Recommendations for sinus congestion?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ivabythesea

Post by ivabythesea »

I've been hoping to contribute some recordings, but it seems like each time I try to record, I'm having trouble with sinus congestion. Is there anything non-medical that you could recommend for clearing or reducing congestion, so my recordings won't sound so nasally? Are there any voice exercises that could help? Not sure I would want to try the hot pepper method, right before recording. :hmm:
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Asking squeamish folk to stop reading here.

Drastic: warm saline solution to wash/flush your nasal passages with. The more salt, the harder your mucous membrane will shrink opening up your sinuses. It does take some getting used to and practice to do it effectively. You need to pour the solution into a nostril while holding the other closed and let the solution stay in your nose for a few seconds, then let it drain out. Alternate nostrils. After a half of a cup, I usually try to gently clean my nose by blowing it. Sometimes the nasty stuff will come out, sometimes more washing is needed. I also try to let the solution into the sinuses, which takes some finesse: after pouring the saline in, I hold my nose and increase pressure in it while the solution seeps into the sinus[es]. I also make negative pressure inside my nasal passages to try to coax out the stuff from the sinuses. By alternating positive and negative pressure I wash the sinus openings with the saline solution, which opens them up. Try it at your own risk, of course (usual disclaimers that I'm not a doctor and this is not a health advice, etc. etc.)

Good luck!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

tovarisch wrote: March 13th, 2019, 2:43 pm Asking squeamish folk to stop reading here.

Drastic: warm saline solution to wash/flush your nasal passages with. The more salt, the harder your mucous membrane will shrink opening up your sinuses. It does take some getting used to and practice to do it effectively. You need to pour the solution into a nostril while holding the other closed and let the solution stay in your nose for a few seconds, then let it drain out. ....[snip])

Yes, or you might find it easier to use a squeeze bottle to gently shoot the saline solution up into the sinuses. The chemist (aka pharmacist) will sell them (for more than they are worth IMO) and they come with packets of saline ingredients. Boil the water for a few minutes first.

Sniff,

Barbara
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I use a plastic syringe (like one used to give liquid medicine to toddlers), of 5 mL capacity - we have several left over from the times immemorial. Why spend hard-earned money on saline solution packaged in a bottle when you can make as much as you wish, at home, virtually at no cost?

Just to be clear: you can "shoot the saline up into" the nasal cavity. The entrances to sinuses are so narrow and surrounded by soft mucous membrane (and swollen to boot), that even if you knew where to aim, you still wouldn't be able to put any drop into the sinuses. I believe doctors can do that, and they use a long curved dull needle to reach the sinus cavity to suck out the stuff; not a pleasant operation, I heard...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Steve

Post by Steve »

A home remedy that might be worth checking out is to use 100% pure menthol crystals.

Please bear in mind that these are potent. And I mean *REALLY* potent - so go easy with them until you determine the right dose for you.

The idea is to inhale the vapours given off when they are dissolved in really hot water.

A quick search online will reveal various methods that people use to achieve the required result and the best crystals to use.

And to re-iterate Tovarisch's warning (above): Try it at your own risk, of course (usual disclaimers that I'm not a doctor and this is not a health advice, etc. etc.)

Steve
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

It's very possible that no one but you will think you sound congested. Why not do a test recording first and see how it sounds to others? I'd recommend doing that before starting any home medical treatments that you might not need.
Laurie Anne
ivabythesea

Post by ivabythesea »

Thank you all! I appreciate your recommendations, and will try to do all of them! :-) Including the test recording. ;-)

I must have missed the "notify about replies" checkbox when I first posted, because I kept checking my email and never saw any responses. Then I finally logged back in and dug around for it, and found your wonderful replies! :-) Thank you!

I'm new here; just learning the ropes. :-)