One way to remove clicks embedded in words:

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Spiffycat

Post by Spiffycat »

If click removal (under effects) doesn't help, and you don't have too many clicks, here's how to easily remove them. Not all clicks embedded in words can be removed without ruining the word, but most of them can.

1/ Tap your cursor as close as possible to the click on the wave form. It's a guessing game.
2/ Pull down the "triangle menu" right under the word "solo" on the far left side of the track. Go to spectrogram. Pretty colors!
3/ Find your cursor (can be hard to see) and see if there are prominent thin vertical lines nearby. One of them is probably your click. They often are thinner and sharper than the other lines, but can just be an oval. If you play the click, it will sound clicky.
4/ Highlight the line just as you would any other edit.
5/ Press ONLY the z key.
6/ Hit Control x to edit.
7/ Listen to the word to see if the click is gone. If not, undo your edit by hitting Control z. (You probably took out something you wanted to keep in.)
8/ Try this on nearby lines until you find the click.
9/ Return to original site by going to "waveform" in the triangle menu.
Pretty soon you'll be able to ID the clicks pretty quickly.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Click Removal never works for me.

De-clicker, an effect plugin you have to install yourself, works miracles. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52753
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Made me smile (emphasis and other editing mine):
Spiffycat wrote: ↑March 2nd, 2019, 10:36 am If click removal (under effects) doesn't help, and you don't have too many clicks, here's how to easily remove them. ...

1/ Tap your cursor as close as possible to the ...
2/ Pull down the "triangle menu" right under ...
3/ Find your cursor (can be hard to see) and see if ...
4/ Highlight the line ...
5/ Press ...
6/ Hit ...
7/ ...
8/ Try ...
9/ ...
I wonder how many steps would justify dropping the "easily" qualification. :D

Anyway, thanks for being thorough, Cat! :thumbs:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I'll check this out. Click Removal never works for me, either, but I'll check out both your guys' suggestions :)
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I agree with Tricia on the de-clicker. I love it!
Spiffycat

Post by Spiffycat »

TriciaG wrote: ↑March 2nd, 2019, 10:51 am Click Removal never works for me.

De-clicker, an effect plugin you have to install yourself, works miracles. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52753
Didn't work for me either, but I've sure learned to back away from the mic. A plug in would be great, thanks!
Spiffycat

Post by Spiffycat »

tovarisch wrote: ↑March 2nd, 2019, 11:01 am Made me smile (emphasis and other editing mine):
Spiffycat wrote: ↑March 2nd, 2019, 10:36 am If click removal (under effects) doesn't help, and you don't have too many clicks, here's how to easily remove them. ...

1/ Tap your cursor as close as possible to the ...
2/ Pull down the "triangle menu" right under ...
3/ Find your cursor (can be hard to see) and see if ...
4/ Highlight the line ...
5/ Press ...
6/ Hit ...
7/ ...
8/ Try ...
9/ ...
I wonder how many steps would justify dropping the "easily" qualification. :D

Anyway, thanks for being thorough, Cat! :thumbs:
Yeah, you're totally right. But if you saw how I was removing them before....oy veh! ;-)
Spiffycat

Post by Spiffycat »

mightyfelix wrote: ↑March 2nd, 2019, 1:25 pm I agree with Tricia on the de-clicker. I love it!
Will do! :P
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I think what would be easier to do, is re-record the word or sentence if there's a click in it. I have never tried to remove the click, just because of how much easier I think it would be to just re-read the word/sentence.

It's a good suggestion though, since it is a way to remove those pesky clicks :D <smile>
Spiffycat

Post by Spiffycat »

ej400 wrote: ↑March 3rd, 2019, 6:12 pm I think what would be easier to do, is re-record the word or sentence if there's a click in it. I have never tried to remove the click, just because of how much easier I think it would be to just re-read the word/sentence.

It's a good suggestion though, since it is a way to remove those pesky clicks :D <smile>
I agree, lots of times I just re record, and usually a whole sentence, not just a word bc it always sounds a bit different. But I'm going for the plug in, definitely. :D
Spiffycat

Post by Spiffycat »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑March 2nd, 2019, 11:35 am I'll check this out. Click Removal never works for me, either, but I'll check out both your guys' suggestions :)
My way is great if you have, say, ten clicks in important passages, but not good for a hundred. But, it's also fun to watch the colors of the spectrogram fly by---I don't get out much... :D
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

My clicks are almost always about 3500 Hz so the ones that de-clicker can't handle I go after with a notch filter at 3500 (Q of 0.5), or zoom in until I can see the cycle with the click and just cut it out. But most of them are eliminated (or at least sufficiently reduced) by de-clicker. Thank you, Tricia, for pointing me to it some months ago.
Tom Penn
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

As tovarisch has said, it will be a big job and I think tiresome to do more than a few de-clicking edits. Surely you should find the reason and/or source for the clicks and eliminate the cause? If the clicks are electronic then you need to trace the reason. (And it will give you more time to get out more often ...)

If they are aural i.e. in the recording space, then you need to eliminate them or find a quieter space.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

There is the third kind (in addition to electronic interference and sound in the room), and albeit rarely but I do meet them in my recordings. I think they might be due to some hitch/bug in the software. I doubt it's in Reaper, so most likely place is the driver of my USB interface. Once in a great while there would be a click/crack in the track and I just can't pinpoint the source, and it does not sound like what my mouth would produce (tongue, lips). There are two ways of dealing with them, as already has been pointed out: cutting it out or re-recording. I have done both. Luckily those weird clicks are so rare that spending a couple minutes on carefully removing one from a waveform is not a big tax on my editing time.

The bottomline: get familiar with all the stuff you'll likely encounter and learn different ways of dealing with it -- know your tools, their limitations and their capabilities. :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Spiffycat wrote: ↑March 3rd, 2019, 6:42 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: ↑March 2nd, 2019, 11:35 am I'll check this out. Click Removal never works for me, either, but I'll check out both your guys' suggestions :)
My way is great if you have, say, ten clicks in important passages, but not good for a hundred. But, it's also fun to watch the colors of the spectrogram fly by---I don't get out much... :D
ej400 wrote: ↑March 3rd, 2019, 6:12 pm I think what would be easier to do, is re-record the word or sentence if there's a click in it. I have never tried to remove the click, just because of how much easier I think it would be to just re-read the word/sentence.

Right. Thanks, both of you!
Spiffycat wrote: ↑March 3rd, 2019, 6:42 pm But, it's also fun to watch the colors of the spectrogram fly by---I don't get out much... :D
Haha, that sounds fun. I'll try it :)

Thanks,
JayKitty
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~