Use of Librivox material by other platforms

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Hi. I recently found that an application named Storytel uses Librivox's audiobooks for its classic section. I accept that our work can be used by others even for commercial use but, it is legal that they dont even mention the source, and for example in my case that they post many of the audiobooks i recorded naming me as Javier Jimenez when i am Victor Villarraza? Is there something to do or I just have to get used to it?
One book to rule them all and in the Public Domain bind them
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

We are finding the same thing happening over at Audible as well. There is a whole thread here. Technically speaking, yes, they can do what they are doing. They cut off the LV intro and outro, change the tone of your voice, and give you a new name. That is the bad thing about releasing our recordings to the public domain. Our recordings are free to everyone to do anything they want with them. Is there an online link for this application?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Thanks Ann for your answer, ok I'll live with that. It was just feel a bit unfair... I never thought to be Javier Jimenez jaja. Maybe i'll sign as him next audiobook
Last edited by phileasfogg on March 14th, 2019, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Do they have some comment, once one is registered? The page is slow; I don't see much when I click on a cover there.

Legally we can't do much, I guess, but some people had success writing comments that this recording is available for free :) It is in some thread here noted, I think a different one from the one icequeen showed you.
That is pretty much the only thing we can do - just tell people that they don't need to pay for this recording. And in some cases on Audible it helped that someone wrote to them, iirc.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I would strongly advise not to link to these... people/sites :evil: ... from our forum.

Our forum has a pretty high google ranking, when we link to them it's giving a kind of boost to their ranking (and we definitely don't want THEM to be found by anyone, do we? :evil: )
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Perhaps the trick here is to use Librivox Jujutsu and turn the offenders' artistic transgressions to one's own advantage.

Or, if you prefer ... “Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.”

Is there anything to prevent a professional voice artist from promoting themselves by referencing their own productions, and various "derivative" reproductions? Something along the promotional lines of "Copying is the highest form of flattery"...?

What was it Adam Ant sang...?

"We don't follow fashion
That would be a joke
You know we're going to set them, set them
So everyone can take note, take note"

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Thanks all of u for the replies. I erased the link and of course i wrote them. They have answered their "team of right's properties" will investigate what happened 😄😄😄 and they will erase those titles during the next 5 days. Ja ja ja . They should also have to erase the titles they have used of Tux and mongope as well. I read the thread you mentioned Ann, and i concured with the words of Hugh. I really feel once i have recorded a book is not mine anymore and anyone can do what they want with it. It's just i would wish that at least they'd had the decency to mention the source and the real narrators and didn't forge fake credit's names. Thanks for the opportunity to do my own catharsis. 😀😀😀
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: March 14th, 2019, 12:53 am Perhaps the trick here is to use Librivox Jujutsu and turn the offenders' artistic transgressions to one's own advantage.

Or, if you prefer ... “Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.”

Is there anything to prevent a professional voice artist from promoting themselves by referencing their own productions, and various "derivative" reproductions? Something along the promotional lines of "Copying is the highest form of flattery"...?

What was it Adam Ant sang...?

"We don't follow fashion
That would be a joke
You know we're going to set them, set them
So everyone can take note, take note"

Chris
lol you rock Chris! :thumbs: :thumbs: :clap: :clap:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

One can't help feeling that by changing the name they are acknowledging that although it may be legal to use PD recordings it's not legal to claim copyright so let's change the name

Anne
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I don't know if it's even legal for them to change the narrative's name, is it?
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

I swear I won't post any more comments and another link of these assh...s. Sorry guys!! Have a nice and beautiful day and week and year and rest of your lives :thumbs: :thumbs: :9: :9: :9: :9: :9:
Last edited by phileasfogg on March 14th, 2019, 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

EVERYONE!!!

(Link redacted)

That site used Elizabeth Klett's reading of Pride and Prejudice and is selling it on Amazon! The user account selling it could get in trouble for this and they even rename Elizabeth Klett to Aisling O'Donovan. Under the cover on amazon, there is an audible sample which sounds like the voice on the link I gave to the librivox book. If this upsets you, PLEASE write a review on amazon, and contact the Oregon publishing site or amazon.

Thank you
Last edited by ej400 on March 14th, 2019, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

ej400 wrote: March 14th, 2019, 8:49 am I don't know if it's even legal for them to change the narrative's name, is it?
I’m not sure this answers the question but a lawyer once told me that this is not illegal if the original artist holds no copyright or has given up any rights to the recording, as we do here on Librivox. Anyone is free to do anything with the material, including changing a narrator’s name.

My own personal view is that I don’t really care at all as long as the original remains freely available which is the whole point. I can’t imagine a paid version would do so well in the open market if it is just the same material anyway.
Scotty
ej400

Post by ej400 »

iBeScotty wrote: March 14th, 2019, 9:20 am
ej400 wrote: March 14th, 2019, 8:49 am I don't know if it's even legal for them to change the narrative's name, is it?
I’m not sure this answers the question but a lawyer once told me that this is not illegal if the original artist holds no copyright or has given up any rights to the recording, as we do here on Librivox. Anyone is free to do anything with the material, including changing a narrator’s name.

My own personal view is that I don’t really care at all as long as the original remains freely available which is the whole point. I can’t imagine a paid version would do so well in the open market if it is just the same material anyway.
If you look under the description on amazon, you can see this: "©2017 Oregan Publishing (P)2017 Oregan Publishing"
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

I mean.. I don't have any problem that anyone can do what ever they want with these audiobooks and I'm ok with the freeness of Librivox because I really stand for being like that men in Fharenheit 451 saving the books for next generations, but in this case I think it is obvious that is a large scale use of audiobooks of Librivox from that oregan publishing site and they are at least commercializing 450 audiobooks of Librivox. I think that someone can try to get to them and ask to mention the source. Or maybe it is the best to forget this matter at all. Ok.. I'll take the last option. Thanks all.
Last edited by phileasfogg on March 14th, 2019, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.