COMPLETE [FICTION] The Cliff-Dwellers by Henry B. Fuller-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

SabaFatima91 wrote: March 24th, 2019, 1:42 pm Hi there!

I would like to stick with the name Saba Fatima.
And I do not have a website yet but my Instagram handle is @quotes_by_sf (writing blog) and @design_matters_by_sf (design blog) in case they will do.

Thankyou so much.

Will try my best to read this well. Hopefully you will guide me through. :)

Regards,
Saba Fatima
Great! I do believe that we do have to have a url. When I go to enter a new reader it asks for forum name, display name, and website. However this website is optional, so if you do not have one I can always leave it blank. Would you like me to do this, or should I ask around to see if Instagram handles are allowed? I am happy to do so if you would like.

And yes, please feel free to ask as many questions as you need. I am happy to help :D. I am sure you will have a lot of fun!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
SabaFatima91

Post by SabaFatima91 »

Following is the URL to my Instagram page. It is a public page and I would love to have it featured in case it is allowed. And also because I would love to share the link of my librivox works there as well.

https://www.instagram.com/quotes_by_sf/

And if it is not allowed then you can leave the blank. It can always get filled later, right?

As for recording, the settings and rules are same as it was for the 1 minute test right? And do I have to record the whole chapter in one stretch or submit it part by part?
lymiewithpurpose

SabaFatima91 wrote: March 25th, 2019, 12:35 am Following is the URL to my Instagram page. It is a public page and I would love to have it featured in case it is allowed. And also because I would love to share the link of my librivox works there as well.

https://www.instagram.com/quotes_by_sf/

And if it is not allowed then you can leave the blank. It can always get filled later, right?

As for recording, the settings and rules are same as it was for the 1 minute test right? And do I have to record the whole chapter in one stretch or submit it part by part?
Sounds great! As it is a url I see no problem with it. I just didn't know that Instagram could have urls :D. And yes, it can always be changed later, but an admin would have to do that for you. Your new reader page can be found here: https://librivox.org/reader/13247. It shows a list of all your recordings. If you click on the link that says 'reader section details', you will see a handy list of your sections. They will show what stage they are at (assigned, ready for PL, etc.) so you can easily remember what you need to do. If you ever decided to proof listen you can see those sections as well.

And yeparooski, the one minute test settings should stay exactly the same :D. The purpose of the one minute test is to make sure that the technical settings are exactly the way we need them. As for other rules, they should be the same. The first post of any project will always have instructions on disclaimers to use, how to name your files, and have any special instructions that your BC wants you to follow. You should submit the chapter in one part. However, this does not mean you have to record it in one setting. You can always record some then come back later to finish it. Does this make sense? Enjoy yourself :D!
Campbell
SabaFatima91

Post by SabaFatima91 »

Thanks a lot!

I'll be recording and submitting the initial part soon. 😊
SabaFatima91

Post by SabaFatima91 »

Hello,

I have recorded only two paragraphs and even that was tough and I had to repeat a lot many times as I have not adapted well with Audacity yet.

Can you please listen to the small portion I read and let me know if the reading is okay? And whether I can continue similarly? The noise reduction has not reduced the noise entirely. If I make it almost mute the voice gets mumbled.
Give your suggestion on how to proceed.

And when I submit the entire chapter's recording can there be many files, part-wise?

Here is my recording,
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/cliffdwellers_02_fuller_128kbp.mp3

Time:1:56

Regards,
Saba Fatima
lymiewithpurpose

Hey there! Thanks for checking in! By repeat a lot, do you mean repeat the entire paragraphs? What most of us do is just repeat the sentence/phrase that we stumbled over. Then, after we are done recording, we delete the sentence that we messed up. So yes, editing does take a long time but it helps us not have to repeat the entire thing :D. Does that make sense?

I did listen to the little section. For this project, I am not the proof listener (ChuckW is), so I will not be listening to the entire thing for mistakes. Since this was short, I did go ahead and listen :D. That reading sounds fine to me! That being said I did not check it against the text, but Chuck will do that once the whole file is submitted. One word of caution, watch out for that intro disclaimer! I think a little bit of your wording may be off :wink:. As for the noise reduction, I do agree that it is a bit tricky. If I were you, I would run it one more time with the numbers 8, 6, and 0 (in respective order). Your voice does sound slightly muffled there, but I think we will have to compromise that :cry:. It will still sound lovely however!

When you submit the recording, we do ask that it all be in one file. That being said, technically you could record in many different files. You would just have to copy the audio from one file and put it into another. But do not feel pressured to record in one sitting :D.

Let me know if you have more questions!
Campbell
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

bhavya wrote: March 19th, 2019, 3:40 am https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/cliffdwellers_00_fuller_128kb.mp3
7:21

Introduction for PL!
Sorry it took so long to PL this. I just started a new job and am essentially working at two places at once while I transition from one workplace to another. :shock:

Anyway, a nice start! Here are some of the PL notes for this section:

0:26 - I hear “re… territory”
0:47 - slight hesitation
2:11 - I hear “perpendular” — should be “perpendicular”
2:17 - another slight hesitation
4:15 - hesitation
4:41 - the line “and a great host of other modern monsters” is clipped, with some words missing
6:07 - made an error, then said “mistake”
6:19 - made an error, then said “mistake”
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
lymiewithpurpose

ChuckW wrote: March 28th, 2019, 8:19 pm
bhavya wrote: March 19th, 2019, 3:40 am https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/cliffdwellers_00_fuller_128kb.mp3
7:21

Introduction for PL!
Sorry it took so long to PL this. I just started a new job and am essentially working at two places at once while I transition from one workplace to another. :shock:

Anyway, a nice start! Here are some of the PL notes for this section:

0:26 - I hear “re… territory”
0:47 - slight hesitation
2:11 - I hear “perpendular” — should be “perpendicular”
2:17 - another slight hesitation
4:15 - hesitation
4:41 - the line “and a great host of other modern monsters” is clipped, with some words missing
6:07 - made an error, then said “mistake”
6:19 - made an error, then said “mistake”
Thanks Chuck! Hope your transition goes smoothly :D
Campbell
SabaFatima91

Post by SabaFatima91 »

Thanks for the suggestions. Will follow those and submit once I record the whole file. :D
lymiewithpurpose

Just want to make sure - those notes from Chuck were not for you. They were for the other section recorded. Just wanted to make sure so you don’t go and try to fix all of that :D
Campbell
SabaFatima91

Post by SabaFatima91 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 29th, 2019, 7:46 am Just want to make sure - those notes from Chuck were not for you. They were for the other section recorded. Just wanted to make sure so you don’t go and try to fix all of that :D

Haha. Yes, I know. I meant for the suggestions you gave. 😛
Will work on that and post.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 29th, 2019, 7:46 am Just want to make sure - those notes from Chuck were not for you. They were for the other section recorded. Just wanted to make sure so you don’t go and try to fix all of that :D

Drat. I’ll fix that when I get to a computer. Sorry.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
lymiewithpurpose

ChuckW wrote: March 29th, 2019, 10:13 am

Drat. I’ll fix that when I get to a computer. Sorry.
No, you did it right! I was just slightly confused because soon after you posted the notes she responded and said she would work on the suggestions. I just wanted to make sure she was working on the suggestions I had given her previously and not thinking those notes were for her. Everything looks good to me :D
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

Hey there Chuck! I decided to record a few chapters of this book as it sparked my interest, and I have the first chapter, 11, ready for PLing! No rush to get to it, whenever your busy work schedule allows it is fine :D.
Campbell
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

Sorry for uploading so late,
But here is introduction for spot PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/cliffdwellers_00_fuller_128kb.mp3