CC - Test1 by David

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
AgDave00

Post by AgDave00 » March 5th, 2019, 12:46 pm

I'm sharing my first test for feedback: 01 Test Reading— https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test1_AgDave00.mp3

What do you think about the pace, style, and background noise? I'm bothered by the "tunnel echo" sound and want to know of ways to cut that out.

If I'm going to do this, I want to have a"way about me" that makes me easy to listen to (so I ask myself "would I listen to this?"). I want to be engaging, and not have a lot of ambient noises getting in the way of the recording. Thus far, this is the only recording equipment I have available. Here are the specs:

Done with Audacity 2.0.5 on a MacBook Pro
Using device speakers and mic
Unedited with Audacity
Reading the suggested script

Let me know what your thoughts/advice are, and thanks in advance for the help!

AgDave00

Post by AgDave00 » March 5th, 2019, 12:58 pm

I'm sharing my second test for feedback: 02 Shakespeare Sonnet— https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_AgDave00.mp3

What do you think about the pace, style, and background noise? That "tunnel echo" is a nuisance to me. Ways to cut it out?

If I'm going to do this, I want to have a"way about me" that makes me easy to listen to (so I ask myself "would I listen to this?"). I want to be engaging, and not have a lot of ambient noises getting in the way of the recording. Thus far, this is the only recording equipment I have available. Here are the specs:

Edited with Audacity, with Noise Removal
Reading a Shakespearean sonnet

cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 » March 8th, 2019, 11:39 am

AgDave00 wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 12:58 pm
I'm sharing my second test for feedback: 02 Shakespeare Sonnet— https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_AgDave00.mp3

What do you think about the pace, style, and background noise? That "tunnel echo" is a nuisance to me. Ways to cut it out?

Looking good man! You just need to up the volume we need 86-92dB and you are at 78.2dB You can do this with the gain settings in audacity. your file sounds good so all you need to fix is this and you will be good.
~Luke Castle
Due to school I am much busier then in the summer. Please bear with me as I work through my PL backlog.

Projects that need readers
Bealby
Freckles The life of Harriot Stuart The House By The Churchyard

Dramatic Read!The Blind Brother

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » March 8th, 2019, 4:59 pm

What do you mean by "device mic"? You're using the built-in mic on your macBook? If so, that's why it has that sound. You need an external USB mic if you want to fix it.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

AgDave00

Post by AgDave00 » March 8th, 2019, 9:31 pm

I will check that gain/volume issue and re-record the test when able and post the new link here. As for the USB mic, here in Romania I’m limited by what I can get here but will also post a couple options of what I can order here and ask for feedback on your preferences. Thanks for the feedback you two!

cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 » March 9th, 2019, 7:29 pm

AgDave00 wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 9:31 pm
I will check that gain/volume issue and re-record the test when able and post the new link here. As for the USB mic, here in Romania I’m limited by what I can get here but will also post a couple options of what I can order here and ask for feedback on your preferences. Thanks for the feedback you two!
I do not think you need to re-rerecord. Just change the volume settings in audacity. Check the help videos if you get stuck
~Luke Castle
Due to school I am much busier then in the summer. Please bear with me as I work through my PL backlog.

Bealby

AgDave00

Post by AgDave00 » March 14th, 2019, 1:39 pm

sjmarky wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 4:59 pm
You need an external USB mic if you want to fix it.
Being in Romania, I don't have as much access as some might, so does anyone have any thoughts about what's best?

Trust GXT 248 Luno USB Streaming Microphone
Trust Emita GXT252
Trust Mantis GXT 232
Trust Mico, USB, Black
USB Studio Mic with Superlux E205U, Includes Table Stand

Do any of these sound good?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » March 18th, 2019, 5:29 pm

I don't know anything about the mics listed. :?

Regarding the room echo, please describe your recording space a bit. Is your computer close to a wall? If so, on which side(s) and how close? What is behind you?

One way to dampen room echo is to hang towels or other thick material against the hard surfaces to reduce the echo from those hard surfaces. Alternately, you could pile pillows or folded towels around your area.

Some folks create a "portable sound booth" with a box and some acoustic foam. I wonder if you could even use a presentation board (something like THIS - but don't look at that price, as it's for 24 of them!) and attach foam or towels to it. :hmm: Think inside the box! :lol:

AgDave00

Post by AgDave00 » March 20th, 2019, 2:41 am

TriciaG wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 5:29 pm
One way to dampen room echo is to hang towels or other thick material against the hard surfaces to reduce the echo from those hard surfaces. Alternately, you could pile pillows or folded towels around your area... :hmm: Think inside the box! :lol:
That’s given me a lot of ideas to work my space since it’s not a recording studio and we don’t have limitless funds to work with. It makes sense, I’m just going to have to dream about workable options. Thanks for the help!

AgDave00

Post by AgDave00 » May 17th, 2019, 12:25 pm

TriciaG wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 5:29 pm
I don't know anything about the mics listed. :?

Regarding the room echo, please describe your recording space a bit. Is your computer close to a wall? If so, on which side(s) and how close? What is behind you?

One way to dampen room echo is to hang towels or other thick material against the hard surfaces to reduce the echo from those hard surfaces. Alternately, you could pile pillows or folded towels around your area.

Some folks create a "portable sound booth" with a box and some acoustic foam. I wonder if you could even use a presentation board (something like THIS - but don't look at that price, as it's for 24 of them!) and attach foam or towels to it. :hmm: Think inside the box! :lol:
Thanks so much for your help Tricia!

AgDave00

Post by AgDave00 » May 17th, 2019, 12:29 pm

cowguy02 wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 11:39 am
AgDave00 wrote:

Looking good man! You just need to up the volume we need 86-92dB and you are at 78.2dB You can do this with the gain settings in audacity. your file sounds good so all you need to fix is this and you will be good.
Thanks Luke, unfortunately I'm horribly green with Audacity and don't know how to adjust the volume up. Would you be able to give us a write-up bullet point style? There are a bunch of videos to watch and I honestly don't have time to watch a bunch of them in hopes I stumble across the right one. Thanks sir!

AgDave00

Post by AgDave00 » May 17th, 2019, 2:49 pm

David here. I just got a USB mic (Trust brand, Audacity 2.3.0) and recorded this but am not pleased with the metronome-like noises starting about 6 seconds and lasting to the end. What the heck is that?! I'd appreciate anyone's advice as to how to get rid of that sound. It's not even consistent, just sporadic. I tried covering it with a blanket (mic), tried it without that, but the click/pop seemed unconnected to anything I tried. So not only do I not know how to get the sound up consistently, I can't seem to keep that annoying popping away. I'd be grateful for any help you could offer. Thanks!

David

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_agdave00.mp3

cowguy02

Post by cowguy02 » May 17th, 2019, 5:41 pm

AgDave00 wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 12:29 pm
cowguy02 wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 11:39 am
AgDave00 wrote:

Thanks Luke, unfortunately I'm horribly green with Audacity and don't know how to adjust the volume up. Would you be able to give us a write-up bullet point style? There are a bunch of videos to watch and I honestly don't have time to watch a bunch of them in hopes I stumble across the right one. Thanks sir!

Sure it’s pretty easy now! This arrtical explains it well https://www.iskysoft.com/video-editing/how-to-increase-volume-in-audacity.html
~Luke Castle

Bealby

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » May 18th, 2019, 1:19 pm

If you post in the same thread as your other tests, the same person can check that for you :D
Campbell
Constructive criticism always welcome

Readers wanted: The Cliff-Dwellers

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » May 20th, 2019, 12:12 pm

I examined your test recording, and honestly it sounds to me like you got a defective mic. Not only is there the clicking, which is likely internal and nothing you can fix, there is a very loud electrical background noise, which is nothing I've seen from an external source. Those two things taken together says to me it's a bad mic. It happens. I've gotten brand new expensive mics and had to send them back due to bad electrics.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page