[COMPLETE] Hurlbut's Life of Christ For Young and Old by Hurlbut - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

SlowCyclist1 wrote: February 11th, 2019, 10:11 am Great! Thank you for the suggestions and for being so welcoming. You all seem to have such a friendly community here. :) I will get started on Chapter 42. You can use Nancy Beth Leary as my name for the catalogue. I think this is going to be fun!
Nancy
Fantastic!
I've put you in for Chapter 42.
Just click on you name in the Magic Window to see your personal catalog page.
This is where you, and others, can see your LV projects.

Yes, this is an on-line community like no other!
I hope you will find this as fulfilling and rewarding as I have.
Just give a shout whenever you have a question or need help with anything.
~ Larry
SlowCyclist1

Post by SlowCyclist1 »

Terrific! Thanks so much!
SlowCyclist1

Post by SlowCyclist1 »

Here is Chapter 42. I recorded it with Audacity and used "Checker" to check the dB level, then used "Amplify" in Audacity to raise it to 88.4 dB. I hear some annoying noises in it but I didn't want to make other fixes until I got feedback from you, as I haven't yet learned to use the other "fix it" tools on Audacity. Please critique it in any way. I will be happy to re-record it if necessary. I am new and want to learn to do a good job!

Also, I notice that the file name ends in mp3 twice...so does that mean I don't need to type mp3 at the end of the file name when naming the file?

The length is 05:06
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/lifeofchrist_042_hurlbut_128kb.mp3.mp3

Thanks!!!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

SlowCyclist1 wrote: February 11th, 2019, 4:57 pm Here is Chapter 42. I recorded it with Audacity and used "Checker" to check the dB level, then used "Amplify" in Audacity to raise it to 88.4 dB. I hear some annoying noises in it but I didn't want to make other fixes until I got feedback from you, as I haven't yet learned to use the other "fix it" tools on Audacity. Please critique it in any way. I will be happy to re-record it if necessary. I am new and want to learn to do a good job!

Also, I notice that the file name ends in mp3 twice...so does that mean I don't need to type mp3 at the end of the file name when naming the file?

The length is 05:06
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/lifeofchrist_042_hurlbut_128kb.mp3.mp3

Thanks!!!
Very good, Nancy!
The volume is fine. The only change you might need to make is to clip the closing silence from 7 seconds to just 5. Your reading that I sampled is excellent, and I didn't hear any background noise.

Our DPL will be along to give you the official report.

When you export a file in Audacity as an .mp3, that is automatically appended to the file name, so you don't have to add it again.

Feel free to choose some more sections to read! :)
~ Larry
SlowCyclist1

Post by SlowCyclist1 »

Thank you for your feedback and encouragement. Will the DPL post her comments in this forum topic? Is it OK to record another chapter before I hear from her on Chapter 42? If it is, may I claim Chapter 84?
Thank you for your help!
RACHELSUSANNA

Post by RACHELSUSANNA »

Can I please do section 2 and 3?

My display name can be Rachel Susanna Homm
Below is sec 2.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/lifeofchrist_002_hurlbut_128kb.mp3
Last edited by RACHELSUSANNA on February 13th, 2019, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 42 is Pl OK. Thank you for this and your interest in doing more, Nancy Beth. This is a lovely reading. Yes, I'm sure you could have asked for more sections and even uploaded one or some before hearing from me. I'm sure Larry will put you in the MW for section 84 soon.
Pattymarie
RACHELSUSANNA

Post by RACHELSUSANNA »

I am not sure if I have added the URL correctly?
And I forgot to add that the recording is 9:49
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

SlowCyclist1 wrote: February 13th, 2019, 1:43 pm Thank you for your feedback and encouragement. Will the DPL post her comments in this forum topic? Is it OK to record another chapter before I hear from her on Chapter 42? If it is, may I claim Chapter 84?
Thank you for your help!
Oh, sure, that's fine.
Congratulations on a chapter well read.
Chapter 84 is yours.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

RACHELSUSANNA wrote: February 13th, 2019, 1:58 pm Can I please do section 2 and 3?

My display name can be Rachel Susanna Homm
Below is sec 2.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/lifeofchrist_002_hurlbut_128kb.mp3
Hi, Rachel!

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, we need to back up before surging ahead.

First, all new readers are requested to complete a one-minute test recording. This is primarily to make sure the correct specifications are in place. In my comments below, you will see why this first step is a good idea, so we don'e have to deal with those problems here.

Second, a reader should always wait until a claim is acknowledged and assigned before recording and uploading it. There are a lot of good reasons for this, and it is a good practice.

I did check the tech specifications on this and there are multiple issues.

1. We require a constant bit rate of 128kbs and your recording is with a variable bit rate
2. The LV target volume is 89dB with a range of 86-92 dB. Yours comes in at only 82.3 dB, much too low.
3. There should be 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording and you have about one second.

If you are using Audacity, all of these are easily corrected.
I would suggest reading our Newbie Guide to Recording. There is a lot of useful information in it, including how to submit your one-min test, that will help get you off to a good start. You will find a link to it in Point 2 of the initial post of this project thread.

In the meantime, I'll add you to the catalog and assign this section to you.

Please let me know if you have any questions about any of this, and don't be intimidated by the tech stuff. Once you have it down, it will be second nature and you can concentrate on what you love -- reading! :)
~ Larry
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Hi! I had asked a little while back about sections 11 and 12. Are those still available? Thanks so much!!

Elisabeth
SlowCyclist1

Post by SlowCyclist1 »

Thank you, pattymarie and silverquill. I will begin working on Chapter 84 :D

Nancy
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Jbholland77 wrote: February 9th, 2019, 11:37 am I would like to claim sections 11 & 12 please. :D

Thanks, Elisabeth
oops, sorry I missed these. :oops:

You're all set to record these.
Thanks so much.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

GregGiordano wrote: February 9th, 2019, 4:31 pm May I please add Section 68 to my TO DO list?

Thanks!

Greg
And, I think I missed this one, Greg.
You're good to go. :thumbs: :thumbs:
~ Larry
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

silverquill wrote: February 14th, 2019, 10:33 pm
GregGiordano wrote: February 9th, 2019, 4:31 pm May I please add Section 68 to my TO DO list?

Thanks!

Greg
And, I think I missed this one, Greg.
You're good to go. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Thanks, Larry!

Greg