Teenage volunteers

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Carice

Post by Carice »

Hi, I have looked but couldn’t see info re this, apologies if I have missed it. Are teenagers able to volunteer? I am asking for a 13 year old who is interested.

Thanks!
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Yes! At least I’m pretty sure. I am a teenage volunteer too and I had no problem, but I joined when I was older than 13. When registering if I remember correctly you could select if you are over 13 or under 13 (I don’t remember which one 13 was grouped with). If you are under 13 I believe you just need a guardians permission. I may be incorrect though.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Carice

Post by Carice »

Fab! Thankyou so much for replying so quickly. That’s really helpful :-)
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Carice wrote: March 25th, 2019, 8:40 am Hi, I have looked but couldn’t see info re this, apologies if I have missed it. Are teenagers able to volunteer? I am asking for a 13 year old who is interested.
We even have kids reading here :) Like Campbell already said, they need the permission of their guardians. I am not sure where to send this, hopefully an admin will step by to clarify this part.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I was under 13 when I joined, and it went through. All you need to do, is include the guardians' email. When your registering an account, it has the option: "were you born on or before March 25th 2006" (in this case, since that is the day I sent this) "Or were you born after March 25th 2006". :D <smile>
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Admin here stepping in to say that all the above replies are correct. :)
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

We have at least two adult volunteers who have their children registered as readers. They created their kids' accounts and manage them, and claim sections by posting something like "My daughter would like to read chapter 1. Her user name is ______."
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Adding on here:

I know that kids CAN volunteer for LV, since I've seen it time and time again, but is there anything that says that kids under 13 can't have their own accounts, managing them and everything? I think I read something about it in the Wiki, somewhere. I just can't remember. I think it's the parents' choice, though, to let their kids have their own accounts and post their own replies without parental supervision. Right?
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
lymiewithpurpose

JayKitty76 wrote: March 25th, 2019, 3:47 pm Adding on here:

I know that kids CAN volunteer for LV, since I've seen it time and time again, but is there anything that says that kids under 13 can't have their own accounts, managing them and everything? I think I read something about it in the Wiki, somewhere. I just can't remember. I think it's the parents' choice, though, to let their kids have their own accounts and post their own replies without parental supervision. Right?
I do not believe parents have to manage their children's accounts. They just have to approve of it. So if I were a 12 year old, my parent would have to say 'yes, my kid can do this', but I could still manage it. However, if I were 6, my parents probably would manage it for me. I could be wrong here though.
Campbell
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 25th, 2019, 3:52 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: March 25th, 2019, 3:47 pm Adding on here:

I do not believe parents have to manage their children's accounts. They just have to approve of it. So if I were a 12 year old, my parent would have to say 'yes, my kid can do this', but I could still manage it. However, if I were 6, my parents probably would manage it for me. I could be wrong here though.
Right. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. So it's basically the parents' choice. Because almost every parent knows that a 6 year old probably isn't capable of handling everything on here, while it's based on what the 12 year old is like...if s/he is responsible enough to manage it, etc. Thanks, Campbell, for replying :wink:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

If you're six years old, your parents would handle more than just the account. They would also have to handle the editing, the uploading, the posting...

Just sayin'. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
lymiewithpurpose

Availle wrote: March 25th, 2019, 4:05 pm If you're six years old, your parents would handle more than just the account. They would also have to handle the editing, the uploading, the posting...

True. That would be a lot of work :shock:. Glad I only have to manage myself :D
Campbell
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

This conversation is mixing up 2 things - children's capabilities and American law .
COPPA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Online_Privacy_Protection_Act makes us have parental permission for people under 13 to join (which seems a good idea to me)
But once that is done we don't care how old people are - if a baby could handle everything and upload usable completed files they could. but realistically I think they would need a lot of help :D

Anne
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Availle wrote: March 25th, 2019, 4:05 pm If you're six years old, your parents would handle more than just the account. They would also have to handle the editing, the uploading, the posting...

:lol: Yeah. Missed that. That's what I meant. :lol:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

My parents still supervise me when I make recordings, especially when I'm recording at 1.00am.