Credit for editors of plays / DRs

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

moniaqua wrote: January 25th, 2019, 4:06 pm
Elizabby wrote: January 25th, 2019, 3:55 pm I'd have no issue with them getting credited both on the catalogue page AND in the audio file!
The BCs aren't and they really do a lot, also the MCs, do you see risk of burnout there, too?
Yes, definitely. Which is why I made my earlier suggestion of having the entire production team mentioned at the end of the last audio file.

Just thinking more broadly about why people undertake the work they do:
1) pay
2) non financial rewards
3) job satisfaction

We currently draw people mainly from part 3), which is fine, but I think more people may be motivated to do work here (or to continue to work here) if we can increase 2). 1) is out - obviously we can't increase their salaries! We also can't use a lot of 2) that workplaces do - we can't give people more office plants, a certificate to hang on their wall, references for their landlord or an educational trip to the Bahamas. We also don't want to fall into the trap of competitive acknowledgement like an "employee of the month" award. A non-competitive acknowledgement which is open to everyone who does the work, that's the ticket! We already have the "thank a reader" facility, and relatively recently added the DPL to the catalogue page, which I really like as I do quite a bit of PLing. I also like the recent innovation of the monthly "Libriversaries" post.

The readers are allowed (not compelled) to add their own voice credit into every file they read, including advertising their blog/website if they wish. It would be easy, and wouldn't cost anything, to give editors, BCs and MCs the same right to a voice credit that readers already have. I suspect most wouldn't do it - IMHO it is more hassle than fun to record a 2 second voice credit, but as a soloist I'd be happy to give a voice credit to the MC, if they wanted that.

I think it is narrowing the field of volunteers unnecessarily to insist that everyone who does work here must be motivated solely by 3) job satisfaction. Not only that, but to insist that those who want to volunteer to BC must also do all their own PLing and editing. When it comes to unpaid work, spread it out as much as possible and engage as many people as possible! That is (IMO) the way to prevent burnout.

I work in an official capacity in two other volunteer organisations, in addition to volunteering here, so I'm fairly familiar with this issue. As a volunteer organisation there are only a few avenues for giving people credit/pats on the back. However, there is no limit to the acknowledgement and thanks we can give. Just because one person has wished you a "Happy Birthday" doesn't stop others from saying the same, or even sending a card!

Non-financial rewards - bring it on! If one of the cover makers wanted to design a "Librivox certificate" which could be emailed to people after achieving 25 recorded sections, or 50, or 100 or 1000 I'd be in favour of that too! Heck, put a gold medal and a star on it! It costs nothing and if it makes people happy, why not?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

This suggestion has been discussed among the admins, some of which have posted in this thread, and some of which have not. The arguments for and against have been considered. The decision is that we won't allow audio credits for non-readers. The voice credits are meant for listeners to be able to identify the readers, not as a means of giving credit. BCs may put credit to the editors in the summary for the catalog page.

Thanks, Todd
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

And to add, that the voice cast of characters is also a way for the readers to acknowledge the disclaimer (offering their voice recordings in the public domain)
ej400

Post by ej400 »

But don't the Editors already get credit? For example, in Oliver Twist dramatic, version 5, it says after all the readers at the bottom: Edited by: AdeledePignerolles and SweetPea

Isn't that being credited? If an editor didn't read a part, wouldn't that still put Oliver Twist version 5 dramatic into their reader page?

In the MW's too, for dramatic works, we assign chapters to editors as well. So wouldn't that also say they edited such and such Chapter?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

ej400 wrote: March 13th, 2019, 7:23 am But don't the Editors already get credit? For example, in Oliver Twist dramatic, version 5, it says after all the readers at the bottom: Edited by: AdeledePignerolles and SweetPea

Isn't that being credited? If an editor didn't read a part, wouldn't that still put Oliver Twist version 5 dramatic into their reader page?

In the MW's too, for dramatic works, we assign chapters to editors as well. So wouldn't that also say they edited such and such Chapter?
The original suggestion was for an audio credit.

Unless the editor is a reader also, the project is not on their reader catalog page. The assigning of a chapter to an editor in the MW is only during the production process; they aren't left in when the project is cataloged. (It's a "reader page," not a "reader, editor, PL, BC page".)

Listeners don't look for projects based on who coordinated it, or who edited it, or who PL'd it. Thus, these items are not tracked in the database to be searchable in the catalog.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ej400

Post by ej400 »

That makes perfect sense to me, except that I usually look for who book coordinated, MC'ed an PL'ed just to see if I know them or not :lol: <laughing>
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ej400 wrote: March 13th, 2019, 7:34 am That makes perfect sense to me, except that I usually look for who book coordinated, MC'ed an PL'ed just to see if I know them or not :lol: <laughing>
Yes, I also do that. But most of our listeners are not involved in any way in the creation of these recordings. So they probably don't even know or really care what BCs, MCs, etc even do. They do feel like they "know" the readers, though, and if they liked them, they want to hear their voices in other things.

I mentioned awhile ago in this thread that I think of my reader page as a way to point my friends to books that I've enjoyed. If I'm only involved in a non-speaking role, though, it won't show up. I didn't realize that at first, but now I've learned that if it's something I really like and want on my own page, I have to go ahead and at least read one section.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

mightyfelix wrote: March 13th, 2019, 11:58 am ....but now I've learned that if it's something I really like and want on my own page, I have to go ahead and at least read one section.
.... thus furthering the LV objective. :thumbs:

It's all part of THE PLAN (TM), you know! :twisted:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com