KaelyMonahan

Post by KaelyMonahan »

KaelyMonahan wrote: February 5th, 2019, 4:23 pm
fiddlesticks wrote: January 14th, 2019, 4:39 pm
KaelyMonahan wrote: January 14th, 2019, 9:25 am Hello,

I'm available to read these two:

9 in which the Squire Loses His Gold Headed Cane
10 The Drive Over Cressley Common by Moonlight

A quick question about where to begin. For part 9 -- "In Which the Squire..." the top of the page starts midway through a sentence. Should I pick up on the first full sentence/paragraph? And same question for "The Driver Over..."

I'm still fairly new to LibriVox and I'm getting used to everything. I want to make sure I do things right to save you guys any trouble. As for which name to attach this to, use Kaely Monahan. (Here's my personal catalog: https://librivox.org/reader/13020.)

Thanks!
Welcome to LibriVox!! I will assign you chapters 9 and 10!
Sorry about the chapter links being slightly off, I was having problems with them when I set up the MW and had to redo a lot of them, I must have missed a couple. They are just a page off usually, but here are the correct links! Just read from the beginning of the chapter.
https://archive.org/stream/wyvernmysteryan00fanugoog#page/n64/mode/2up
https://archive.org/stream/wyvernmysteryan00fanugoog#page/n68/mode/2up
Just letting you know I will be getting to these chapters this week. I just finished the other project I was on. Looking forward to it!

-Kaely Monahan

Hi there!

I'm editing my recordings but I do have a question. There are multiple instances where it seems like the author is censoring or leaving out words. For example, in Chapter 9, on page 44, the last paragraph at the bottom the character says:
"D--n ye, are ye tongue tied?...."

I'm assuming the character is saying "damn" but how should I read that?

And there's another spot where I am unsure of what he is actually trying to say -- same chapter, page 45 in the paragraph that begins with "But ye'll not take ye're leave, sir, till I choose...." A bit further down he says "...what she is--a---and a-----." How should I read that?

Thanks for your help!
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

I could read Chapters 11, 12 and 13
Russ Bruno
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

KaelyMonahan wrote: February 22nd, 2019, 12:47 pm
fiddlesticks wrote: January 14th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Welcome to LibriVox!! I will assign you chapters 9 and 10!
Sorry about the chapter links being slightly off, I was having problems with them when I set up the MW and had to redo a lot of them, I must have missed a couple. They are just a page off usually, but here are the correct links! Just read from the beginning of the chapter.
https://archive.org/stream/wyvernmysteryan00fanugoog#page/n64/mode/2up
https://archive.org/stream/wyvernmysteryan00fanugoog#page/n68/mode/2up
Just letting you know I will be getting to these chapters this week. I just finished the other project I was on. Looking forward to it!

-Kaely Monahan

Hi there!

I'm editing my recordings but I do have a question. There are multiple instances where it seems like the author is censoring or leaving out words. For example, in Chapter 9, on page 44, the last paragraph at the bottom the character says:

And there's another spot where I am unsure of what he is actually trying to say -- same chapter, page 45 in the paragraph that begins with "But ye'll not take ye're leave, sir, till I choose...." A bit further down he says "...what she is--a---and a-----." How should I read that?

Thanks for your help!
Hi Kaely - Yes, most people just say the word damn (this is very, very common on old texts to have swear words, town names, and people's names blanked out). The other, I really am not sure about as obviously he's calling her swear names, but I wouldn't have a clue what (okay, I have a clue, but not what you should put in, lol). It might be good to ask in the help forum as there might be someone that could lead us to what they would actually be saying. Barring that, Fiddlesticks would have the last work on what she wants there.
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Hey so sorry I did not reply sooner, the past week has just been one thing after another happening! So ya what Jennifer said I would pretty much be repeating her. I am not sure about the other ones either... maybe if our MC could advise?
~Tiffany
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I saw this yesterday, and I am also baffled by the "...what she is--a---and a-----." Maybe read it as "what she is--a blank and a blank." Otherwise, I think doing the best you can is the best course of action! I agree with what Jennifer says as well, d--n is damn.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

As I said, I could do Chapters 11, 12 and 13
Russ Bruno
KaelyMonahan

Post by KaelyMonahan »

jenniferrd wrote: February 24th, 2019, 4:37 pm
KaelyMonahan wrote: February 22nd, 2019, 12:47 pm

-Kaely Monahan

Hi there!

Thanks for your help!
Hi Kaely - Yes, most people just say the word damn (this is very, very common on old texts to have swear words, town names, and people's names blanked out). The other, I really am not sure about as obviously he's calling her swear names, but I wouldn't have a clue what (okay, I have a clue, but not what you should put in, lol). It might be good to ask in the help forum as there might be someone that could lead us to what they would actually be saying. Barring that, Fiddlesticks would have the last work on what she wants there.

Thanks so much! I've posted my question to the wider forum to see if anyone has some suggestions. For the time being, I'll edit what I have. If I don't get any good answers by Wednesday, I'll do my best and submit what I have.

Thanks again!

Kaely
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Thanks for checking! S :roll: some of these things can be challenging to figure out
~Tiffany
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Shasta wrote: February 25th, 2019, 1:40 pm As I said, I could do Chapters 11, 12 and 13
Sorry I missed your previous post, I will assign those to you :thumbs:
~Tiffany
Asta1234

Post by Asta1234 »

Hello, Pleas do not delete me. I am working on these chapters. My computer had an issue that I had to look up with Audition to find out why I wasn't recording correctly. It was a hot mess. Please give me a little while longer to get this fixed and I will submit the chapters very soon!
Respectfully
Asta (not really it's Christina!)

Asta1234 wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 6:56 pm Hello, I would like to read Chapters 3, 4 and 5 to start with. I am back after a tragic personal injury. I am able to be a regular reader. We downloaded a book I read years ago and my family just loved hearing me read for them on a car trip! If you say yes to the Chapters I will start immediately. Thanks. Chris --
P. S. I now see that someone requested 3-6. So I will take Chapter 7 to start with. I will just go ahead tonight and read it. If I can get the other Chapters Great. Let me know what you want me to do! :D
Christina
Asta1234

Post by Asta1234 »

Not sure if my other post came up and you can read it.
I am still here. Just need a little more time to finish my chapters. I promise I am working on them!
Christina
Asta1234

Post by Asta1234 »

icequeen wrote: February 24th, 2019, 10:37 pm I saw this yesterday, and I am also baffled by the "...what she is--a---and a-----." Maybe read it as "what she is--a blank and a blank." Otherwise, I think doing the best you can is the best course of action! I agree with what Jennifer says as well, d--n is damn.

Maybe I can help. When there are dashes in books it's like us using dots ..... in today's writings.
It's just the character is stammering. Looking for the right words. What she is .... a... and ... a ... someone trying to say something and maybe timid or lying. I always pause between words when I see dashes. If this didn't help and I am out of context here, I apologize.
Chris
Christina
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Asta1234 wrote: March 4th, 2019, 12:20 pm
icequeen wrote: February 24th, 2019, 10:37 pm I saw this yesterday, and I am also baffled by the "...what she is--a---and a-----." Maybe read it as "what she is--a blank and a blank." Otherwise, I think doing the best you can is the best course of action! I agree with what Jennifer says as well, d--n is damn.

Maybe I can help. When there are dashes in books it's like us using dots ..... in today's writings.
It's just the character is stammering. Looking for the right words. What she is .... a... and ... a ... someone trying to say something and maybe timid or lying. I always pause between words when I see dashes. If this didn't help and I am out of context here, I apologize.
Chris
Thanks for giving us an update, Fiddlesticks will let you know if there are any issues.

Just on the other, the dashes aren't the same as dots today. Often names, places, and curse words were blanked out in old books. I'm sure it was so that the author didn't give offense to anyone and couldn't be sued or banned or anything else. And knowing the story, the Squire is anything but timid. He had no filter, as we would say today. :lol: :lol:
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Asta1234 wrote: March 4th, 2019, 12:17 pm Not sure if my other post came up and you can read it.
I am still here. Just need a little more time to finish my chapters. I promise I am working on them!
No worries, I would send you a pm before I'd remove you! This is a slower project so there is no rush, if you are having problems getting to it you can always ask for an extension to the two months as well :D
~Tiffany
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

I just remembered I came across this in a group project I read for and I did not even think about it, I just said "blank" for those spots and proof listener did not say anything about it. Is that an acceptable option icequeen?
~Tiffany