COMPLETE[Children] The Cowardly Lion of Oz - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
loon

Post by loon »

Chapter 5 - Two Cowardly Lion Hunters - is PL OK as well.

The hum I mentioned for chapter 3 is the same through your 3 chapters. Hum like this us usually due to your AC power, i.e. 60 Hz for North America or 50 Hz for most of the rest of the world. Yours is at 56 Hz, so it's due to some unknown source. As I mentioned before the hum is not an annoyance in the headphones, so all's right in the world (or in OZ).

I'm loving the woodcut illustrations in this Gutenberg ebook.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Wow everyone has been busy! All claims accepted, MW currently being updated...
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

Here are my first chapters!

Chapter 6 https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cowardlylionofoz_06_thompson_128kb.mp3 Duration - 16:06
Chapter 7 https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cowardlylionofoz_07_thompson_128kb.mp3 Duration - 18:28
Chapter 8 https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cowardlylionofoz_08_thompson_128kb.mp3 Duration - 12:55

This is one of the most fun I've read yet!

Can I claim the last three? 13, 14, 17

Thanks!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Great! Those files are in the MW and with the last three chapters claimed we are FULL!
loon

Post by loon »

Aaron -

Chapters 6, 7, 8 are all PL OK - that makes this book over 1/3 finished. Huzzah!

I do have a technical suggestion for your future chapters: I'm hearing the distortion characteristic of clipping in the louder bits of your recording (for example, Queen A-door-a in chapter 6, who likes to shout a lot). If your initial recording is too loud it's possible to reduce the level during your editing process but the distortion is permanently in there. If you zoom way, way in on a loud syllable you'll be able to see the tops and bottoms of the wave are flattened.

To prevent this in future recordings, I suggest lowering your record level as you do your reading. If the chapter is turning out too quiet while you're editing you can use the Audacity "Amplify..." or "Compressor..." effect to bring the level up as needed.
aaronwhite1977

Post by aaronwhite1977 »

Thanks. I did realize that as I was editing, previously, my recordings were too soft, so I had turned up the mic, which was clearly a mistake on this book. But, I had recorded all three together. It will be remedied for the next though. Better too soft and amplify than too loud and distorted.

Thanks for your feedback!
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Chapter 19
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cowardlylionofoz_19_thompson_128kb.mp3
13:35

Here goes...I'm still quite new at this...fingers crossed :wink:
loon

Post by loon »

I’ll listen to your chapter later tonight, I hope. (I have just arrived at work for the day...)
loon

Post by loon »

Sigh - a hardware failure at home - no network to my main computer - I’ll try for a workaround tomorrow.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks everyone - one more chapter recorded and we will be half way through!
loon

Post by loon »

Jbholland77 wrote: February 13th, 2019, 11:26 am Chapter 19
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cowardlylionofoz_19_thompson_128kb.mp3
13:35

Here goes...I'm still quite new at this...fingers crossed :wink:
I found two small things. I think they should be fixed, but I'll let Elizabby decide if they're OK or not.

1) You end the introduction with "Cowardly Lion of Oz, by Ruth Plumly Thompson. Chapter 19." I would have liked to have heard you read the chapter title as well: "Cowardly Lion of Oz, by Ruth Plumly Thompson. Chapter 19 - In the Emerald City." That's part of the text of the book.

2) At the very end you left 4.2 seconds of silence - 5 seconds is ...ahem... 'recommended'. Elizabby, how strictly is this standard applied these days?

Oh, and you reported the chapter length at 13:35, but I see only 13:31. Did the whole file get uploaded?

Your tech specs are all great. In particular the 'Checker' program reports your chapter volume is exactly in the middle of the acceptable range. There's no noticeable hum. I only heard one spot where a 'puh' sound made your microphone pop (and that one wasn't that much).

I did see several spots where your recording reached clipping. I zoomed in on those to see if the waveform was horribly distorted - it was not, so you're OK. If you're using Audacity and want to keep an eye out for clipping click on 'View'-'Show Clipping' so it's checked. Then anytime the waveform reaches plus or minus 100% will be marked in bright red.
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Thanks Rich! I guess I'll wait and let Elizabby tell me if she wants me to change those two things, but I certainly don't mind going in and fixing them. Thanks so much for the info on the clipping. I'll be sure to check for that next time. Everyone here has been so helpful and is making this such a smooth learning process!
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

The Chapter 20, Chapter 21 heading has been fixed at Project Gutenberg.

Greg
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yes please, the chapter title is important. The end silence may as well be fixed if you're handling the file anyway - though if that were the only thing I'd let it go.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

gweeks wrote: February 14th, 2019, 1:34 pm The Chapter 20, Chapter 21 heading has been fixed at Project Gutenberg.

Greg
Thanks Greg! I wasn't sure how to report this! But I've joined PGDP, and have been watching the progress of Doctor Dolittles Post Office with interest! Unfortunately it is too far along in the process for me to be able to actually proof any of it, given my newbie status there.