[COMPLETE] Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

I was glad to get through section 2! There were quite a few locations in this one, if I commented on any of them I am just telling you how we pronounce them from here in California :D. If you have learned them the British way and don't want to change them that's fine too :D

11:16 – you said ‘8’, it is actually poem 9
14:23 – you said ‘11’. It is actually poem 12
16:50 – you said ‘11’, it is actually poem 13
18:24 – indicative, should be pronounced inDICative
19:23 – Erie – pronounced eerie
19:25 – Michigan – the ‘ch’ is pronounced ‘sh’
21:38 – Maryland – Mare-ih-lind
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank youuuuuu!

Any pronunciation comments, do let me know! I realise there are limits to what I can do, after all, my English isn't perfect, it will probably never be, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to improve it. If you give me a note about for example "sorrows", I might not be able to change it now--but I take all these comments to heart and they're all stored in the back of my head in any conversation I have, and I practice them over time. :D

About pronunciations, I also sometimes use howjsay.com (next to dictionary.com), which is focused on British English, but also has American pronunciations. For example, https://howjsay.com/search?word=leisure "Leh-sure, also American: lee-sure". It helps me a lot with figuring out whether multiple pronunciations are correct, albeit on different sides of the ocean.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Foon

Post by Foon »

I've uploaded section 14 and 18, the latter of which I just found out I already had ready for upload a week ago; I don't think there's any reason I didn't upload it yet, but if you find anything blatantly obviously wrong with it, please do let me know! (and, my apologies in advance.)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

I've also uploaded 20, 22, and 31. But don't worry, I'm all caught up with my editing backlog now! ;)

Readers needed:
lymiewithpurpose

Unfortunately I only got through section 20, but I enjoyed it! Here are my notes:

0:01 – missing ‘of Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman’
6:06 and 7:29 – archipelagos – pronounced ‘archiPElagos’
Foon wrote: March 15th, 2019, 5:28 am Any pronunciation comments, do let me know! I realise there are limits to what I can do, after all, my English isn't perfect, it will probably never be, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to improve it. If you give me a note about for example "sorrows", I might not be able to change it now--but I take all these comments to heart and they're all stored in the back of my head in any conversation I have, and I practice them over time.

About pronunciations, I also sometimes use howjsay.com (next to dictionary.com), which is focused on British English, but also has American pronunciations. For example, https://howjsay.com/search?word=leisure "Leh-sure, also American: lee-sure". It helps me a lot with figuring out whether multiple pronunciations are correct, albeit on different sides of the ocean.
Ok sounds good. There are some slight pronunciation deviations that I tend to skip, as it is almost impossible to get those right without being a native speaker. Those that are a bit larger of a deviation/I think has some small chance of being fixable I tend to comment on. And I can tell you worked on "sorrows", you said it in another poem (I don't remember which one) and it sounded better! And hey, your English is pretty phenomenal if you ask me! It's obvious you've worked hard. And thanks for the resource, will definitely use it.
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

Ok, got through section 14 (pleasantly, like normal :D). I think I was in a bit of a critical mood though, there seems to be a lot of pretty slight notes here :oops:. Again, take them or leave them, your choice :D

4:01 – raftsman – pronounced almost like ‘raftsmin’, the same way that ‘man’ is pronounced in ‘woman’. As a general rule, when the word ‘man’ is in an occupation, it will have that same ‘min’ sound
5:36 – heard ‘shouldens’, text says ‘shoulders’
6:53 – fireman – again, ‘in’ sound here
11:30 – orators – pronounced ‘oraturs’
14:02 – heard ‘responsibility’, text says ‘respectability’
15:41 – heard ‘interruptions’, text says ‘irruptions’
16:26, 16:39, 17:39 – headsman – again, ‘in’ sound here
Since there are other notes, I may as well mention that there is only about 4 seconds of silence at the end (I told you I was in a critical mood :twisted:)
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

Also listened to the very short 31. Only one note this time:

3:47 – repeat of ‘light rare untellable’. Great job, this is the first repeat I've heard! Pretty impressive :D
Campbell
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

I will listen to books 16 & 20 tonight!
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you both!!

Readers needed:
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Notes for Section 18: (book 16)

1) At 4:19 the text is "and reflection does not fall," and instead of "fall" I hear "fail"

2) At 10:22 the text is "I swear I see what is better than to tell the best", and instead of "best" I hear "beach".

3) At 12:22 the text is "I swear to you the architects shall appear without fall," and instead of "fall", I hear "fail".

Now, I thought the whole "fail" and "fall" thing a bit odd as it seemed out of sink with the scheme of his poem so I looked up this poem in other sources and sure enough this is another example of Gutenberg messing up. Each place it shows the word "fall" it really should be "fail", so that brings us to a question of whether you fix your recording to match the Gutenberg text which is wrong, or have the recording faithfully match his poem. My vote is for the 2nd option and there are plenty of instances in LVox recordings where this has been done. That would mean then you would not fix items 1 and 3 above as you instinctively did say the right word!

However, if we do that, then you still need to fix the recording because in these sections there are also cases where you did say the word "fall" as printed and these should be changed to "fail" ... these instances would be approx. at 4:07, 4:25, 4:28
Nemo

NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Just one note for Section 22: (book 20) ..... soooo close to being absolutely perfect!

At 1:45 the text is "Does the ague convulse your limbs". "Ague" is pronounced "ey-gyoo" and I hear "eyg".
Nemo

Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you!!

I'll have a think about those fall/fail instances, but if it is indeed a problem with the PG text, I think I'll keep them as they should be, and figure out how to send errata reports to PG. :)

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 16th, 2019, 8:40 pm Also listened to the very short 31. Only one note this time:

3:47 – repeat of ‘light rare untellable’. Great job, this is the first repeat I've heard! Pretty impressive :D
Uploaded for spot PL!

I might be having a small break in recording... Construction work has just started today right outside my house, and it's rather noisy :? I hope to get some patches recorded in some brief quiet moments!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

NemoR wrote: March 17th, 2019, 4:43 pm Just one note for Section 22: (book 20) ..... soooo close to being absolutely perfect!

At 1:45 the text is "Does the ague convulse your limbs". "Ague" is pronounced "ey-gyoo" and I hear "eyg".
Patched & uploaded for spot PL!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

NemoR wrote: March 17th, 2019, 4:03 pm Notes for Section 18: (book 16)

(...)

2) At 10:22 the text is "I swear I see what is better than to tell the best", and instead of "best" I hear "beach".

(...)

My vote is for the 2nd option and there are plenty of instances in LVox recordings where this has been done. That would mean then you would not fix items 1 and 3 above as you instinctively did say the right word!

However, if we do that, then you still need to fix the recording because in these sections there are also cases where you did say the word "fall" as printed and these should be changed to "fail" ... these instances would be approx. at 4:07, 4:25, 4:28
Have I mentioned I absolutely hate the font they use in the html version?! :lol: I mess up -il/-ll, and also mess up a/s, apparently (I think I read "best" as "beat"!)

I agree with this suggestion. I've uploaded it for spot PL with 3 instances of fall->fail @ 4:07, 4:25, 4:28; and beat->best @ 10:26.

Readers needed: