Play within a Magazine

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

Hello,

I am currently BC'ing Mother Earth, vol 1, no.1, and once it is complete, I want to launch no.2. So I was going through the second magazine, and I realized that the last section is actually a one act play.
My question, can I organize a dramatic reading, within the magazine itself? Or should the play become a separate project?

Thanks,
Bhavya
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Just a thought. Plays do not need to always be read by a cast, they can very successfully and meaningfully be read by one person. If it is not too long, this is an easy solution. When we record novels we easily switch characters and it works smoothly most times. Doing plays is basically the same thing. In fact in plays it is often easier for the listener because the speaker of the next line of dialog is identified right in the script. Anyway just a thought to keeping things simple. On the other hand a play within a project might be fun. Complicated but fun. :D Sounds like a great project !!!!
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If you are planning a series of the magazine, the magazines need to be complete I think, it wouldn't work running it separately, so either just get someone to read it as Phil suggested or if you must have it read as a play juggle things in your MW to cope - you'd need to discuss that with your MC .

Personally, it was published in a magazine , I'd assume those who bought the magazine just read it, they didn't rush off to the nearest playhouse to see a full cast performance.

Anne
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

Great! Thank you both will all your help :)
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

I think I've seen Sonia (Kitty) do something similar... For example in this thread she has organized a DR/play within a bigger work. Maybe ask her exactly how she did it? That's the only time I've seen it done though.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's been done several times. You didn't give a link but I'm assuming it's the translation of the play from German. It's doable but can be messy .

Anne
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

annise wrote: March 16th, 2019, 6:34 am It's been done several times. You didn't give a link but I'm assuming it's the translation of the play from German. It's doable but can be messy .

Anne
I put the link in the words "this thread", so if you click on them it should take you there :). It was from one of her World Stories projects, and I linked it in case bhavya wants a reference point at all. That's cool that it's been done so many times before, I can imagine it would be troublesome though, very hard to work with :shock:
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

Since it is allowed, I am looking forward to coordinating the next project! It will be very interesting for the listener :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 16th, 2019, 6:39 am That's cool that it's been done so many times before, I can imagine it would be troublesome though, very hard to work with :shock:
Not too bad if you have experience with DRs in general. It just takes a bit more planning and organization to get the MW set up correctly.