COMPLETE [FORTNIGHTLY POEM] Love's Language, Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Here is corrected version Michele!

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/loveslanguage_wilcox_nr_128kb.mp3

My eyes saw a repeat of the opening line of "How does love speak" and never saw the "doth" at the end ...geeez! :D
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
msfry

Post by msfry »

Nemo, Campbell, my :D proves a valid patent to your diligence, both PL OK!

Tovarisch, thanks for your contribution. patently PL OK as well! :lol:

Thus doth Michele speak.
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: March 19th, 2019, 6:50 pm
msfry wrote: March 19th, 2019, 6:37 pm Will somebody please interpret this line for me:

The smile that proves the patent to a sigh—

I have no idea what it means. Thanks.
The sigh, is it a sad sigh, or a tired one or a happy one? An accompanying smile would lend credence to the sigh as being a happy one.
"... prove the patent to <something>" means to give bona fides to that <something>. IMHO
Sad sighs, happy sighs, indifferent sighs, and facial expressions to second the validity of each. I think I'm getting it now. Still, it's a tortuous line, the kind I'm always tempted to re-write. :?
skipg

Post by skipg »

My try; I've only done a couple weekly poems so far, so the longer length of this poem was a challenge! I'm sure it's nothing to the expert folks here, but phew, as a newbie, it's harder than expected not to goof up somewhere along the the 2 minute stretch. But I guess the silver lining is that goofing up makes me re-read it again and again, and I think I understand a little more each time around. Critique/advice welcome!

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/loveslanguage_wilcox_skp_128kb.mp3

2:50
skip
brucek

Post by brucek »

Great choice for Spring, Michele. I love the "new emotions ... strange barges ... along vein-channels" imagery.

Mine at 2:59

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/loveslanguage_wilcox_bk_128kb.mp3

~~~~~
Bruce.
msfry

Post by msfry »

skipg wrote: March 20th, 2019, 1:36 am My try; I've only done a couple weekly poems so far, so the longer length of this poem was a challenge! I'm sure it's nothing to the expert folks here, but phew, as a newbie, it's harder than expected not to goof up somewhere along the the 2 minute stretch. But I guess the silver lining is that goofing up makes me re-read it again and again, and I think I understand a little more each time around. Critique/advice welcome!

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/loveslanguage_wilcox_skp_128kb.mp3

2:50
Mercy me, did you read it through again and again until you made no mistakes? I can't speak for everyone else for positively sure, but most readers read along and if they make a mistake they keep the tape running and repeat the line or phrase until it sounds right, and when they complete the recording they go back and edit out the bad parts, and even re-record the parts that are still not to their liking. Nobody that I know of at LV doesn't edit, edit, edit. In fact, one of our most expert readers revealed to me the rule of thumb that it takes 4 times longer to edit than it does to record. And then, your proof listener will listen with fresh ears and could come back with further corrections.

As to the length, some sections of our projects are over an hour long. There is no way to read all that without multiple errors.

Moral of the story is -- you must learn to edit. We have several excellent videos in our Wiki on how to do that, and there are many more on You-Tube.

Welcome to LV, and I look forward to listening to your poem later today.
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

msfry wrote: March 19th, 2019, 6:37 pm Will somebody please interpret this line for me:

The smile that proves the patent to a sigh—

I have no idea what it means. Thanks.
Here is another thought. Think of "patent" in terms of "patent leather". This shifts the meaning completely, implying that the smile "proves" or provides the shine or finish to the sigh.

I would take it as a wistful sigh that gives way to a smile of quiet enjoyment.

I could be just as wrong as anyone else...so take it for what it is worth!

Jim G.
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

Having offered up my opinion on one line...let me now offer up my recording of the whole:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/loveslanguage_wilcox_jfg_128kb.mp3
recording time 02:17

Jim G.
msfry

Post by msfry »

jfgallagher wrote: March 20th, 2019, 9:26 am Here is another thought. Think of "patent" in terms of "patent leather". This shifts the meaning completely, implying that the smile "proves" or provides the shine or finish to the sigh.

I would take it as a wistful sigh that gives way to a smile of quiet enjoyment.

I could be just as wrong as anyone else...so take it for what it is worth!

Jim G.
And to throw another meaning on it, patent can mean "exclusive", as in a patented process. I've heard that patent leather is a lacquoring process that was patented, hence the name. And nowadays (but probably not in Ella's time) patent leather is really shiny plastic!

A shiny smile? An exclusive smile? Probably not a plastic smile, as this was after Ella's time.
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Here is my try at a foreign language, uh, I mean Love's Language:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/loveslanguage_wilcox_sws_128kb.mp3
2:54

:D
Scotty
msfry

Post by msfry »

Good job, Skip. A moving rendition, and PL OK. :thumbs:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

msfry wrote: March 19th, 2019, 6:35 pm PL Notes

Larry[/b]
1:23 repeat " in the tender and unnamed light that floods the world with splendor;"
Oh, my!
Snip, snip
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/loveslanguage_wilcox_lcw_128kb.mp3 2:21
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Bruce, Jim, Scotty and Larry.

PL Notes.
Bruce and Larry PL OK

Jim, at 1:46, swift flashing high and higher, you say higher and higher
Scotty, at 1:33 haughty heart grown humble, you say grows

Change these at your own discretion, but Ella's expressive "high and higher", and "heart grown humble", seem more poetical to me.
skipg

Post by skipg »

msfry wrote: March 20th, 2019, 7:42 am Mercy me, did you read it through again and again until you made no mistakes? I can't speak for everyone else for positively sure, but most readers read along and if they make a mistake they keep the tape running and repeat the line or phrase until it sounds right, and when they complete the recording they go back and edit out the bad parts, and even re-record the parts that are still not to their liking. Nobody that I know of at LV doesn't edit, edit, edit. In fact, one of our most expert readers revealed to me the rule of thumb that it takes 4 times longer to edit than it does to record. And then, your proof listener will listen with fresh ears and could come back with further corrections.

As to the length, some sections of our projects are over an hour long. There is no way to read all that without multiple errors.

Moral of the story is -- you must learn to edit. We have several excellent videos in our Wiki on how to do that, and there are many more on You-Tube.

Welcome to LV, and I look forward to listening to your poem later today.
Oops, yes that's exactly what I did! (And even then I might've kept going, but ran out of time) Your way makes much more sense, I will definitely try that out on my next attempt! I was wondering how you all did it, but that makes so much sense now that you say it. :shock:

I've only dipped my toes in editing, just noise reduction and minimizing some breath sounds, etc. Will definitely need to read some more guides on editing! Still working on figuring out my "voice" too, and getting over the weirdness of listening to myself haha.

Thank you for the PL and advice!
skip
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

msfry wrote: March 21st, 2019, 6:59 am Scotty, at 1:33 haughty heart grown humble, you say grows
The file grown corrected replacen the old one, same length. :)
Scotty