[Complete] Lives Of The Most Remarkable Criminals Vol 2 - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I have a feeling we are all over-thinking this. I will bow out and leave it to readers’ discretion.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thank you
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Lynnet wrote: March 20th, 2019, 9:07 pm I have a feeling we are all over-thinking this. I will bow out and leave it to readers’ discretion.
I think so too... sorry for bringing it up. I thought there was a general policy about this. It's strange that I haven't run into this yet! You learn new things every day!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

I would like to add to my claim, and read Chapters 40-43.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Ariphron wrote: March 20th, 2019, 9:12 pm I would like to add to my claim, and read Chapters 40-43.
Thank you
TwoFace

Post by TwoFace »

Here is Chapter 24: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_24_hayward_128kb.mp3
Again starting with a 73 word sentence, which i just don't have the breath for. But i gave up on the idea of reading every sentence without interrupting and took a breath after commas, editing out the space, which has worked well to overcome this :) I wish i could remember the words i learn to pronounce in these sections just to sometimes sneak them into my conversations and sounds incredibly well educated :D
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

TwoFace wrote: March 21st, 2019, 1:22 pm Here is Chapter 24: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_24_hayward_128kb.mp3
Again starting with a 73 word sentence, which i just don't have the breath for. But i gave up on the idea of reading every sentence without interrupting and took a breath after commas, editing out the space, which has worked well to overcome this :) I wish i could remember the words i learn to pronounce in these sections just to sometimes sneak them into my conversations and sounds incredibly well educated :D
Thank you. How long is it, please?
TwoFace

Post by TwoFace »

Dammit i can't believe i forgot it again !!! Sorry :D
Its 3:43
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

TwoFace wrote: March 21st, 2019, 1:36 pm Dammit i can't believe i forgot it again !!! Sorry :D
Its 3:43
:thumbs:
lymiewithpurpose

Ariphron wrote: March 20th, 2019, 9:00 pm Here is Chapter 8 (9:12).

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_08_hayward_128kb.mp3

Typos corrected in this one:
for “this inclinations” read “his inclinations”
for “make use of diem” read “make use of them”
for “after ms being settled” read “after his being settled”
Quite a few typos, huh? Strange that there are so many. Anyways, nice recording that is perfectly deserving of a PL OK! Quite a fascinating section with information on laws. Enjoyed it!
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

TwoFace wrote: March 21st, 2019, 1:22 pm Here is Chapter 24: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_24_hayward_128kb.mp3
Wow, that would be insane to be able to read such long sentences in one breath! I tend to breathe after every comma. And there is absolutely no need to cut them out, that is a lot of work! In fact, leaving it in can add a natural feeling to it. But if you want to cut the breaths out that's ok too, just a lot of work! Anyways, this recording is perfectly OK. Nice work!
Campbell
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 21st, 2019, 3:17 pm
Ariphron wrote: March 20th, 2019, 9:00 pm Here is Chapter 8 (9:12).

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_08_hayward_128kb.mp3

Typos corrected in this one:
for “this inclinations” read “his inclinations”
for “make use of diem” read “make use of them”
for “after ms being settled” read “after his being settled”
Quite a few typos, huh? Strange that there are so many. Anyways, nice recording that is perfectly deserving of a PL OK! Quite a fascinating section with information on laws. Enjoyed it!
Interesting that so many typos got through Gutenberg... they have 3 different proofreaders check, then someone reads the whole book to check the flow! You can report errors directly to Gutenberg... I’ve never done it, so cannot advise on the process.
lymiewithpurpose

Lynnet wrote: March 21st, 2019, 3:57 pm Interesting that so many typos got through Gutenberg... they have 3 different proofreaders check, then someone reads the whole book to check the flow! You can report errors directly to Gutenberg... I’ve never done it, so cannot advise on the process.
Good to know... most Gutenberg books I've read have had very few typos. This one seems to have more than normal :hmm:
Campbell
wildlindajohnson

Post by wildlindajohnson »

Here are the very brief Sections 17 and 18:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_17_hayward_128kb.mp3 [5:05]
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_18_hayward_128kb.mp3 [3:53]

A couple of notes:
The author used, in many spots, dashes in place of mild expletives which wouldn't have been permitted in those days, leaving it to us poor readers to guess at what he might have written. If you believe they should be omitted or spoken differently, please let me know & I'll happily re-record.

As to the ongoing discussion of Chapter vs Section naming protocol...the instructions direct us to say "Chapter" so that's what we say even though this book doesn't actually number the chapters. So when a long chapter is broken into Parts I & II, the Section numbers no longer match up. Result here is that Section 17 is technically the 16th Chapter, but I spoke it as Chapter 17. Again, if you want it done differently I'm glad to oblige. As I see it, the only way to avoid this dilemma is to use the "Section" naming convention all the way through...just my two cents :idea:
Linda Johnson
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

wildlindajohnson wrote: March 21st, 2019, 8:41 pm Here are the very brief Sections 17 and 18:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_17_hayward_128kb.mp3 [5:05]
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_18_hayward_128kb.mp3 [3:53]

A couple of notes:
The author used, in many spots, dashes in place of mild expletives which wouldn't have been permitted in those days, leaving it to us poor readers to guess at what he might have written. If you believe they should be omitted or spoken differently, please let me know & I'll happily re-record.

As to the ongoing discussion of Chapter vs Section naming protocol...the instructions direct us to say "Chapter" so that's what we say even though this book doesn't actually number the chapters. So when a long chapter is broken into Parts I & II, the Section numbers no longer match up. Result here is that Section 17 is technically the 16th Chapter, but I spoke it as Chapter 17. Again, if you want it done differently I'm glad to oblige. As I see it, the only way to avoid this dilemma is to use the "Section" naming convention all the way through...just my two cents :idea:
Thank you.
And you are right, Linda. I just didn't think it through enough when I set up the project :oops: The default is "chapter", but the BC can change any of the instructions he/she wishes. It would be unreasonable for me to say to everyone they should re-record the intros/outros to say "section" at this late stage, so we'll just have to be inconsistent. Sorry if this gives anyone sleepless nights :(