COMPLETE[PLAY]Mrs. Pretty and The Premier by Arthur Adams - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your patience! I was - as we say in Aus - "pretty crook" for quite a while!

I just uploaded both acts for Herbert Dix.

Best,
Pete
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
~ Charles Bukowski
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

And their file names are ...?

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Sorry Todd and thanks Sonia!
~ Charles Bukowski
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok had a listen and your accent is GREAT !!! Sounds quite Australian (to me at least :lol: ) You gave him a great character, a tad rough and snobbish, but efficient in his job. :thumbs: I liked it immensely. And especially this intro scene where he speaks on the phone, that's well done, leaving a bit of pause to listen to the person on the other end. Good effect.

Act 2 is already PL ok, although it might need a bit of amplification still, but Todd can do that while editing. So Act 2 can get assembled NOW :9:

I hope you haven't run away yet, because I need some corrections in Act 1 still before this is done. Here's the list. I wouldn't have mentioned the longer breaks you need to insert, but since you have to correct some spots anyway, let's make it easier on Todd's editing and insert longer breaks where they are needed in the process ;)

> at 0:01: for the voice credit could you please give us the "full" description, as in the MW ? "Herbert Dix, The Premier's Chief Private Secretary, read by Peter Musgrove". We always use the exact description from the book for the credits

> at 4:17: (p. 95) before "and get on with your work" - could you leave also here 2 seconds of silence for the stage directions, please ?

> at about 4:32: (p. 96) missing line: "Personal - of the utmost urgency. I wonder if he knows anything about that... ? Any ladies, Gregory ?"

> at 6:21: (p. 98) "Teach him. William Power" - if I may suggest an improvement in intonation here. Yours sounds like you order W. Power to teach the guy. But W. Power is actually the Premier himself who wrote the order and signed it with his name. So it should be "Teach him ! (signed) William Power." I'm sure you know how I mean. ;)

> at 6:50-6:53: (p. 99) "what's her name ? Oh, Mrs Arthur Pretty" - you can cut the long pause here as it's the same "speaking chunk" uninterrupted by stage directions

> at 7:16: (p. 107) between "quite right Gregory" and "here" we need more pause for the directions

> at 8:34: (p. 108) between "kindly wait in that room" and "I'll promise you" - again we need more pause to insert stage directions

So basically only 3 lines re-recorded, I hope your vocal chords are good enough again to do those. :?

Thank you so much, this will be excellent once assembled. :9:

Sonia
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hi Sonia,

Wow, I have some editing to do! No worries, I'll get onto it immediately. As in right now and re-upload in a bit.

Best,
Pete
~ Charles Bukowski
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PeterMusgrove wrote: March 21st, 2019, 12:23 pm Wow, I have some editing to do! No worries, I'll get onto it immediately. As in right now and re-upload in a bit.
:thumbs: excellent ! thank you

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 2 assembled; I need to do a final grooming before it will be ready for PL.

Thanks, Todd
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hi Todd and Sonia,

Here is the amended Dix file for Act One

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mrsprettyandthepremier_dix_1_128kb.mp3
Best,
Pete
~ Charles Bukowski
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 2 is ready for final PL.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PeterMusgrove wrote: March 21st, 2019, 1:50 pm Here is the amended Dix file for Act One
thank you, Pete, for getting on this immediately. Now it's PL ok. "Teach him !" is perfect now. That's the way the Premier would bark in a letter :lol:

Todd: Act 1 is also ready for the finalization now. We can put this on our March completion list :9: I think you can just fit in Dix without going over the 74-minute-limit. Let's hope...

And now I look forward to listening to Act 2... :9:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: March 21st, 2019, 6:15 pmAct 2 is ready for final PL.
ooooh this Act is even better than the final act. :9: each dialogue is wonderful. I really think we were all very well cast in our roles. Great job, Todd, I see you left many stage directions out and I agree with them all.

Actually...I think I would even cut two more, and shorten a few breaks, if you would consider those:

> at 23:38: (p. 124) “Effie through her tears” – can be cut out, Devorah is weeping enough here to convey the idea

> at 39:32: (p. 128) “Helen impulsively and sincerely” – maybe cutting this out and letting Helen interrupt Power would sound more fluent

> at 45:50 and 45:52 and 45:55: (p. 130) “that woman is... – no no ! – Yes !” – I would cut even a bit more pause here, so that it’s quicker paced, especially between “no” and “yes”

> at 46:47: (p. 130) “Vernon ! You ! – I find you here in that man’s arms” – less pause here too, he must cut her off in the heat of the moment

> at 55:54: (p. 133) Mrs Cusack had a funnily startled “oh!” at the beginning of “another pair” (at 3:50 in Sandra’s file), I think it would be nice to include that one

That's all, the rest is perfect. Now looking forward to Act 1. Funny how I listened to the play in reverse :lol:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 2 changes made - I agree with them all - and it is ready for spot PL.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 4:22 amAct 2 changes made - I agree with them all - and it is ready for spot PL.
excellent, thank you, now totally PL ok. :thumbs:

We might finish this one over the weekend. :9: But the first act is huge :shock:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Huge, but it is all assembled just waiting to drop in the missing parts.... So this weekend is possible.

Thanks, Todd