Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Campbell
pronouns: they/them
lymiewithpurpose

TwoFace wrote: March 19th, 2019, 10:22 am
wildlindajohnson wrote: March 19th, 2019, 8:37 am I'll take Chapters 15 through 18.
Wow you are really going "wild" :lol: Thanks for the work ! I am impressed :)

Just finished my first contribution: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_12_hayward_128kb.mp3

I would love to get some feedback so i can improve ! Anything that comes to mind i am very open to criticism. Thanks
It was a good thing that i followed the steps and not pushed for a 500 Page Solo Project as soon as i joined. It really is a bit more work than i anticipated. I thought my English skills were good but i forgot that i never learned about really old words in school. I had to google a few, some of them left me puzzled even after listening to the pronunciation 10 times in a row. Like ignominious or facetious, because my brain wants to pronounce them so differently from their looks. I also found out that you can't just record a text on the go, that you have to read first and recording is the second step. Great learning experience and i am looking forward to reading more :)
Greetings Benni from Germany
Hey there Benni! First of all, welcome to LibriVox! I hope you are enjoying your time here. I think it's a lot of fun :D. Sounds like you had a bit of a learning curve! I agree, solos can be a lot of work. I often find that I spend around 3 times as long editing as I do recording. Very time consuming. But hey, that's why we recommend contributing to a group project first, so you can learn these things! The vocabulary that you learned is great, I do have to admit even as a native English speaker I had never heard of 'facetious'! These words are hard. Ok, now to your notes :D:

0:24 – For the chapter number you said - ‘12’ please say ‘Chapter 12’. This makes it so the listeners know what you are talking about. If you just say a number, it could be anything :D
You did mention your ending silence being a bit long, I agree. We ask for about 5 seconds at the end, yours is almost at 8. So if you could cut it down around three seconds that would be great.
Please re upload with these fixes.

You asked for feedback on anything, so I'll go ahead and give you my thoughts. That was a lovely reading. I particularly loved the voices! I see you claimed some sections in our Drama forum, I think you'll find that you fit right in (I am very active there, it is a lot of fun!). You had a very nice, smooth flow. However this flow was so smooth that at times your words blended together a little bit, a bit more diction wouldn't hurt :D. Your pacing was also very nice, I didn't feel like I was rushing to catch up or getting bored by the slowness. One thing that maybe could be improved upon is the breaks between sentences. Sometimes they felt just a tad short, like I had not finished processing one sentence before the other began. You had great intonation, not monotone but not so crazy that it seemed like an adventure book. Your pronunciation was great, overall just a pleasure to listen to. I hope to see you around some more, I think you will do awesome here :D
Campbell
TwoFace

Post by TwoFace »

Hey Lymie,
thank you so much for your long detailed feedback ! Much appreciated :) I corrected the Chapter 12 and shortened the silence at the end to 5 seconds. (https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_12_hayward_128kb.mp3) I also edited the space between the sentences so there is a small increase in space between them.
I have to admit i liked thinking and trying out voices more than expected so you will definitely see me in the Drama forum :D
I think that a few times i ran out of breath and pushed it a bit too hard so some words flowed a little too close together. I will try to avoid that next time !
Thanks for all the kind words lovely to hear and you can expect me to stay around :)
Greetings Benni
wildlindajohnson

Post by wildlindajohnson »

Linda Johnson
wildlindajohnson

Linda Johnson
TwoFace

Post by TwoFace »

Wow Linda thank you so much you are so fast and great !
I would like to claim Section 24 :)
wildlindajohnson

TwoFace wrote: March 20th, 2019, 6:32 am Wow Linda thank you so much you are so fast and great !
:thumbs: :thumbs:
Linda Johnson
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

wildlindajohnson wrote: March 19th, 2019, 6:48 pm Here's Chapter 15 Part 1:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_15_hayward_128kb.mp3 [32:48]
Thank you!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

TwoFace wrote: March 20th, 2019, 6:32 am Wow Linda thank you so much you are so fast and great !
Enjoy. And I hope you find it less challenging!
lymiewithpurpose

TwoFace wrote: March 19th, 2019, 5:41 pm Hey Lymie,
thank you so much for your long detailed feedback ! Much appreciated :) I corrected the Chapter 12 and shortened the silence at the end to 5 seconds. (https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_12_hayward_128kb.mp3) I also edited the space between the sentences so there is a small increase in space between them.
I have to admit i liked thinking and trying out voices more than expected so you will definitely see me in the Drama forum :D
I think that a few times i ran out of breath and pushed it a bit too hard so some words flowed a little too close together. I will try to avoid that next time !
Thanks for all the kind words lovely to hear and you can expect me to stay around :)
Greetings Benni
Great! I'm glad you liked it, and I'm sure to see you around the drama forum :D. I listened to the fixes, sounded great! I also listened to a minute or so for the pauses between sentences, sounded much better as well. I also glanced through on Audacity to make sure there were no extra long pauses, looked fine in that respect too. All perfectly OK, nice job!
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_15_hayward_128kb.mp3 [32:48]
wildlindajohnson wrote: March 20th, 2019, 6:29 am Here's Chapter 15 Part 2 (aka Section 16):

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_16_hayward_128kb.mp3 [30:12]
Hey there! Nice readings like normal, very smooth and easy to listen to. I only have one note:

I believe these are considered two separate chapters, the first being Chapter 15 and the second Chapter 16. This would mean your disclaimers should be tweaked. In section 15, you would remove the 'Part 1' from the ending disclaimer. In Section 16, the beginning and ending would be changed from 'Chapter 15 Part 1' to 'Chapter 16'. Lynnet, please correct me if I am wrong on this. I think this is the way I have heard it before, as it creates distinction for listeners. Also, later readers will be naming their chapters based off of the sections in the MW, and if we use Chapter 15 for both we will miss a number somewhere. Hope this makes sense!
Campbell
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 20th, 2019, 6:45 pm

wildlindajohnson wrote: March 20th, 2019, 6:29 am Here's Chapter 15 Part 2 (aka Section 16):

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_16_hayward_128kb.mp3 [30:12]
Hey there! Nice readings like normal, very smooth and easy to listen to. I only have one note:

I believe these are considered two separate chapters, the first being Chapter 15 and the second Chapter 16. This would mean your disclaimers should be tweaked. In section 15, you would remove the 'Part 1' from the ending disclaimer. In Section 16, the beginning and ending would be changed from 'Chapter 15 Part 1' to 'Chapter 16'. Lynnet, please correct me if I am wrong on this. I think this is the way I have heard it before, as it creates distinction for listeners. Also, later readers will be naming their chapters based off of the sections in the MW, and if we use Chapter 15 for both we will miss a number somewhere. Hope this makes sense!
There is no rule about this, so it is down to individual BCs. It would be incorrect to call section 16 chapter 16, as it isn’t that.
It can be called chapter 15 part 2 (as long as the file is numbered _16_), or called “section 16”... but this would be inconsistent with the other chapters/sections. So... I would prefer it to be left as Parts 1 and 2. I think most listeners are sophisticated enough to understand a two part chapter (and, sometimes, they get broken down more than that) — that is, if they pay attention at all.
lymiewithpurpose

Lynnet wrote: March 20th, 2019, 6:55 pm There is no rule about this, so it is down to individual BCs. It would be incorrect to call section 16 chapter 16, as it isn’t that.
It can be called chapter 15 part 2 (as long as the file is numbered _16_), or called “section 16”... but this would be inconsistent with the other chapters/sections. So... I would prefer it to be left as Parts 1 and 2. I think most listeners are sophisticated enough to understand a two part chapter (and, sometimes, they get broken down more than that) — that is, if they pay attention at all.
Perfect! Thanks for the clarification! I was more thinking along the lines of if it goes from Chapter 15 part 2 to Chapter 17, then listeners might think they're missing something. But obviously you're way more experienced with this type of thing and I trust your judgment above mine :D.

Then Linda, the chapters are PL OK!
Campbell
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

Lynnet wrote: March 20th, 2019, 6:55 pm
There is no rule about this, so it is down to individual BCs. It would be incorrect to call section 16 chapter 16, as it isn’t that.
How is #20 introduced? When I record #3 and #4 I will want to be consistent with the others, although in the absence of a consensus I would prefer "Section 3" and "Section 4," with closing "End of Section 3. Chapter continues in section 4." That way, listeners hear the number used in cataloging, and the shift in terminology clues the listener in to the fact that the file does not coincide with a chapter of the book.
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

Here is Chapter 8 (9:12).

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mostremarkablecriminals2_08_hayward_128kb.mp3

Typos corrected in this one:
for “this inclinations” read “his inclinations”
for “make use of diem” read “make use of them”
for “after ms being settled” read “after his being settled”
Last edited by Ariphron on March 20th, 2019, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.