I'd like to do section 6

tommack
tommack

Post by tommack »

Sorry i see section 6 is assigned. I'll do section 7
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

tommack wrote: February 6th, 2019, 12:13 pm Sorry i see section 6 is assigned. I'll do section 7
Great! I'm happy to assign it to you as soon as I get the chance. You can start working on section 7 as soon as you're ready.
tommack

Post by tommack »

i have a question. The MW divides this book into sections. The book has no chapter numbers.
Therefore, in the intro (and outro) should I say Chapter 7 as the recording notes indicate, or shall I say section 7?

Tommack
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks for your question! I forgot to change the default wording to fit this project. I've fixed it now. Take another look at that first post, and let me know if you still need help.
tommack

Post by tommack »

That answers the question. Thanks for your prompt reply

Tom
DanaPaterson

Post by DanaPaterson »

Uploaded Section 15. Length 16:16 https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/firstamericananimals_15_langford_128.mp3

It's my first, so let me have it! I've learned a ton. Thanks for the opportunity.

Dana
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Dana! I've created your reader page and updated the MW. Here is your personal reader page-----> https://librivox.org/reader/13147 This lists everything you're currently working on (as of now, only this book), and will eventually also include everything you've ever completed.

I've just had a quick listen to the introduction and ending of section 15. We don't yet have a DPL (dedicated proof listener) for this project, so you may have to wait a short while for a full proof listen. I'll go ahead and place an advertisement for a DPL, but if we don't get one right away, I'll try to give this section a full listen myself in the next few days.

In the meantime, there is one edit I'd like you to make to your intro. Looking again at the introduction instructions:
  • "Section [number] of Stories of the First American Animals. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Stories of the First American Animals, by George Langford. [Section title]"
You have done the first bullet perfectly. The second is optional, and you've chosen to skip it, which is fine. But the third needs to be in place. In this case, the section title will be "Manatus the Merman of the Chesapeake Part 1."

You can wait to make this change until after you've received the rest of your feedback, if you like, in case there are other changes needed. And if you're ready to continue on with recording the next section while you wait on feedback, that's totally fine!

Thanks again for joining this project. I hope you're enjoying it so far! :D
Tonewolf

Post by Tonewolf »

I would like to read section 24 please
Trevor Johnston
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Tonewolf wrote: February 17th, 2019, 2:52 pm I would like to read section 24 please
Welcome! I'm happy to assign this to you, and I'm pleased that you picked this project for your first contribution. To set up your reader page, I'll need to know what name you'd like to be credited as. Many (not all) volunteers use their real name, but you can also use your forum login name or a pseudonym if you like. I can also link your reader page to a blog or website, if you have one.
Tonewolf

Post by Tonewolf »

Thank you! It looks like it'll be a fun read and I hope I'm a good fit.
The name I'd like to use is my real name Trevor Johnston. I don't have a blog or website at this point so no worries there.
Thanks again! :D
Trevor Johnston
ke126

Post by ke126 »

Please sign me up to read sections 11-13

Pronunciation question: Poebro is spelled with an umlaut e - not sure how to pronounce? "Poe" like the author would be easiest...please advise

Thanks!

Kristin
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

My first thought is to give it three syllables: poh-EH-bro. But it's not really important, just as long as you remain consistent. I'll take whatever feels comfortable for you.

I'll try to update the MW this afternoon. But those sections are yours, and you can begin recording whenever you're ready.
Tonewolf

Post by Tonewolf »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/firstamericananimals_24_langford_128kb.mp3

Section 24 uploaded
Duration 12:59

If you are happy with what I've done so far, I'd love to take on section 25.
Trevor Johnston
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

DanaPaterson wrote: February 13th, 2019, 9:45 am Uploaded Section 15. Length 16:16 https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/firstamericananimals_15_langford_128.mp3

It's my first, so let me have it! I've learned a ton. Thanks for the opportunity.

Dana
Nicely done, Dana. I like the characterizations you used for each of the animals. The text itself is great, no corrections needed. I do need the section title included, as I explained above. So, at around 13 seconds, you'll need to insert: "Stories of the First American Animals, by George Langford. Manatus the Merman of the Chesapeake Part 1."

I'd also highly recommend running a round of compression on this file. Here is a helpful video explaining what the compressor is and how to use it. Basically, it will reduce the volume of only the louder parts of your recording, leaving the softer parts alone. This is especially helpful for sections where characters are excited or angry, or any time your voice becomes suddenly louder.