[Solo] The Battle of Books by Jonathan Swift - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Sections 3 & 4 are ready for Spot PL!

Times for the edits might be a few seconds before they last were.

Thank you
Elijah
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Elijah -

Section 3 is PL OK
Section 4 still needs to have this corrected: 1:40 – heard imperderance (not a word) – should be "in TEMP er ance"

I will be PL'ing your new section in a little bit :)

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

ej400 wrote: March 5th, 2019, 10:40 am Section 5 is ready for PL
Really great reading Elijah!

Just a couple of comments -

1:40 – stumble – text says “then that”
16:20 – repeat – On the 6th a fire will break out – that whole sentence ending in “month.” Is repeated.
There were only 4 seconds at the end - remember they are looking for 5 seconds for you to leave at the end of your recordings...

Also, I noticed when listening to your recordings over the last couple of sections that your voice volume tends to go up and down - perhaps you want to try compressing your file in Audacity - I tried that and it evened out your highs and lows. However when that happened it dropped your volume down to 86.5 (I compressed it 7:1) so you would have to raise it up again about 2.5 dB by using Amplify. Both of these options are found under the Effect menu item. Then use Checker that I previously sent you to verify the volume on the recording.

Lynda
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Lmnei wrote: March 5th, 2019, 3:15 pm Really great reading Elijah!

Just a couple of comments -

1:40 – stumble – text says “then that”
16:20 – repeat – On the 6th a fire will break out – that whole sentence ending in “month.” Is repeated.
There were only 4 seconds at the end - remember they are looking for 5 seconds for you to leave at the end of your recordings...

Also, I noticed when listening to your recordings over the last couple of sections that your voice volume tends to go up and down - perhaps you want to try compressing your file in Audacity - I tried that and it evened out your highs and lows. However when that happened it dropped your volume down to 86.5 (I compressed it 7:1) so you would have to raise it up again about 2.5 dB by using Amplify. Both of these options are found under the Effect menu item. Then use Checker that I previously sent you to verify the volume on the recording.

Lynda
I will certainly check that out, thank you for telling me about it :thumbs: <thumbsup>

I'll make those edits probably sometime tomorrow morning, thank you
Elijah
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Section 4 & 5 are ready for Spot PL

Section 6 & 7 are ready for PL. Thank you Lynda! :D <smile>

Section 4: Edit @ 1:38
Section 5: Edit @ 1:40. I looked around for about 10 minutes looking for a repeat, but I never heard one :hmm: Added another second of silence.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Elijah!

Sections 4 and 5 are PL OK!

Here is the feedback for Sections 6 and 7. Really good reading of Section 6! As for Section 7 - wow that was a LONG poem! You actually read poems well - you should think of reading poems more - however look for ones that are a bit shorter as the farther you got into the poem the more dictation mistakes started happening. As poems need to be a bit more accurate, there is more feedback, as the words mean so much in each line. I did pass on several that would not make a difference.

Also, I had an other idea - you told me that you do the edits on your mother's computer and that is why they sound different. Is it possible for you to record the words that I specify in one long recording - so tired, leave a second, odd enough, leave a second, and, etc (going down the list). Then import that into Audacity. Now go to File Open in Audacity (both on your mum's computer) and open Section 6 so you have 2 windows from Audacity open. Now for example, go to 6:15 on Section 6 and find the "tried" in the recording and now go to the imported words recording and highlight the replacement word and copy (Ctrl-C) and then go back to the recording and highlight the word tried and paste it (Ctrl-V) over where the word "tried" was. I HOPE this makes sense! That might sound better than recording on your mothers computer which really sounds distant when you replace words so within a sentence it is a bit of a shock when your voice is speaking and then drops in sound and then starts speaking in a normal voice again.

Let me know if you need me to try re-writing this in a different way :)

Section 6
6:15 – heard “tried” – should be “tired”
7:25 – heard “old enough” should be “odd enough”

Section 7
2:00 – heard “was were” – remove the was please
2:38 – heard “are” should be “and”
3:25 – remove silence please
3:45 – heard “intense” should be “intestine”
4:10 – heard “ailed” should be “allied” needs to rhyme with the next line :)
4:25 – remove the stumble between “roast” and “meat” please
5:46 – heard “but” should be “by”
6:05 – remove the “would” – not in text
7:01 – heard “though” should be “thought”
8:57 – heard “out of town” should be “of our town”
9:08 – heard “stunt” should be “stuntED” – need this for rhyming purposes.

Lynda
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Section 6 and 7 are fixed and ready for spot PL. Times are about the same as what you listed.

I could not find a stumble anywhere near 4:25.

Thank you Lynda! :D <smile>
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Elijah!

Sections 6 and 7 are PL OK!

Wahoo! :clap:

Lynda
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Thank you Lynda :D <smile>

8 & 9 should be in later this week, but I can't guarantee 10 will be in :( <sadface> That's going to be the longest poem I will have ever read.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

ej400 wrote: March 19th, 2019, 1:21 pm Thank you Lynda :D <smile>

8 & 9 should be in later this week, but I can't guarantee 10 will be in :( <sadface> That's going to be the longest poem I will have ever read.
Hey Elijah -

With regards to Section 10 - just take your time! Why don't you try recording the poem in chunks like split it in half or quarters? Then all your need to do is import it into Audacity and copy and paste the sections in order and you will have one recording!

I have done that a couple of times when I have had hour long recordings as my voice gets tired at about 35 minutes - so I split them in half.

Lynda
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Section 8 & 9 are ready for PL. I feel like I did better with these shorter poems, to be honest, I didn't have to make reading edits to section 8 or 9.

Thank you Lynda!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

This morning I did a vocal deed.
I Grabbed my mp3 player and began to read,
A poem by Jonathan Swift will do,
for Elijah, the librivox community and Lynda too!
As I sat and read the dreadful lines,
I realized I didn't know the signs,
That I actually enjoyed reading this long poem,
And that's probably why it's known,
Well now,
With a big wow,
That section 10 is ready for PL!

:lol: <laughing>