belies the eloquently expressed insights to be found in Stevenson's essay.
Bob, Would you like to tweak the title to the selection to attract a more general "listener-ship?" We could call it "An Essay in the Art of Writing," since the title of Stevenson's book is Essays in the Art of Writing, and this is one of the essays.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Bob :D

Realism or idealism. An either/or or a both/and?

PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
QuakerWoodworker

A judicious balance of the two, I'd say! Thanks, Craig.
QuakerWoodworker

Sue, I like that idea very much. Let's do that! Bob
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

QuakerWoodworker wrote: March 20th, 2019, 6:17 am Sue, I like that idea very much. Let's do that! Bob
Done. :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Here's one that captures the core mind-set of MALE CHAUVANISM, and shows what women have had to battle against to get the right to make a living, work outside the home, buy property, get/share custody of their own children, challenge the glass ceiling, vote, run for political office, and otherwise stand on their own two feet. And now we're doctors, lawyers, engineers and congresswomen, and Mom's as well! My word!!!!

The Woman Thou Gavest Me, by William Cowper Brann
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Cowper_Brann

https://archive.org/details/completeworksofb01branuoft/page/66

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf064_thewomanthougavestme_brann_mtf_128kb.mp3

8:57
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

msfry wrote: March 26th, 2019, 1:09 pm Here's one that captures the core mind-set of MALE CHAUVANISM, and shows what women have had to battle against to get the right to make a living, work outside the home, buy property, get/share custody of their own children, challenge the glass ceiling, vote, run for political office, and otherwise stand on their own two feet. And now we're doctors, lawyers, engineers and congresswomen, and Mom's as well! My word!!!!

The Woman Thou Gavest Me, by William Cowper Brann
Hi Michele, Thanks for your contribution to vol. 64! :) Unquestionably an opinionated rant:

"That the greater intelligence should control the lesser must be conceded... Is Woman man's intellectual peer...? The simple fact that for thousands of years man has been able to hold her in that "state of subjection" of which her attorneys so bitterly complain ... is proof positive that he is as much her superior mentally as physically..." Brant's dates: 1855-1898.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Michele :D

a few errors noted

:57 - As her attorneys in the suit to try title – you read your for her

7:55 for her that he is a creative god, rather than a destructive demon. You read human for demon

He was particularly noted for his writings attacking religious conservatism. "I have nothing against the Baptists. I just believe they were not held under long enough" (Conger, 1964, Baptism by Immersion). Brann also devoted many paragraphs to his idiosyncratic views of the wealthy eastern social elites, such as the Vanderbilt family, and deplored their marriages to titled Europeans. He characterized such marriages as diluting the elites' already-debased American stock with worthless foreign blood. Wikipedia

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
msfry

Post by msfry »

2 errors fixed. Thanks for catching. Yes Brann died at age 43. Shot it the back for mouthing off to the wrong person, I believe. He was full of himself, in constant eruption, outrageous and irreverant, but a good writer with many astute observations, and fun to read. A tad like Mark Twain.

This will be his first representation in the LV catalog I'm proud to say, but not the last. The Complete Works, Volume 1 is on the way.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Nice corrections Michele :thumbs:

PLOK

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Some_Old_Bird

Post by Some_Old_Bird »

Hi all!

I was interesting in a few letters from the Eisenhower administration
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/16142/16142-h/16142-h.htm

and this magazine's coverage of the Boxer Rebellion (can I do that? a stand alone article instead of the whole magazine?)
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/28712/28712-h/28712-h.htm

Would you like them?