[COMPLETE] The New Republic by William H Mallock - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

It sounds great! I have marked the section as PL OK. So now, I guess it's over to Ann. I really enjoyed working with you on this project! I'd be happy to collaborate with you any time, so please feel free to message me for any reason! Thanks again,

Jeff B.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thanks so much Jeff! Your help was amazing, I really appreciate all the effort you put into helping me navigate the mysteries of English pronunciation! It didn't just make the recordings of this book better, but also future ones.

Many, many thanks!
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Foon, are you happy with your summary? It says at the bottom that it will be updated later, so I thought I would check before I start cataloging.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Foon

Post by Foon »

A group of upper class men and women gather together in an English country house to discuss their ideas for a utopia (their "New Republic"). The novel is a satire mocking most of the important figures at Oxford University at the time of publication, with regards to aestheticism and Hellenism. Some of the famous characters that are depicted are Violet Fane/Lady Mary Montgomery Currie (Mrs. Sinclair), Thomas Huxley (Mr. Storks), William Money Hardinge (Mr. Leslie), Thomas Carlyle (Donald Gordon), and Walter Pater (Mr. Rose). The latter is of particular interest, as his characterisation in this novel helped ruin his reputation as well as his career at Oxford University.
The book became a best seller in its time and retains much of its humour and satirical bite today. As author David Daiches wrote in 1951, "If we can read through The New Republic without at one point or another being made to feel a little foolish, we are wise indeed.

Thanks for the reminder! Could you use the above as the summary instead? :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Of course! Thanks Foon! Off we go to the catalog!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-new-republic-or-culture-faith-and-philosophy-in-an-english-country-house-by-william-hurrell-mallock/

Great job, Foon and Jeff! :clap: :clap:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!