Chronicles of Narnia

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Elizabby wrote:
jessieyun0404 wrote:
Beth, I'm interested, and I'd like to be handle this out.
You can have my word counts if you want them, but I suggest you have a read of the book first yourself and see if you can manage it. If you still want it after you've read the first couple of chapters, launch the project (18 sections) and PM me and I'll post the chapter word counts in the thread for you.
Got it. I'll check it out.
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I LOVE Narnia! My favorite is probably The Last Battle. I've seen a couple of the older BBC movies (Silver Chair and Dawn Treader) and the newer Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I've also seen Prince Caspian on a Spanish TV channel :wink:

I prefer the books to the movies- C.S. Lewis is such a great writer!!
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

I think "The Horse and His Boy" is my favorite. Strangely enough, "The Silver Chair" was my favorite when I was a kid. I think it was because I had a crush on Prince Rillian in the old BBC version. Ha!
I really enjoy the dramatized versions (Focus on the Family Radio Theatre) as well. A few of the early ones were not well cast but some of the other titles were amazing! Esp. Magician's Nephew, Horse and His Boy, and Last Battle. Paul Scofield was so great as the narrator. One of my favorite voices and definitely an inspiration! And David Suchet as Aslan, for Poirot fans. :D
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Lest anyone think that laconic Australian truck-drivers lack a sensitive side, I read these books as a ten-year-old in 1975.

Many years later, when I used to drop off our daughter and son at their primary schools in the morning, we always made a point to get there half-an-hour early, so I could read to them before it was time to go in to class.

We went through so many books, but the Narnia series was definitely one of the highlights. By the time we had completed β€œThe Silver Chair”, they were so into the series, that they couldn’t wait to hear it in the before school half-hour segments. They borrowed the books from the primary school library, and read through the rest of the series themselves in a few days.

C.S. Lewis definitely had a way of clarifying things for β€œbears of very little brain” such as I.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Oh my gosh these books were interesting for me. At first I absolutely despised them. My mom tried to read them to me at first, and I made her stop. Then, a few years later, I came back to reread them. I loved them! Although I did tend to enjoy the first few better than the last.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: ↑February 12th, 2019, 2:29 am Many years later, when I used to drop off our daughter and son at their primary schools in the morning, we always made a point to get there half-an-hour early, so I could read to them before it was time to go in to class.

Chris
That is so great!
classicsforever

Post by classicsforever »

thestorygirl wrote: ↑February 11th, 2019, 7:17 pm I really enjoy the dramatized versions (Focus on the Family Radio Theatre) as well. A few of the early ones were not well cast but some of the other titles were amazing! Esp. Magician's Nephew, Horse and His Boy, and Last Battle. Paul Scofield was so great as the narrator. One of my favorite voices and definitely an inspiration! And David Suchet as Aslan, for Poirot fans. :D
The Radio Theatre cast is like the Pauline Baynes illustrations for me...I can't think of Narnia without them. :)

It's been too long since I properly reread the series, which I keep meaning to do. My favorites as a child were The Magician's Nephew, The Silver Chair, and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader as a close third.
Margaret
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

classicsforever wrote: ↑February 15th, 2019, 10:35 pm My favorites as a child were The Magician's Nephew, The Silver Chair, and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader as a close third.
I see you are relatively new here! Welcome!

What spoke to you in The Magician's Nephew?

I was thinking about the Horse and His Boy. I don't think it became a favorite until I listened to the audio drama above mentioned. I love the exotic feel to it, but also I love how the character of Aslan is revealed to Shasta.
classicsforever

Post by classicsforever »

thestorygirl wrote: ↑February 16th, 2019, 11:03 am
classicsforever wrote: ↑February 15th, 2019, 10:35 pm My favorites as a child were The Magician's Nephew, The Silver Chair, and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader as a close third.
I see you are relatively new here! Welcome!
Thank you! I'm really enjoying the forum, everyone is so friendly!
What spoke to you in The Magician's Nephew?
Aaahhh where do I begin.... :) It was the first Narnia story I experienced, so nostalgia is part of it. More than that, I love the characters, conflict, and setting. There's the contrast between the two antagonists - Jadis, majestic and terrifying, and Uncle Andrew, pitiful and funny. Polly and Digory have their own disagreement, which creates an interesting plot twist, and later Digory is (again) confronted with a big moral dilemma with the silver apple. It's also fun to see them go back-and-forth between the different worlds. Somehow Lewis manages to pull that off with a comical tone that doesn't detract from the sense of urgency.
Margaret
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

classicsforever wrote: ↑February 16th, 2019, 9:05 pm Jadis, majestic and terrifying
Ah yes I loved that one too. Jadis is one of my favorites. A very well written character.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Kristingj wrote: ↑April 29th, 2015, 7:59 am Ohhh... I think it's hard to pick, but I would have to say The Horse and his Boy. What's yours?
I looooved The Horse and His Boy. I've always thought of that one as probably being my favorite.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Twinkle88 wrote: ↑February 22nd, 2019, 6:38 pm
Kristingj wrote: ↑April 29th, 2015, 7:59 am Ohhh... I think it's hard to pick, but I would have to say The Horse and his Boy. What's yours?
I looooved The Horse and His Boy. I've always thought of that one as probably being my favorite.
Yes, that one probably comes in a very close second for me. But I loved The Last Battle so much- everything is healed that was broken, and everything that was lost is found in Aslan. I loved that one! And The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe also was second for me. L,W&W and Horse and His Boy were tied for second, for me.
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

It's been a long time, but I'm sure I loved The Last Battle, too. :clap: (However, that ape REALLY got on my nerves... :? :lol: )
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Twinkle88 wrote: ↑February 24th, 2019, 5:09 pm It's been a long time, but I'm sure I loved The Last Battle, too. :clap: (However, that ape REALLY got on my nerves... :? :lol: )
Isn't that funny? The Last Battle is probably my least favourite of all of the Narnia books. I felt it was certainly the weakest in terms of character development. Tirian isn't nearly as well developed as say, Shasta! And Jewel the unicorn doesn't do anything worth mentioning.

I strongly disliked the ending of the children all being killed in a railway accident. Part of the point of Narnia was that they should get to know Aslan there in order to know more about Christ here. So this should be the beginning of their missionary life, a commissioning if you like. But no, they are all killed and go to heaven! I was disappointed.

I was also deeply discouraged by Lewis's depiction of the dwarves who "wouldn't be taken in" - I know so many people like that!

I was very excited to hear that the rights for Silver Chair have been bought by someone else to make a new movie! Silver Chair is my favourite - though it is quite dark. I was really upset with the treatment of Dawn Treader in the current movie series - not at all true to the book - and I think they wrote themselves into a corner with it too. So I'm glad someone else is going to make Silver Chair!
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Chronicles of Narnia. My most favorite book of all time. I have been listening to the "Focus on the Family Radio Theater" Audio dramas of the Chronicles of Narnia for over 7 years. Such a memory.

ETA : Ohhhh wait. I said this almost 4 years ago.
Twinkle88 wrote: ↑February 24th, 2019, 5:09 pm to hear that the rights for Silver Chair have been bought by someone else to make a new movie! Silver Chair is my favourite - though it is quite dark. I was really upset with the treatment of Dawn Treader in the current movie series - not at all true to the book - and I think they wrote themselves into a corner with it too. So I'm glad someone else is going to make Silver Chair!
That's Netflix, and I honestly don't trust them much -- I saw some of the reboots from the best old classics of TV shows, and many people said it sucked (I honestly somehow think so too). I also don't like Netflix gobbling over all of these kind of things and trying to destroy everything (it's like Disney);;;

But we should wait and see.
Wait and see how they will handle this tough project.
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.