[COMPLETE][Portuguese]Contos Phantasticos - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

deyandriotti wrote: March 16th, 2019, 10:38 pm Here is the recording link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/contosphantasticos_07_braga_128kbp.mp3

I love the text, but It was a hard one to start! I really don't know how to evaluate the result, I hope it is satisfactory.
Wonderful, thank you so much, Dey. :9: I know, it wasn't the shortest section to start with. The downside on having to use public domain texts is that the language may be older than what we are used to today.

I will put it in the Magic Window to be PLed by Pier and soon as he finds the time. He will give you ample feedback on how you did. Seeing this was your first section, you already did well by achieving it. :thumbs:

Stay tuned for feedback.

Oh and please, always include the length of the section please, so I can put that into the MW as well :) And careful with the file name, you included "kbp" at the end, instead of only "kb". No need to change right now, first let's wait what Pier has to say.

Thank you

Have a nice Sunday still

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Kitty wrote: March 17th, 2019, 4:29 am
deyandriotti wrote: March 16th, 2019, 10:38 pm Here is the recording link:

Oh and please, always include the length of the section please, so I can put that into the MW as well :) And careful with the file name, you included "kbp" at the end, instead of only "kb". No need to change right now, first let's wait what Pier has to say.

Thank you

Sonia
I'll listen to it as soon as possible :D .
Pier
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Iunta4Ios wrote: March 11th, 2019, 1:51 am
Leni wrote: March 10th, 2019, 5:58 pm And here it is:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/contosphantasticos_15_braga_128kb.mp3
19:51
Muito bem lido Leni :9: . é sempre um prazer escutar estas "pérolas" de Teófilo Braga, que não conhecia.
Apenas uma pequena correção a fazer: entre 19:10 e 19:13 minutos é repetida a frase "quando eccoou de novo".
Aponto também dois pontos que porém me parecem não alterar o sentido e então não preciseriam de correção:
- a 2:50 m lido: "de boa nova" ; escrito "a boa nova"
- a 6:28 m: lido "pequena"; escrito "pequenina".
Pier
Obrigada novamente, Pier. Corrigido.

19:50
Leni
=================
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

deyandriotti wrote: March 16th, 2019, 10:38 pm Hello!
Here is the recording link:

I love the text, but It was a hard one to start! I really don't know how to evaluate the result, I hope it is satisfactory.
Best Regards
Dey.
Don’t worry: You read very well this text, which is really quite difficult! Very well done for a first reading. :clap:
Just a few notes concerning minimal details:
- At 6:10 minutos you read “o hymno que havia de romper dos”; The text is: “o hymno que havia romper dos...”
- At 9:40 minutos you read “avança deslumbrante a beleza”; the text is “avança deslumbrante de beleza”
- At 13:34 you read: “Á medida que ia proseguindo o canto,”; The text is “no canto”
- No fim at 21:09 you should not read the note: “Strophes XIX, XX, XXI do poema O Ultimo, do conde Sigismundo Krasinski.” These note should generally not be read.
You can simply in your Audacity track “highlight” this last phrase and delete it.
In the same way of course, you have not to record the full section again! Do not do it please! But you have simply to “highlight” the few words or phrase to be altered and substitute them with a new record of the same phrase that you can past on the track in substitution of the old one.
In this way the alterations can be very efficiently and quickly done(I am just mentioning this since this is your first record, even if you probably know it already)

Finally please, after making the corrections, reload the new file, with the corrected file name, as Sonia explained (kb instead of kbp at the end). To reload the corrected file just follow the same procedure as for the first upload, and then post that you have done it (not forgetting to indicate the minutes and seconds of the recording.)

A final note: There are some noises in your recording with are acceptable for this recording, but you could try to improve this in your next recordings. If you like I can give you some suggestions on this matter.
Sorry for the long explanations, and still congratulation for this very good first experience of recording! :9:
Pier
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Leni wrote: March 17th, 2019, 9:10 am
Obrigada novamente, Pier.

19:50
PL O.K. Leni, :thumbs:
Pier
deyandriotti

Post by deyandriotti »

Well, I'm not sure who I am adressing to... Kitty, Leni, Pier, hello!

Thank you all for the opportunity, positive evaluation and the corrections!
Pier please, send me the noise reduction instructions!
I loved the text, but found it hard to read as first experience.

Well, I'll work tonight, I hope there will be no rain, my studio still is a corner in a room , so I really need technical support in edition to compensate the lack of a professional studio.

best regards
:D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

deyandriotti wrote: March 18th, 2019, 6:41 am Well, I'm not sure who I am adressing to... Kitty, Leni, Pier, hello!
we're all here to help if you need anything :)

maybe to learn the LibriVox vocabulary a bit, here is a short introduction:

> I (Sonia / forum name Kitty) am the MC (meta-coordinator) and BC (book coordinator) for this project. That means I am responsible to catalogue the completed project in the end and deal with any problems that may arise

> Pier (forum name Iunta4Ios) is the DPL (dedicated prooflistener) for the project, so he will listen to all sections and give advice and note down errors when needed

> Leni is another reader, like you in this project. She is MC, BC or DPL in other projects though, so she knows her way around the forum quite well as well

do you use Audacity ?

BTW I wanted to add, this project is not required "word perfect" so if any of Pier's notes don't change the meaning of the text in a significant way, then you may choose to leave it like that without correcting. The footnote I do want removed though, but cutting out something is very easy.

Sonia
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

deyandriotti wrote: March 18th, 2019, 6:41 am
I loved the text, but found it hard to read as first experience.

Well, I'll work tonight, I hope there will be no rain, my studio still is a corner in a room , so I really need technical support in edition to compensate the lack of a professional studio.

best regards
:D
Hi Dey,
The “noises” I mentioned are mainly “bumps” probably due to touching the microphone or speaking too near to it, or too directly to it.
As an example you can listen at your recording at 9,07 seconds, after “ estao em dominio” and before "publico” or at 32,2 s after “arpa” and before “sacrosanta”.

This level of noise is fully acceptable for Librivox, so you don’t need to make any correction to the section already recorded for this aspect.
But you could keep it in mind for improve further your future recordings.

The background noise although is not much perceptible and it seems to me you have probably already correctly used the noise reduction of Audacity.

As far as my other remarks are concerned and exactly:
- At 6:10 minutos you read “o hymno que havia de romper dos”; The text is: “o hymno que havia romper dos...”
- At 9:40 minutos you read “avança deslumbrante a beleza”; the text is “avança deslumbrante de beleza”
- At 13:34 you read: “Á medida que ia proseguindo o canto,”; The text is “no canto”

They really don't change“much” the meaning of the text in a significant way, then you may choose to leave it like that without correcting, as Sonia mentioned.

Anyway, if you have some time for it, it would be a good practice in Audacity for you to make these small corrections (I remember you : just small corrections of these very short parts of the full recording)

Just, when you will reload the section, let us know exactly what you will have modified or not, to enable us an ease and quick check
Bye, Pier
deyandriotti

Post by deyandriotti »

Hello Kit
Hello Pier

I tried to substitute the mistakes but I have found some problems with the quality of the final piece. All because I have lost the original. When I saved the project, I didn't save the original, but the final cut and noise reduction version. So, when I try to paste the new record, the result is very different from the rest of the reading. Since the mistakes doesn't change the meaning of the text, I think it would be better to preserve the record as the way it is.
I corrected the footnote cutting it and the file name problem. I hope it's ok now!

here the upload link

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/contosphantasticos_07_braga_128kb.mp3

best regards
Dey
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

deyandriotti wrote: March 25th, 2019, 8:16 pmI tried to substitute the mistakes but I have found some problems with the quality of the final piece. All because I have lost the original. When I saved the project, I didn't save the original, but the final cut and noise reduction version. So, when I try to paste the new record, the result is very different from the rest of the reading.
I never work on my original file either, so it's possible to correct on the new file and make the sound seem similar.

You maybe be going about it the wrong way. Here is what I do to insert corrected parts:

1) listen to the sentence with the error, and try two or three times to say it with the same intonation as you did back then, preferably also in the same spot where you recorded
2) open a NEW Audacity window, and record your corrected sentence in that one
3) make a round of noise-cleaning (like you did with the previous file) and amplify, so that you are in the same volume than the previous file
4) now highlight the corrected sentence, and copy/paste it over the wrong sentence in the original file
5) finally, listen to the sentence before and after your new corrected sentence, and if the volume is still too loud or not loud enough, then you can highlight it again and amplify a bit more so that it fits

This should do the trick. There may always be a bit of a sound difference, but with practice you'll get better and better. So I would really recommend learning the editing process. This time it's not a change in meaning, so you don't have to correct it, but it would be good practice because one day you may make an error which changes the meaning and then you have to correct it. By then it would be good to be a bit practiced in the art of editing. ;)

It sounds like a tricky business but if you get the hang of it, it's really routine. And it is so rewarding when you "nail" a correction one day, making it sound so seemless that nobody will notice it's a correction. :9: I was always grateful for every correction I had to make in my beginning days, because it gave me the practice I needed to get better.

I let Pier Spot PL the section. Thanks ! And please, always tell us the length of the file !

Sonia
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

deyandriotti wrote: March 25th, 2019, 8:16 pm

I tried to substitute the mistakes but I have found some problems with the quality of the final piece. All because I have lost the original. When I saved the project, I didn't save the original, but the final cut and noise reduction version. So, when I try to paste the new record, the result is very different from the rest of the reading. Since the mistakes doesn't change the meaning of the text, I think it would be better to preserve the record as the way it is.
I corrected the footnote cutting it and the file name problem. I hope it's ok now!

here the upload link

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/contosphantasticos_07_braga_128kb.mp3

best regards
Dey
O.K. Dey to preserve the record the way it is but just with a final correction. You correctly cut the footnote at the end of the recording, but you read as disclaimer "Fim de As aguias do norte". The correct disclaimer has to be: "Fim da seção [##]" as indicated below the Magic Window, that" is in our case, " Fim da seção 7". Sorry I didn't mention to you before (my fault :( !) but is better in Librivox that all disclaimers of a project are similar. Also please leave only approximately 5 additional seconds at the end of your recording and not more (You left approximately 8 seconds).
Sorry to be so "meticulous", but this correction should be easy to make.
i would just mention to you that in case you lost your Audacity file and have just the corresponding mp3, you can easily restore your original Audacity file just "dragging" the mp3 file in an empty Audacity windows.
Best luck this time.
Pier
DanielaCruzMoreira

Post by DanielaCruzMoreira »

Hi Sonia,

I am having a lot of troubles with Audacity. :| I cannot play with the amplification and noise reduction without doing a big mess. I amplified my record and reduced the noise, as you previously told me. But now i have a lot of noise while talking, that I honestly don’t know how to get ride of... could you give me some hints?

Thanks,
Daniela
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DanielaCruzMoreira wrote: March 27th, 2019, 4:41 pmI am having a lot of troubles with Audacity. :| I cannot play with the amplification and noise reduction without doing a big mess. I amplified my record and reduced the noise, as you previously told me. But now i have a lot of noise while talking, that I honestly don’t know how to get ride of... could you give me some hints?
Hello Daniela

I already replied to your PM just now and I can offer you again, that you may upload the file without any noise-cleaning. Only make sure your text is correct, no errors, no stumbles, no repeats. Then Pier and I can have a look at the audio-quality and see what we can do to improve it and let you know. Maybe you used the wrong numbers in the Noise cleaning function, this could distort the sound if the numbers are too aggressive. I'll have a look if you upload the file raw. :)

We'll figure something out, don't worry.

Sonia
DanielaCruzMoreira

Post by DanielaCruzMoreira »

Kitty wrote: March 28th, 2019, 12:28 am
DanielaCruzMoreira wrote: March 27th, 2019, 4:41 pmI am having a lot of troubles with Audacity. :| I cannot play with the amplification and noise reduction without doing a big mess. I amplified my record and reduced the noise, as you previously told me. But now i have a lot of noise while talking, that I honestly don’t know how to get ride of... could you give me some hints?
Hello Daniela

I already replied to your PM just now and I can offer you again, that you may upload the file without any noise-cleaning. Only make sure your text is correct, no errors, no stumbles, no repeats. Then Pier and I can have a look at the audio-quality and see what we can do to improve it and let you know. Maybe you used the wrong numbers in the Noise cleaning function, this could distort the sound if the numbers are too aggressive. I'll have a look if you upload the file raw. :)

We'll figure something out, don't worry.

Sonia
Hi Sonia,

Here you have my raw file.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/contosphantasticos_16_braga_128k_cut_raw.mp3

I did a new one, it is better that the previous but there is a moment where the noise restarts. I am sorry, I actually have no idea on how to make it better :(

Please let me know if there is somethink that is possible to do

cheers,
Daniela
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DanielaCruzMoreira wrote: April 13th, 2019, 9:20 amHere you have my raw file.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/contosphantasticos_16_braga_128k_cut_raw.mp3
I did a new one, it is better that the previous but there is a moment where the noise restarts. I am sorry, I actually have no idea on how to make it better :(
Please let me know if there is somethink that is possible to do
thank you Daniela

ok, first what I noticed is, your volume is much too low, only 72.7 dB. So I had to amplify by 15 to get into our desired range of 86-92 dB. And yes the background noise is there. I cleaned it as best I could now, but there is still some slight buzzing in the parts where you speak. Still, I think Pier can listen to this now and check whether there are any textual errors. And Pier: please let me know if the noise is too disturbing for you. To my ears it was ok, as the voice was still louder. But if you think it needs more cleaning, let us know.

Here is the new file: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/contosphantasticos_16_braga_128kb.mp3

Also: I cut the beginning silence which was over 4 seconds and pasted them at the end ;) Our standard is: not more than 1 second at the beginning and 5 seconds at the end. You did it the other way around.

So for the rest, I let Pier check it.

And please, you can always upload your second version (but with a different file name please !) We could have a look if that one is better in audio quality.

For future sections, maybe you need to find out what is causing the noise. :hmm: Maybe from the computer fan, then you need to move the mic further away. Or can you unplug the computer and run on battery while recording ? That would help too.

And can you somehow boost your mic from the start, so you record already louder from the beginning ? Also check in Audacity whether the slider bar next to the mic icon is all the way up to the + sign.

Now waiting for Pier's feedback, before you need to do anything else.

Sonia