COMPLETE[FANTASY FIC] A Traveler from Altruria by William Dean Howells-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EmmaHatton

Post by EmmaHatton »

hdcn

Post by hdcn »

EmmaHatton wrote: December 28th, 2018, 12:48 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/altruria_02_howells_128kb.mp3 chapter 2 is done
Thanks, Emma! I will PL both of your sections over the holiday weekend.

Jeff B.
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Emma, I have started to PL Chapter 1, but there are so many words that are misread (as well as distracting noises on the recording) that I'm not sure if it's feasible to continue. The mistakes and noises occur sometimes several times per minute, which would make simply patching the recording difficult. Your reading style and your inflection are both quite good, and I'm not sure why the misreads are happening. Please make sure that you are reading only from the source text which is linked at the top of the thread (at Gutenberg.org). There may be other versions out there with typos. You read quite fast, which could also be the reason for so many misreads, and it may help to just slow down a little bit when reading and not rush through the section. Also, I'm not sure if what you are recording is actually your very first read-through of the material. Just speaking for myself, I often find that it helps to read over the chapter once or twice before beginning to record, just to gain some familiarity with the text. Please take a look at my notes below on the first ten minutes of the recording, and let me know if we are both hearing the same thing.

1:14 – Misread “who all looked hot” as “who had looked so hot”
1:35 – Misread “contemporaneity” as “contemporary”
1:37 – Misread “to the end of time” as “at the end of time”
2:05 – Misread “sicklied” as “sickled”
2:27 – Mispronounced “benignant”
2:42 – Misread “baggage” as “bagging”
3:44 – Misread “tally” as “Italy”
3:52 – Misread “called gayly” as “called the gayly”
4:05 – Misread “the Altrurian” as “an Altrutian”
4:09 – Misread “serenely” as “searingly”
4:12 – Misread “fancied” as “fastened”
4:44 – Misread “human nature” as “the human nature”
6:06 – Misread “baggage” as “bagging”
6:25 – Misread “he seemed” as “he needed”
6:27 – Misread “baggage” as “bagging”
8:28 – Misread “foot” as “front”
8:34 – Misread “fame” as “frame”
8:46 – Misread “peculiar” as “particular”
9:06 – Beeping or buzzing noise on the recording
9:21 – Misread “showed us” as “showed up”
9:26 – Mispronounced “divinity”
9:41 – Squawking noise on the recording
9:46 – Loud popping noise on the recording
9:51 – Misread “responded” as “replied”
9:57 – Misread “recognition” as “reckoning”
9:59 – Loud popping noise on the recording
10:06 – Misread “institutions” as “intuitions”
10:08 – Buzzing or squawking noise on the recording
10:11 – Stumble over “get our point of view”
10:16 – Misread “word” as “world”
10:17 – Misread “self-respectful” as “self-respect”

Please let me know what you think, and also please let me know if I can be of help in any way! Thanks,

Jeff B.
EmmaHatton

Post by EmmaHatton »

this book was written in such a way that had to re-read parts of it tens of time. it was so well written that my young mind could not comprehend what was happening. it was difficult to read, and yes I read fast, just to get it done, hence the mistakes I did not catch. I had no clue how to pronounce half of the words, and apparently, my sister's bird wanted to get in on the book. It took hours and hours from my day. It would take me even longer to find and fix all of the other mistakes, and new ones further in the chapter. I am sorry and a bit disappointed that I want to resign these chapters. :cry: thanks for that compliment though.
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

EmmaHatton wrote: December 30th, 2018, 8:52 am I am sorry and a bit disappointed that I want to resign these chapters.
Please don't worry! That's totally understandable, but I certainly hope that you don't stop reading for Librivox. There are all kinds of projects going on, and you may find something better suited to the level and topics that you prefer. It's true that recording is tremendously time-consuming. When I first started reading for various projects, I assumed that a 30-minute section would take me anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes to record. In fact, if you take into account editing and mastering, it probably still takes me from 30 to 45 minutes for each one minute of voice over. So you're not alone in that!!
EmmaHatton

Post by EmmaHatton »

hey, thanks, yeah, I feel it to much work to redo all of this, I resign both of these chapters for sure. but I think I could do some things in dramatic works.
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Sections 1 and 2 have been orphaned, and are available to be claimed.

Amy - I was unable to remove Emma's name from the MW. Could you please message me and explain how to do this?
MerryShari

Post by MerryShari »

I'd like to claim a chapter. This would be my first project. I need to clear up some settings issue with my 1-minute test, but then I'd be ready to do this. I can take whatever chapter you'd like me to do.
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

MerryShari wrote: January 5th, 2019, 8:13 am I'd like to claim a chapter. This would be my first project. I need to clear up some settings issue with my 1-minute test, but then I'd be ready to do this. I can take whatever chapter you'd like me to do.
That would be great! You’re welcome to claim chapter 1 or any of the other chapters. Please just let me know once you’ve completed your one minute test.
MerryShari

Post by MerryShari »

I have already completed my one-minute test. I'm thinking, to make sure I have everything set, I should start with a children's story with short chapters. So, put my request on hold for now. Once I get through a short chapter, I'll come back and request a chapter from this book.

Thanks!
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

MerryShari wrote: January 7th, 2019, 4:10 pm Once I get through a short chapter, I'll come back and request a chapter from this book.
No problem! Feel free to get in touch whenever you're ready.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Jeff!
Let's get the ball rolling here! May I claim chapter 1? :)

It might help to get claimants if you put (approximate) word counts for the sections in the MW. I personally find that it helps a lot to know what I'm getting into when claiming, and having an idea of how long the section will be is a large part of that. Just a suggestion! :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Foon,
I added your claim in the MW for Jeff.
Thanks,
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

What month is this, March?

Ok, chapter 2, please.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Chapter 2 is now assigned. Thank you for claiming!