Post by Carolin »

Thats great, thank you :D
Carolin
Theophania

Post by Theophania »

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you!

One little thing, how long is the recording (mm.ss)? Please remember to always post the duration of a recording when you post a link so that i can update the magic window :D
Carolin
Theophania

Post by Theophania »

Sorry--it's 8 minutes 59 seconds
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

PL Notes for Chapter 16:

You read wonderfully! Nice pacing and expression.

Three concerns:

1. Volume is quite low at 79.3 decibels. It needs to be between 86 and 92 decibels -- I usually aim for 89-90. I'm not sure if you can use the Amplify function to raise it that many decibels without a deterioration of quality. That's more of a question for the technical experts, which you can find in the "Need Help? Got Advice?" board if you are having problems with it.

If you haven't already, you should download the Checker program. It's invaluable in running your files through after you export to mp3 and before uploading, as it catches common problems with volume, file naming, etc. More info here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

2. I'm not sure if it's because of the low volume, but it seems pretty echo-ey, more so than the other two recordings you have done so far. That plus the volume makes me wonder if you didn't inadvertently record with a built-in microphone rather than your plug-in one. This can happen even when the correct one is plugged in, if the settings are not correct in Audacity (assuming you use Audacity). To be sure, check the Microphone pulldown menu (again, in Audacity) -- on mine (Windows laptop) the correct selection says "Microphone (USP PnP Audio Device)". The built-in microphone selection says "Microphone (Realtek High Definition)". Sometimes if I don't have the microphone plugged in when I open Audacity the selection defaults to the Realtek one, even if I plug the microphone in afterward. I have to quit Audacity and then reopen it to get it to "see" that the USB mike is there. More than once, I've done a whole recording and then realized it went through the wrong mike and had to redo.

3. At the end, you need to include "End of Chapter 16" before the end of book notice.

If you have to re-record, let me know and I'll relisten to the whole chapter rather than do spot PL check.

You are off to a good start though!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you colleen :thumbs:
Carolin
Theophania

Post by Theophania »

Hey--sorry about the low volume. I keep trying various options but they don't seem to be working. I can try to reread but I might be delayed--surprise work trip so I won't be back to my regular digs until late March. If someone else needs to read that chapter instead I will not be remotely offended, just let me know. Thanks!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hiya, no need to worry! increasing the volume is very easy, and most of our readers have to fiddle with the volume of each of their recordings.

i assume you use audacity, it has a whole bunch of tools you can use. check out our tutorials on amplification, the leveler, and on how to measure the volume in audacity (with replaygain) :)
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_Tutorials

let us know if you need any help!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

we have an orphan!
Carolin
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

I will take the orphan. :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin