COMPLETE[PLAY] The Drummer, or, The Haunted House - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Alan. It's in the MW. :D
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

mightyfelix wrote: February 10th, 2019, 11:23 pm At one point (when, of course, I should have been paying attention to the prayer or something), I started thinking that if the noise was a drum rather than a tick, it would indeed be very ghostly and disturbing! :lol:
Drums are our friends. Because until they stop, the bass solo can’t start. :shock:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Here's a drumroll sound effect, actually two! The first is me drumming on the bathroom door (to make it kind of hollow and muffled sounding) the second is me actually drumming on the desk where my mic stands, which sounds closer and less ghostly. Both of these are just me doing a standard drumroll and beats, nothing actually composed or copyrighted.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/drumroll.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/drumroll2.mp3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Beth, you're a treasure! Thanks so much!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you, Todd. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I think it will be a riot when it's all put together.

I like the dry tone you've given to Vellum, especially when he breaks into his lecturing mode. Also his "jocular" moments, which give a nice contrast. I do have some notes for you. The first one is easy, and I'll leave it up to you whether or not to change it. In your voice credit, you say "recorded by Todd." I'm used to hearing "read by," and I expect that's how the rest of the credits will come in. I don't mind leaving yours as it is, but wanted to point it out in case you wanted to change it.

The second issue is a bit more extensive, and I feel a little bad asking for the change, because it happens many times. :( But it seems you missed my note in the first post regarding "Mrs. Abigail." I've done some research on the "Mrs." abbreviation, and I believe this should be "Mistress." That mode of address was far more common and respectful than "Missus" at the time this was written, and I think "Missus" is confusing, because it gives the impression that she's already married. Unfortunately, Vellum is a bit obsessed with her and repeats her name far more often than is reasonable, so there are many instances where this shows up. :( I've noted them all below. Please take your time, there's no rush at all. And again, I'm sorry to ask it, but I really want to be consistent with this. Thank you!

Act 2:
4:19
4:34
4:41
4:51
6:48

Act 3:
2:09
2:27
2:31
2:41
2:48
3:01
3:18
3:27
3:41
3:54
4:00
4:08
4:36
5:04

Act 4:
2:51
3:07
4:11

Act 5:
0:34
2:18
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Alan! I love the slur in your speech. He's very obviously in his cups during this scene. I have one optional note for you, that could increase the comedy of your character. The final line of this act, "Spare my life, and take all I have," is spoken just after the drum starts up, right in the middle of the Gardener's boast that he would manfully stand up to the spirit. If you insert a bit more fear into this final line, I think it would be quite funny and show better how empty his boasts were!

However, that's just a suggestion. Everything is here and it sounds great! :D
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mightyfelix wrote: February 26th, 2019, 1:56 pm Thank you, Todd. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I think it will be a riot when it's all put together.

I like the dry tone you've given to Vellum, especially when he breaks into his lecturing mode. Also his "jocular" moments, which give a nice contrast. I do have some notes for you. The first one is easy, and I'll leave it up to you whether or not to change it. In your voice credit, you say "recorded by Todd." I'm used to hearing "read by," and I expect that's how the rest of the credits will come in. I don't mind leaving yours as it is, but wanted to point it out in case you wanted to change it.

The second issue is a bit more extensive, and I feel a little bad asking for the change, because it happens many times. :( But it seems you missed my note in the first post regarding "Mrs. Abigail." I've done some research on the "Mrs." abbreviation, and I believe this should be "Mistress." That mode of address was far more common and respectful than "Missus" at the time this was written, and I think "Missus" is confusing, because it gives the impression that she's already married. Unfortunately, Vellum is a bit obsessed with her and repeats her name far more often than is reasonable, so there are many instances where this shows up. :( I've noted them all below. Please take your time, there's no rush at all. And again, I'm sorry to ask it, but I really want to be consistent with this. Thank you!

Act 2:
4:19
4:34
4:41
4:51
6:48

Act 3:
2:09
2:27
2:31
2:41
2:48
3:01
3:18
3:27
3:41
3:54
4:00
4:08
4:36
5:04

Act 4:
2:51
3:07
4:11

Act 5:
0:34
2:18
Oh drat.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me where all the Mrs errors are. That is a big help! Will fix voice credit too.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have unmarried Abigale in all of Vellum's 4 acts, and added voice credit correction to Act 2.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Wow, that was quick, thanks! I won't be able to check them until tomorrow afternoon or evening.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ToddHW wrote: February 26th, 2019, 5:34 pm I have unmarried Abigale in all of Vellum's 4 acts, and added voice credit correction to Act 2.

Thanks, Todd
PL ok now, thank you! :D
benderca

Post by benderca »

Quick question:

So I think I've got the title correct for "Mistress" Abigal, but what about her name? In the magic window, you have "Abigail", but in both source texts, it's Abigal (with no "i"). Is the pronunciation the same?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I don't think it's very important, but so far everyone has been pronouncing it as "Abigail." Actually, I even saw it as "Abigail" as I was reading through the play, until near the very end when I finally noticed the spelling! :lol:
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

“Abigal/Abigail”

With my vowels, I doubt anyone could hear the difference. :lol:

Chris
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Act1: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/drummerorhauntedhouse_fantome_1_128kb.mp3
Since when is a ghost so anxious about sounding "Lights Out"?

Act 4: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/drummerorhauntedhouse_fantome_4_128kb.mp3
Wherein Fantome graduates from Mistress Abigal's Finishing College For Coxcombs. Luckily, Mistress Abigal grades on a curve.

Act 5: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/drummerorhauntedhouse_fantome_5_128kb.mp3
The biter bit.

Cheers,
Chris