COMPLETE[PLAY]Every Man Out of His Humour by Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hi Todd, I'm thinking of reading the Tailor for you - would you like me to take one of the Rustics as well? I think Rustic 3 or 4 has the fewest lines, so I could add in the 2 lines for one of them as well, or are you avoiding duplication?
LexHankins

Post by LexHankins »

Ready for PL:
Groom (Act 5) 1:45 https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/outofhumour_groom_5_128kb.mp3

I left 6-7 sec of dead air between lines and in place of stage directions.

I know critical feedback tends not to be a thing in Librivox, but I would welcome constructive feedback via PM at any point before it's added to the catalog.
--
Lex (she/her)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

LexHankins wrote: February 19th, 2019, 11:19 pmReady for PL:
Groom (Act 5) 1:45 https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/outofhumour_groom_5_128kb.mp3
I know critical feedback tends not to be a thing in Librivox, but I would welcome constructive feedback via PM at any point before it's added to the catalog.
wonderful job, Lex :clap: no need to do this in a PM, good praise can always be made in the open :mrgreen: Is this your first drama role ? you are a natural at getting well into character. Even though the groom's role is "sweet and short" :lol: you managed to give him a personality and it's absolutely fitting when you show your outrage at being degraded to dog-keeper. This will be a perfect addition to this particular scene. You'll see, in the end when it all is stitched together by our marvellous editor-in-chief, it will sound so much better even than simply hearing the lines all alone.

It's a perfect start and all I can recommend you is: hop quickly into another dramatic play and don't hesitate to take a bigger role if you wish. I certainly am looking forward to hearing you in another part soon. :9:

This is PL ok.

Ah yes, maybe for constructive criticism I would have one detail. Be careful of your volume, it sounded a tiny bit loud in some parts. This is ok in drama, as the volume will get adjusted by the editor anyway, but if you are getting too loud, there is the danger of clipping the audio, meaning your "spikes" will get cut off and this might distort the sound if it's happening over a long time. Here it didn't so all is well. But it might be something to watch out for in future recordings.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Elizabby wrote: February 19th, 2019, 9:02 pmHi Todd, I'm thinking of reading the Tailor for you - would you like me to take one of the Rustics as well? I think Rustic 3 or 4 has the fewest lines, so I could add in the 2 lines for one of them as well, or are you avoiding duplication?
I think the Rustics apear in the same act as the Tailor, so I'm not sure whether we should be doubling of voices in the same act :? But I know you can take other roles which appear in different acts.

I can sign you up for the Tailor already and let Todd weigh in on this for the Rustics. :)

Thanks Beth, looking forward to your Tailor.

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

LexHankins wrote: February 19th, 2019, 11:19 pm Ready for PL:

Just a general comment, but if you want CC (constructive criticism) ask the PLer for it, as you have done here. I often say something like "I whispered the line at 1:05 as directed in the text but if it is too soft let me know. Also, did we ever decide how to pronounce this character's name? I've put a laugh into the file at the end which the editor can use or not." (Since Dramatic Works will be edited by someone else, there is more latitude than if it were a chapter recording.)

Or if you have a specific question like "how do I reduce these weird sounds in my recording?" you can submit it to the Listener's Forum just the same as you did with your 1 minute test. There's a folder marked "non projects" or you can submit a link of your recording made for a project.

EDIT: Would you consider claiming one of the "Rustics" in Act 3? I'm not admin for this project, but I notice that non-overlapping claims are allowed, and this would help you get some more feedback from our ever-helpful Kitty! DPL extraordinaire! :9:
Last edited by Elizabby on February 20th, 2019, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Kitty wrote: February 20th, 2019, 5:02 am
Elizabby wrote: February 19th, 2019, 9:02 pmHi Todd, I'm thinking of reading the Tailor for you - would you like me to take one of the Rustics as well? I think Rustic 3 or 4 has the fewest lines, so I could add in the 2 lines for one of them as well, or are you avoiding duplication?
I think the Rustics apear in the same act as the Tailor, so I'm not sure whether we should be doubling of voices in the same act :? But I know you can take other roles which appear in different acts.
I don't especially want more roles, I was just worried that 5 essentially "single line" parts will be hard to fill. I'm prepared to do a different voice for the Rustic, as it's only tiny so sustainability of an accent isn't an issue.

Todd, not trying to tell you how to run your own project, but have you considered maybe asking people who are committed to read for roles which don't appear in Act 3 to consider reading one of the Rustics? Lady Puntarvolo, Fido and the Drawer would all be good candidates. Fido isn't claimed yet, so a note in the MW asking the claimant to "consider also reading one of the Rustics" would do? The Groom potentially, though this role is already recorded. (That's how I do it with these small roles, anyway. I think people who are already involved with the project are usually keen to help it into the catalogue, so it is easier to recruit them than it is to convince someone to come aboard just to read two lines... Then again, I don't mind too much about duplication either.)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I prefer if possible to let as many people as possible be involved - even if it is just for a single line - so that they may get as hooked on dramas as I am.

I'll reconsider as we get closer to full. I have a lot of projects going on at this point.

Thanks, Todd
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

ToddHW wrote: February 20th, 2019, 3:35 pm I prefer if possible to let as many people as possible be involved - even if it is just for a single line - so that they may get as hooked on dramas as I am.
LOL! Good point! :thumbs:
LexHankins

Post by LexHankins »

Kitty wrote: February 20th, 2019, 4:57 am
LexHankins wrote: February 19th, 2019, 11:19 pmReady for PL:
... I know critical feedback tends not to be a thing in Librivox, but I would welcome constructive feedback via PM at any point before it's added to the catalog.
wonderful job, Lex :clap: no need to do this in a PM, good praise can always be made in the open :mrgreen: Is this your first drama role ? you are a natural at getting well into character. Even though the groom's role is "sweet and short" :lol: you managed to give him a personality and it's absolutely fitting when you show your outrage at being degraded to dog-keeper. This will be a perfect addition to this particular scene. You'll see, in the end when it all is stitched together by our marvellous editor-in-chief, it will sound so much better even than simply hearing the lines all alone.

It's a perfect start and all I can recommend you is: hop quickly into another dramatic play and don't hesitate to take a bigger role if you wish. I certainly am looking forward to hearing you in another part soon. :9:
:oops: Ummm... :9: Th-thank you... :9:

It's the first role I've taken in a long time, and my first dramatic voiceover. It's a world of difference! Without an audience, I can relax, experiment, and make as many mistakes as I want. No one ever need know how many takes happened to get it just right. It's quite liberating. Self-direction is tough, which is why I tend to request feedback.

I wouldn't say I'm a natural; it was more a product of analysis and iteration. In the end, however, you seem pleased, and that is an awesome feeling.
... Ah yes, maybe for constructive criticism I would have one detail. Be careful of your volume, it sounded a tiny bit loud in some parts. This is ok in drama, as the volume will get adjusted by the editor anyway, but if you are getting too loud, there is the danger of clipping the audio, meaning your "spikes" will get cut off and this might distort the sound if it's happening over a long time. Here it didn't so all is well. But it might be something to watch out for in future recordings...
You are very perceptive! I used Audacity to normalize the volume of each line separately to -1 dB. Clipping does indeed sound awful. Generally, when I record, I aim for -6 dB at conversational volume. Once I have the performance right, I arrange the lines; remove clicks (mainly for longer passages); apply noise reduction; EQ (mainly to remove my 130 Hz "muddiness"); compress; and normalize to -1 dB. I keep the noisy files around for a while, just in case. The biggest challenges I see for myself are mouth clicks and lower-amplitude plosives. I can't always hear the latter.

Thank you very, very much for the feedback!
--
Lex (she/her)
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
LexHankins

Post by LexHankins »

Elizabby wrote: February 20th, 2019, 2:21 pm
LexHankins wrote: February 19th, 2019, 11:19 pm Ready for PL:
... I know critical feedback tends not to be a thing in Librivox, but I would welcome constructive feedback via PM at any point before it's added to the catalog.
Just a general comment, but if you want CC (constructive criticism) ask the PLer for it, as you have done here. I often say something like "I whispered the line at 1:05 as directed in the text but if it is too soft let me know. Also, did we ever decide how to pronounce this character's name? I've put a laugh into the file at the end which the editor can use or not." (Since Dramatic Works will be edited by someone else, there is more latitude than if it were a chapter recording.)
I can see how that would be useful for a busy Project Listener. I'm concerned that if I guide the feedback that much, I won't get the most value of the experience. I tend to want to know about the aspect that needs the most work -- be it the performance, problems with engineering, environment, or whatever.
Or if you have a specific question like "how do I reduce these weird sounds in my recording?" you can submit it to the Listener's Forum just the same as you did with your 1 minute test. There's a folder marked "non projects" or you can submit a link of your recording made for a project.
I tend to do web-searches for technical issues, but knowing there are people out there to help is reassuring. Thanks!
EDIT: Would you consider claiming one of the "Rustics" in Act 3? I'm not admin for this project, but I notice that non-overlapping claims are allowed, and this would help you get some more feedback from our ever-helpful Kitty! DPL extraordinaire! :9:
Sure, I'll take a look!
--
Lex (she/her)
LexHankins

Post by LexHankins »

May I claim #8 (Rustic 2, Act 3) ?
--
Lex (she/her)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you all.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ealswythe wrote: February 20th, 2019, 9:22 pm Lady Puntarvolo
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/outofhumour_ladypuntarvolo_2_128kb.mp3 1:07
:D
thank you, Linda, wonderful to have you in a play again. :D Lady Puntarvolo sounds like a bit of a flirt ;) well done, sadly she only appears in one scene. But totally PL ok, of course.

Sonia