COMPLETE Primes - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

I haven't recieved the files yet from Xander...
What's this little box thingy for? Oh! [color=red]C[/color][color=orange]O[/color][color=yellow]L[/color][color=blue]O[/color][color=indigo]R[/color]
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

and I also don't have my primes recordings :(
What's this little box thingy for? Oh! [color=red]C[/color][color=orange]O[/color][color=yellow]L[/color][color=blue]O[/color][color=indigo]R[/color]
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Awwwwwwww, that's a horrible pity!!!!

Gee whiz. And bah. I'll PM Xander.
No wonder you want to start over.

I would love to focus a bit on completion of something before launching a revival of primes ... will PM and see what you think.
Anita
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

madman is almost done...
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Good news from Xander -- he has the files on a DVD ... which he must locate. I've suggested he upload them to the nickydonuts uploader when he does find them.

Yay -- they're not lost!
Anita
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

Awesome!!
Xander

Post by Xander »

This is the only thing I could find. It is the large MP3 of the 1st 1000 numbers. If I find and thing else I'll let y'all know!

http://upload.nickydonuts.com/uploads/200708/prime_1000_2.mp3
-Xander

"Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur."

www.zamws.com
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

Thanks Xander!!
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

Is there a way I can edit xander's post?
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

I've set everything up, so claim away. also, please, please, PLEASE use upload.nickydonuts.com to get me your files!!
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

ab2525 wrote:Is there a way I can edit xander's post?
Aw, no, sorry -- but you can send me anything you want in there and I can place it in. I know what -- I'll PM you the top post, and you change what you want, PM it back to me, and I'll place it in the top post. Sound good?

Can I ask -- Why are these numbers dished out in teaspoonfuls?

Why not put together enough numbers to make a 10-minute recording? At least?
Anita
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

They're in 100 number sections... How many do you think they should be? I don't want to go to big, because I see this as a good first project for new readers. (it was great for me to do Phi!! :D )
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

ab2525 wrote:They're in 100 number sections... How many do you think they should be? I don't want to go to big, because I see this as a good first project for new readers. (it was great for me to do Phi!! :D )
Yow! By jingo, you're right! This is a perfect first recording exercise.

Oh -- wait, actually there are 80 numbers in each screenful (8 columns of 10 numbers each)

Then I highly recommend that Primes be catalogued in short sets. As the numbers increase in length, the sets will grow longer and longer.
The first 1000 is a 43-minute file!
The second 1000 would not fit in a single file (because we try to keep them under 1 hour each, aiming rougly at 45 minutes tops, so they fit on most players). How about 400 numbers for the second set? or just see how many fit in about 45 minutes? (400 or 480 numbers)

We have the first set complete then, yes? Shall we catalogue that one and you start a new thread for the 2nd batch of numbers?

Prime 01 - 1 to 7919
That's the file Xander just sent.
It needs a proper introduction before it's catalogued, and if you like this naming system, the intro could be something like:
"Primes -- the first thousand. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit LibriVox.org. Primes 01 -- the first thousand prime numbers, beginning with 1." [continue with recording: "Read by..."]

Prime 02 - 7927 to 12401 (That's the first 500 numbers that you've just set up the magic box for.)

file naming might include the first number in the batch...
(I'm just making this up, of course, so jump in with a better idea!)

Xander's compilation file might be named:
prime_01_1.mp3 (starts with the first prime number, 1)

In which case, your compilation file for this next batch might be named:
prime_02_7927 (starts with the 1001th prime number, 7927)

Your thoughts?
Anita
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

Can we start a new thread using the same magic box?
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

Also, I was hoping to get at least a million done, so that's 1,000 diff projects in the catalog if we break them into 1,000 num section. Also (x2), 1-10 in the MB is the 2nd thousand, and 11-20 is the 3rd thousand...[/u]