COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 012 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

PetitPoiSon wrote: March 6th, 2019, 1:01 am
mightyfelix wrote: March 4th, 2019, 11:17 am
Extremely well done, I love what you've done with this character! Just wonderful! :9:

Since you asked for notes on pronunciation, I did make note of a few:

1:00 "ought" is pronounced with an "aw" vowel, as in "awe" or "saw," rather than "ow" as in "house"
1:51 "patriotic" The first syllable has a long vowel, as in "pay"
8:56 "condescend" has three syllables, and it sounds like you skipped over the second one: "con-des-(c)end" (I put the c in parentheses because it's silent, although you already got that part right!)
8:57 "honor" the "h" is silent
11:32, 11:38, and 11:59 "Thompson" The "h" in this name is also silent, and doesn't affect the "T," so it should have a hard t sound: "Tompson." Don't ask me why. That's just how it's written! :lol:
Thank you for your kind feedback, here is my part with the corrected lines:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/everybodyshusband_mrspimpernel_ryan.mp3

I was very happy to do it and I'm looking forward to hearing it when completed :9:
A bientôt !
Pauline
PL ok now, thanks so much! Sorry it took me a little while to get to this. I've been trying to get my own recording caught up! :roll:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 12th, 2019, 8:26 pm
aaronwhite1977 wrote: March 11th, 2019, 2:59 pm Here is Mr. Alexis Twisselton for Everybody's Husband.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/everybodyshusband_mralexistwisselton_ryan.mp3

and I just realized that I didn't compress. I'd be glad to do that if you think it sounds bad!
Thanks!
Aaron
Hi Aaron! Devorah said that I could PL this short play for her, so here I am :D. I took a listen, I loved the character you put in it! So perfectly obnoxiously awkward! I do have a few notes for you however:

One thing I noticed is that almost always you forgot to leave space in between those points where you are interrupted by stage directions (Aside, pointing at x, ringing, etc.). Sometimes you left 1-2 seconds, sometimes not even 1. At first I started noting those times down, but they were so numerous that I stopped. I think the question goes out to Devorah now, do you want this to be fixed, or just something to watch out for in the future?
Yes! Please do correct this! Consider the stage directions another character. You should leave just as much room for stage directions as you would for another character's line. This will make editing immensely easier and save me a lot of headaches!
Textual notes are as follows:
5:27 – not sure if this was intentional, repeat of ‘how’
I'm not sure, either, but I like it. No need to change this. It sounds fine and doesn't change anything, just adds a bit of character.
15:08 – missing line ‘Here goes’
20:36 - please add a bit more room between these lines, a bit tight at the moment

Note for Devorah: the text at 20:18 is laughing (for a sound effect in another character's speech). Just thought I'd give you a heads up in case you are one of those editors who edit first and then listen :D
People do that???? :shock: Seems to me like that's just asking for trouble. Thanks for the note, though.

Thanks so much for agreeing to PL, Campbell. I appreciate your help. :)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

MW updated.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bhavya wrote: March 4th, 2019, 5:12 am Here is the Melancholy girl for The Grandmother:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/thegrandmother_themelancholygirl_128kb.mp3
0:41
I realized you cannot PL your own section, so I checked it for you. You are very nice and melancholy, Bhavya, well done :)

I found 4 missing lines though, which still need to be inserted:

> at about 0:26: please insert three “GROUP” lines:
1) “You said that. Yes, you said that.
2) “... to shut up. [Attacks him.] Indeed. He's right. Stop—shut up!
3) “Yes, yes, that's right,—the story of how you got lost.

> at about 0:41: you mentioned in the MW that your character should include the line “Beautiful”, which is missing ;)

updating MW....

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
PetitPoiSon

Post by PetitPoiSon »

mightyfelix wrote: March 12th, 2019, 10:44 pm

PL ok now, thanks so much! Sorry it took me a little while to get to this. I've been trying to get my own recording caught up! :roll:
I'm glad I could be part of this funny little play!
A nice day to you all!
Pauline
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

Kitty wrote: March 13th, 2019, 3:27 am
bhavya wrote: March 4th, 2019, 5:12 am Here is the Melancholy girl for The Grandmother:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/thegrandmother_themelancholygirl_128kb.mp3
0:41
I realized you cannot PL your own section, so I checked it for you. You are very nice and melancholy, Bhavya, well done :)

I found 4 missing lines though, which still need to be inserted:

> at about 0:26: please insert three “GROUP” lines:
1) “You said that. Yes, you said that.
2) “... to shut up. [Attacks him.] Indeed. He's right. Stop—shut up!
3) “Yes, yes, that's right,—the story of how you got lost.

> at about 0:41: you mentioned in the MW that your character should include the line “Beautiful”, which is missing ;)

updating MW....

Sonia
Thank you Sonia, I will upload the corrected file soon.
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

mightyfelix wrote: March 12th, 2019, 10:50 pm
lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 12th, 2019, 8:26 pm
aaronwhite1977 wrote: March 11th, 2019, 2:59 pm Here is Mr. Alexis Twisselton for Everybody's Husband.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/everybodyshusband_mralexistwisselton_ryan.mp3

and I just realized that I didn't compress. I'd be glad to do that if you think it sounds bad!
Thanks!
Aaron
Hi Aaron! Devorah said that I could PL this short play for her, so here I am :D. I took a listen, I loved the character you put in it! So perfectly obnoxiously awkward! I do have a few notes for you however:

One thing I noticed is that almost always you forgot to leave space in between those points where you are interrupted by stage directions (Aside, pointing at x, ringing, etc.). Sometimes you left 1-2 seconds, sometimes not even 1. At first I started noting those times down, but they were so numerous that I stopped. I think the question goes out to Devorah now, do you want this to be fixed, or just something to watch out for in the future?
Yes! Please do correct this! Consider the stage directions another character. You should leave just as much room for stage directions as you would for another character's line. This will make editing immensely easier and save me a lot of headaches!
Textual notes are as follows:
5:27 – not sure if this was intentional, repeat of ‘how’
I'm not sure, either, but I like it. No need to change this. It sounds fine and doesn't change anything, just adds a bit of character.
15:08 – missing line ‘Here goes’
20:36 - please add a bit more room between these lines, a bit tight at the moment

Note for Devorah: the text at 20:18 is laughing (for a sound effect in another character's speech). Just thought I'd give you a heads up in case you are one of those editors who edit first and then listen :D
People do that???? :shock: Seems to me like that's just asking for trouble. Thanks for the note, though.

Thanks so much for agreeing to PL, Campbell. I appreciate your help. :)
Thanks Everybody - this has been very helpful. I'm still a little bit new; but I think this is the first play that I've done that has had so many stage directions, especially right in the middle of speeches. I was under the impression that, with the stage directions, we wanted a little space, but not much. I have gone through and corrected the audio. Including adding the missing line. at 20:36 - now somewhere in the 23 range, there wasn't a break anywhere right there. It was one continuous line with no stage directions. I listened to that section a couple of times and it sounded right to me, but I did add space before and after the line. Hopefully, everything is good now. Thanks for all the PLing and help you guys have given me. I've uploaded the new file on top of the old.

Aaron White
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

aaronwhite1977 wrote: March 13th, 2019, 12:01 pm Thanks Everybody - this has been very helpful. I'm still a little bit new; but I think this is the first play that I've done that has had so many stage directions, especially right in the middle of speeches. I was under the impression that, with the stage directions, we wanted a little space, but not much. I have gone through and corrected the audio. Including adding the missing line. at 20:36 - now somewhere in the 23 range, there wasn't a break anywhere right there. It was one continuous line with no stage directions. I listened to that section a couple of times and it sounded right to me, but I did add space before and after the line. Hopefully, everything is good now. Thanks for all the PLing and help you guys have given me. I've uploaded the new file on top of the old.

Aaron White
I know, a lot of action, right? Well those plays tend to come out pretty great in the end. As for the spacing, thanks for fixing that! My understanding of the spacing guidelines is that the space is there for the editor to have some wiggle room while editing, also so it is easier for them to see when lines start or end. As the editor is having to splice these stage directions into the middle of your line, the space there is still important. I re listened to it, and it is all OK now! That is strange about that line that you say is one continuous line - I read it as two. And when listening to the 23 minute, all the spacing seemed right, so adding that space seemed right to me (of course I could always make a mistake). Nice job, and thanks for reading!
mightyfelix wrote: March 12th, 2019, 10:50 pm People do that???? Seems to me like that's just asking for trouble. Thanks for the note, though.
Yes, I've seen that. And then as soon as one little thing goes wrong all the lines are in the wrong order. It's a pity. Just want to mention that in case somebody edits that way they won't have to go through and fix so much!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Just thought I'd give you a heads up in case you are one of those editors who edit first and then listen :D
I edit first and then listen. I depend upon highest quality PL (thank you oh sainted DPLs! - in my case usually Sonia) to have caught all the issues - missing lines, confusing words, and missing gaps - so I can quickly merge all the parts essentially by eye using the Audacity waveform display. No, I'm not completely crazy - I do periodically check the beginning and ending of phrases so as not to get too far out of sync.

I drop into a methodical cut/paste/cut/paste trance-inducing state of mind as I repeatedly assemble the various parts like so many toy blocks, or maybe like doing knitting perhaps - I would not know. When I go back to hear the assembled play and groom all the volumes and spacings, I shift into a more creative editing state of mind as I critically listen to the parts, picture the play coming to life in the ears of our listeners, and ponder about how best the roles should go together. (For example, can I cut out an interrupting stage direction for better listening flow where the readers' voices fully communicates the desired emotions?)

I can't multi-task between the two states; I have tried and failed to do so repeatedly. For similar reason, I can't do Punch-and-Roll recording either.

An advantage of this approach is that I do get to hear the play during the editing pass already nearly complete. That is when I first hear the actual story of the play, understand what is really going on, and appreciate all the different nuances each of you has put into your acting. It is a joyful moment to hear all of you together - it is why I offer and edit so many plays here.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ToddHW wrote: March 14th, 2019, 4:39 amI do periodically check the beginning and ending of phrases so as not to get too far out of sync.
Well, yes, that's more what I was thinking. I rarely, if ever, listen all the way through a line, but I almost always listen to the first snippet of it, so that I'll be sure I'm pasting in the right thing.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

ChuckW wrote: March 14th, 2019, 5:57 pm The polite young man: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/grandmother_politeyoungman_128kb.mp3
PL OK, thank you!
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

I'd be glad to claim Bertel in Why the Chimes Rang.

Aaron
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »