(Complete) A Short History of the World by H. G. Wells - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 15, 16 and 17 are PL OK. I love it better now that we're into history with written sources and more archeological evidence and artwork. :)
Pattymarie
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

pattymarie wrote: February 20th, 2019, 3:23 pm I love it better now that we're into history with written sources and more archeological evidence and artwork. :)
Me too!!! Those trilobites swimming around in the all-world-covering slime were not much fun. :lol:
Thanks!
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Sections 18, 19 and 20 are uploaded.
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Chapters 21 and 22 uploaded.
K. :)
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

I'm sorry, I forgot to report that sections 18, 19 and 20 are PL OK. I'll get to the new ones and mark all in the MW over the weekend.
Pattymarie
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Thank you, Pattymarie! Absolutely no hurry here.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 21 and 22 are PL OK.
Pattymarie
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Chapters 23 and 24 are uploaded. :)
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 23 and 24 are PL OK.
Pattymarie
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Chapters 25 and 26 are uploaded.
K. :)
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Got them and just noticed that chapter 29 is about the Indian king, Asoka. From my working of a tutorial on Sanskrit pronunciation, I'm pretty sure that's pronounced Ashoka. It has a cedilla on the s in proper transcription to the Latin alphabet that usually makes it an sh sound. I've often seen it spelled Ashoka as well. I'll check with an Indian Librivox volunteer who will know for certain.

Edit: I've sent a pm to the volunteer in India. He'll probably respond soon. On-line pronunciation sources conflict.
Pattymarie
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Pattymarie,
thank you very much for all the trouble with king Asoka/Ashoka! Most likely you are right about the sh sound. In my native language the personage is also pronounced as Ashoka (which is of course only circumstantial evidence)... but let's wait what the Indian volunteer says.
K.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

"Sh" it is. Jothi also sent this link to a charming little video lesson about Ashoka, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XojmEmy7kw that might be helpful with place names associated with him as well. Most interestingly "Magadha" is pronounced [mug' ud] with English short u's in the video, and that's what I remember from the research I did back when I wanted to record a book of Indian history but found the pronunciation requirements overwhelming.
:
Edit: Uh-oh, in this video the "ha" at the end of Magadha is pronounced, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSof2HncHvo . It's near the beginning at 0:19. [muh-gud'-huh]. I would go with that because of the spelling. That's how it actually was in my research sources. It's actually hard to tell whether he is pronouncing the last syllable "huh" or "hah": Sanskrit does have a short a pronounced like the u in ugly and a long a pronounced "ah," but sometimes it's really hard to tell which one a speakers of modern Indian languages are using, so people will just have to put up with the best we foreigners can make out. :roll:
Pattymarie
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Whilst I understand wanting to get as close as possible, and appreciate your research in this respect, remember at LV we don't sweat pronunciation 8-)
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Pattymarie and Lynne,
thank you both! :)
I certainly do not pretend to understand all the niceties of the origins of the pronunciation etc and would probably never have the patience to look it all up in so much detail myself (many thanks, Pattymarie!!!). But, on the other hand, I feel it is nice to get the pronunciation correct at least with the principal characters ... I don't think I will be overzealous, no fear of that (thanks, Lynnet!!!).

So, Ashoka with "sh" it is! 8-)