COMPLETE[PLAY] The Country Wife by William Wycherley - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: March 8th, 2019, 4:19 pm Here's the Harcourt correction: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/countrywife_harcourt_1_128kb.mp3
thank you Chris, for this jovial laugh. I can see you bend your back and hold your belly as they do in the cartoons. :lol:

PL ok.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
benderca

Post by benderca »

Here's Lucy, Act 3, an't please your worship:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/countrywife_lucy_3_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: March 10th, 2019, 4:10 pmHere's Lucy, Act 3, an't please your worship:
ahhh, your voice has such a high pitch here, didn't see that one coming :lol: sounds excellent for Lucy's character though. And I love the laughs at the beginning. Well done, TJ.

You did miss two lines though ;)

> at about 0:33: please insert: “Stay, stay, hold—“ and “For God's sake, sir, I must follow 'em.

thank you, good start, looking forward to the rest. I hope the voice is not too difficult to keep up throughout.

Sonia
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

May I pick up Pinchwife? I see it is quite a few lines and I cannot promise an Oscar-worthy performance (or even a Shatner-worthy one) but have some time this week and could likely turn it in fairly soon. :wink:
Scotty
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

iBeScotty wrote: March 16th, 2019, 12:28 pm May I pick up Pinchwife? I see it is quite a few lines and I cannot promise an Oscar-worthy performance (or even a Shatner-worthy one) but have some time this week and could likely turn it in fairly soon. :wink:
LOL we never expect awards-caliber performances. As long as you go for it and have fun, the end result will be just as good. :thumbs:

Thanks for the claim! Can't wait to hear it. :D
Tomas Peter
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Thanks, Tomas!

I gave Pinchwife, Act I a go:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/countrywife_pinchwife_1_128kb.mp3

Since I don't often do a dramatic read, I'll wait to make sure the structure is okay before going on. Let me know anything I can do differently to make editing easier or if I should read the character any differently (he seems a little neurotic--sooo fun!)
Scotty
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Woo, wonderful to see one act already done. :mrgreen: Our DPL Sonia will take a look at it tomorrow, but from what I can tell from a brief peek, so far so good! :thumbs:
Structure-wise, all you need to make sure of is that the lines are separated with pauses, as well as any stage directions embedded in your lines which have been read by our narrator. If you're already doing that, then barring any unintentionally skipped or misread lines, the process should be a smooth one.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

iBeScotty wrote: March 16th, 2019, 3:35 pmI gave Pinchwife, Act I a go:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/countrywife_pinchwife_1_128kb.mp3
Since I don't often do a dramatic read, I'll wait to make sure the structure is okay before going on. Let me know anything I can do differently to make editing easier or if I should read the character any differently (he seems a little neurotic--sooo fun!)
:lol: neurotic is a good qualification for Pinchwife. And a bit paranoid and obsessed with cuckolding :roll: In the upcoming acts he will become downright nasty to his wife...

Excellent job on the first act, Scotty ! It's a pity you're not doing drama more often, you are really good at expressive reading. :thumbs: I love the way you do the asides and then speaking a bit louder on resuming back the dialogue. Well done.

Act 1 perfectly PL ok

Thanks for the quick turn-around

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Now that parts are trickling in, I can get this edited. Act 1 is already done and ready for PL. This already sounds so fun. :mrgreen:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/countrywife_1_wycherley_128kb.mp3
Tomas Peter
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Thanks, Tomas and Sonia, and for the encouragement.

I just uploaded Pinchwife's Act II:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/countrywife_pinchwife_2_128kb.mp3

Average volume creeped up a little, I guess from some energetic parts, but I left it there to not quiet the regular parts too much or overcompress
Scotty
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

iBeScotty wrote: March 17th, 2019, 2:04 pmThanks, Tomas and Sonia, and for the encouragement.
I just uploaded Pinchwife's Act II:
Average volume creeped up a little, I guess from some energetic parts, but I left it there to not quiet the regular parts too much or overcompress
excellent, Scott, I found this so hilarious, especially the scene where he is really exasperated with Sparkish and his methods :lol: You really go over the top there. You're right, the volume was a bit loud for my ears ;) but that will be adjusted by the editor in the last phase. As long as your audio is not clipping, it's all right.

I only found one missing line, which needs to be inserted:

> at about 3:31: please insert: “What, all the lewd libertines of the town brought to my lodging by this easy coxcomb! 'sdeath, I'll not suffer it.

Thank you :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: March 17th, 2019, 1:32 pm Now that parts are trickling in, I can get this edited. Act 1 is already done and ready for PL. This already sounds so fun. :mrgreen:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/countrywife_1_wycherley_128kb.mp3
indeed this first act is a great opener for the play. All the different dialogues are totally well assembled and sound great together. Well edite, Tomas.

Just one suggestion, up to you if you wish to change this:

> at 2:00-3:07: I think I would put the whole Dramatis Personae even before the prologue (so at 0:14), firstly, because then we know immediately who’s who before you even start to speak, and secondly, then the play is not interrupted artificially after the prologue but glides on seamlessly into act 1.

The play itself is flawless :thumbs:

Sonia
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Kitty wrote: March 18th, 2019, 1:31 am I only found one missing line, which needs to be inserted:

> at about 3:31: please insert: “What, all the lewd libertines of the town brought to my lodging by this easy coxcomb! 'sdeath, I'll not suffer it.

Thank you :)

Sonia
Ooh, good line. Here is the amended file with it inserted at 3:32 (occurring at the start of Spark & Harc scene):

Since I was in there, I knocked the dBs down one for a more sensible volume. And my only hope is my reading is not too cringe-worthy; I'll try to tone Pinchwife down in future.
Scotty
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

iBeScotty wrote: March 18th, 2019, 8:25 amSince I was in there, I knocked the dBs down one for a more sensible volume. And my only hope is my reading is not too cringe-worthy; I'll try to tone Pinchwife down in future.
my ears say thank you ;)

and if he is cringe-worthy, I think it will fit very well...Pinchwife is kinda pathetic in his extreme jealousy :lol: A total Molière cuckolded husband. One can see where the inspiration lies for this play.

Pinchwife 2 PL ok now, thanks.

And that means Tomas can assemble act 2 :thumbs:

Sonia