Emojis?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I'm not sure if this should go in Off-Topic or not- admins, please move this if it is not in the right forum.
I'm not sure if this is possible (I read a thread somewhere that said a server comes with emojis sometimes) but is it possible to add a couple more emojis to the emoji list? I've seen admins using some really cool ones - is that a special coding thing that they are able to do? Sometimes I can't find an emoji to portray the right thing- a couple suggestions I had were:
- A crying but happy emoji (as in 'that's really beautiful'- maybe for podcasts or something?)
-A 'relief' or 'phew ' emoji- not sure how that would work (maybe an emoji wiping its brow?)
- A 'shrug' emoji- I know volunteers use *shrug* to say it but I thought it might be fun to have one.
Anyway, I'm not sure if this is even possible but I thought I'd put it out there.

Let me know what you think.
God bless,
JayKitty
~ ๐š˜๐š— ๐š‘๐š’๐šŠ๐š๐šž๐šœ ~
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I was thinking the same thing just earlier today. I've seen Phil's penguin emoji who would put claims in the MW for him (I can't remember her name, I am very sorry philchenevert, I really like your penguin but I can't remember her name), and I always wondered how he did that.

If this is even possible to add emoji's, I think we should add a smirking emoji.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

That's a good idea, too, Elijah! :) I always wondered- what's the purpose of the two devil emojis (Evil and Twisted Evil)? I've only seen them used twice (once when someone was really mad and another when someone was coming up with a villainous scheme [don't worry admins, it's in the Off-Topic, it's a collaborative story, and it's totally family.friendly :lol:]).
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't believe we can add emojis. And we try to limit the ones we use from outside, since we have visually impaired folks here who cannot see them. They don't translate over. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thanks, Tricia. That was just a thought. :)
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

You shouldn't need to add a picture to express a feeling, really <eyeroll> we have words for most of that, surround it by angle brackets or whatnot, and there you go <wink>
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I realize that, but it's always a little fun to have a visual picture :wink: Anyway, it was just a suggestion.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

JayKitty76 wrote: โ†‘February 14th, 2019, 3:50 pm I realize that, but it's always a little fun to have a visual picture :wink: Anyway, it was just a suggestion.
I prefer the small pictures (emoji's). That way I don't have to imagine them myself, and I won't have to use my brain :lol:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You'll just have to be creative with what's there - that will increase your brain size.
All jokes aside - I would like to feel that people using screen readers would be able to use our forums easily and not feel left out.

Anne
ej400

Post by ej400 »

annise wrote: โ†‘February 14th, 2019, 6:52 pm You'll just have to be creative with what's there - that will increase your brain size.
All jokes aside - I would like to feel that people using screen readers would be able to use our forums easily and not feel left out.

Anne
I guess I could include more people by also going like :D <smile> then, since I normally would just have the emoji there. Or even say something like "oh my goodness, I'm laughing so hard right now", or explain that "I'm sorry about that" rather than choose to click the cry emoji.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

True.
I definitely want our visually impaired volunteers to feel entirely included, so I'll start using the brackets a little more instead of using so many emojis <smile>

Best,
JayKitty
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

JayKitty76 wrote: โ†‘February 15th, 2019, 12:09 pm True.
I definitely want our visually impaired volunteers to feel entirely included, so I'll start using the brackets a little more instead of using so many emojis <smile>

Best,
JayKitty
I wonder if the speech encoding software used to read back can already detect the text behind some of the emojis and read that.

Some of the emojis have this word encapsulated in colons(:):'shock :shock: ' 'oops' 'idea' 'wink' 'twisted' 'evil' 'cry' 'mrgreen' 'help' 'clap' 'birthday' 'thumbs'...

I wonder if a long dictionary of keywords could invoke a huge library of emojis and animated gifs, and still be easily translatable for text-to-speech software.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Maybe. That's an interesting thought. But I don't know if the encoding software has a long dictionary of words already installed, just waiting to be put into smilies...
In my opinion, I'm 99% sure it does not. But if it could be programmed...
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The forum software is