[COMPLETE]The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Lmnei
Posts: 2875
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » February 11th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Lomond -

Do you need some help PL'ing? I cannot do my own readings but I could help with others... I have the time as I have strained my voice so recording is not in the cards for me right now.

Lynda

lomond
Posts: 1405
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 6:22 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, area

Post by lomond » February 11th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Lynda,

That's a good idea. Thanks for the offer. Every once in a while, life decides that it needs more of my time for a spasm. You'd think being retired that that would not happen, but...surprise!

Just post your notes and I will take care of the MW.

Thanks again! :thumbs:

Lomond

Lmnei
Posts: 2875
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » February 11th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Okay - I will start from the bottom up saying you said you are doing it chrono and you should run into mine next :)

Lynda

JayKitty76
Posts: 1438
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away...
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » February 11th, 2019, 3:46 pm

lomond wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 12:54 pm
Greetings -

A couple of chapters to report on.

Chapter 19 is ready to go and listed as PL OK.

Chapter 30 has three things that need attention:

01:48 Text has "Jim said it was so; and the king told" Reading has "wasn't" instead of "was"
06:48 Text has "like a baby--it's fitten for you, after the way" Reading has "fifteen" instead of "fitten"
08:23 Text has "the duke tackled HIS bottle; and so in" Reading has "tickled" instead of "tackled"

I also noticed a few background noises but nothing to need re-recording.

More to come.

Lomond
Thanks, Lomond!

JayKitty76
Posts: 1438
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away...
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » February 11th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Lmnei wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 2:51 pm
Lomond -

Do you need some help PL'ing? I cannot do my own readings but I could help with others... I have the time as I have strained my voice so recording is not in the cards for me right now.

Lynda
Lmnei wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 3:36 pm
Okay - I will start from the bottom up saying you said you are doing it chrono and you should run into mine next :)

Lynda
lomond wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 3:23 pm
Lynda,

That's a good idea. Thanks for the offer. Every once in a while, life decides that it needs more of my time for a spasm. You'd think being retired that that would not happen, but...surprise!

Just post your notes and I will take care of the MW.

Thanks again! :thumbs:

Lomond
Thanks, guys! Lynda, would you still like your sections? I can always add extensions if needed, but I don't want you to strain your voice reading. It's really great of you to offer to help - Thank you!
Last edited by JayKitty76 on February 11th, 2019, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayKitty76
Posts: 1438
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away...
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » February 11th, 2019, 3:54 pm

PeteM wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 2:06 pm
Chapter 38 redux - RT 13:40

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/huckfinn_38_twain_128kb.mp3
Thanks, Pete. I'll put this into the MW...

Lmnei
Posts: 2875
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » February 11th, 2019, 4:00 pm

JayKitty -

I think all my sections are recorded already... :clap:

Is the MW up to date? I just listened to Section 38 as it said that it was ready for PL - but you just said you were going to update it? A little hard to step in and know what to listen to if the MW is not up to date... :)

Lynda

ej400
Posts: 2312
Joined: September 24th, 2014, 10:26 am
Location: Minnesota

Post by ej400 » February 11th, 2019, 4:01 pm

lomond wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 12:56 pm
Greetings -
Chapter 30 has three things that need attention:

01:48 Text has "Jim said it was so; and the king told" Reading has "wasn't" instead of "was"
06:48 Text has "like a baby--it's fitten for you, after the way" Reading has "fifteen" instead of "fitten"
08:23 Text has "the duke tackled HIS bottle; and so in" Reading has "tickled" instead of "tackled"

I also noticed a few background noises but nothing to need re-recording.

More to come.

Lomond
Thanks! :D
lomond wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 12:54 pm
Greetings -

I haven't PLed it yet, but Chapter 38 is giving me an audio level warning via Checker.

Lomond
I'm just curious, was it the volume or something else? I know it's not my section, but I've never heard of an audio level warning.. I don't know what that is.

Thank you
Elijah

JayKitty76
Posts: 1438
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away...
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » February 11th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Lmnei wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 4:00 pm
JayKitty -

I think all my sections are recorded already... :clap:

Is the MW up to date? I just listened to Section 38 as it said that it was ready for PL - but you just said you were going to update it? A little hard to step in and know what to listen to if the MW is not up to date... :)

Lynda
Oops! I went in there to change the time if needed. Sorry about that- for the benefit of everyone, I'll post an update once I go in and make changes. Sorry about that! It was ready for PL (But the volume was too loud, making it ready for Spot PL even though Lomond hadn't listened to it yet.) So just update it, please, with its new status :wink: And post any PL notes here :thumbs:

Lmnei
Posts: 2875
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » February 11th, 2019, 4:21 pm

PL Notes:

Chapter 38
6 :39 – heard “took the pick to it” text says “took the pick”
This was one of several times there were extra words read into the recording which were not in the text. It is easy to do with this older English - just watch when doing your own Proof Listening.
Volume above range – needs to be reduced.

Chapter 39
Watch volume – we aim for 89dB and both your recordings have been on the high side – this one is fine though at 91dB
2:56 – heard “seen such a woman”, text says “see such a woman”
4:25 – heard “scarcely” text says “skasely”
6:10 – heard “warnings to other people” text says “warnings to the people”

Lynda

JayKitty76
Posts: 1438
Joined: August 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away...
Contact:

Post by JayKitty76 » February 11th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Lmnei wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 4:21 pm
PL Notes:

Chapter 38
6 :39 – heard “took the pick to it” text says “took the pick”
This was one of several times there were extra words read into the recording which were not in the text. It is easy to do with this older English - just watch when doing your own Proof Listening.
Volume above range – needs to be reduced.

Chapter 39
Watch volume – we aim for 89dB and both your recordings have been on the high side – this one is fine though at 91dB
2:56 – heard “seen such a woman”, text says “see such a woman”
4:25 – heard “scarcely” text says “skasely”
6:10 – heard “warnings to other people” text says “warnings to the people”

Lynda
Thanks, Lynda. This is a regular project, not word perfect, so in the future I'd say a few of these (like 'seen such a woman ', etc) are passing. We do like to keep it somewhat true to the text and colloquial talk, but just a note in the future- a couple of these might be passing :wink:
Thanks so much for volunteering to help PL, it helps us all out so much :D

Lmnei
Posts: 2875
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » February 11th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Hey Jay Kitty

I kept the PL down to the ones that affected the story in my opinion. I know the difference between a word perfect and standard PL. I have been doing this a bit longer than you have :) I actually passed on quite a few extra words as I mentioned and only listed what I felt was critical to the story line or how it sounds when it is read.

I have just finished PL'ing Section 26 which took me over an hour for a 20 minute recording and starting 29. That will be where I stop as the rest of the recordings I believe are mine :)

Lynda

ej400
Posts: 2312
Joined: September 24th, 2014, 10:26 am
Location: Minnesota

Post by ej400 » February 11th, 2019, 5:42 pm

I get what your both saying, sometimes the text seems close enough to let it go through, and sometimes it seems like it's just off a little too much. It's hard to find an even way to do it, of what goes through and what doesn't. It depends on the DPL, for example "text says 'then randomly collected his thoughts' but heard 'then randomly collected their thoughts' " would depend. I usually think about the pros and cons or even ask myself "Would it confuse the listener?"

Thanks
Elijah

Lmnei
Posts: 2875
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » February 11th, 2019, 5:52 pm

Here is the PL of Section 26 and 29.

Chapter 26
2:46 – heard “how do you get biscuits (unknown words) to brown so nice?”, text says “how do you get biscuits to brown so nice?”
In the 3rd paragraphs onwards you can hear noise in the background such as a TV and near the end of the recording kitchen noises – you need to watch background noises when you are recording…
5:16 – heard “how does he get IN it”, text says “how does he get it” makes a difference to the story
5:19 – heard “gets IN it…”, text says “gets it…” makes a difference to the story
7:19 – missing “much” after “Oh, nothing” Optional
8:44 – heard “time”, text says “minute” makes a difference to the story
13:53 – stumble – please re-record the sentence starting with “I better hive….” as not able to recognize the words
15:10 – stumble – please re-record the sentence “then I was glad…” as not able to recognize the words
15:36 – stumble and incorrect text – re-record from “Well this is it…. to …comfortable.” as not able to recognize the words
16:05 – heard “hands” text says “heads” makes a difference to the story
17:10 – stumble – please re-record the sentence starting with “as soon… to .. which won’t be long” as not able to recognize the words
19:13 – stumble – "mighty stilln un"
19:43 – stumble – "it in"
20:04 – missing “of”, text says “I had it out OF there” Of is critical to the story
20:08 – pronunciation – heard "grop ed" should be grOAped (spelled groped) means finding ones way using their hands – listen in google to the pronunciation if unsure.
20:19 – extra word “my”

Chapter 29
3:35 – recording jumps down to 2nd section of text
4:23 – extra word – new
4:37 – repeat – the next
7:40 – noise in the recording – like things being moved on a desk.
7:45 – recording jumps up to 5th paragraph in 1st section of the text.
End of PL – need to have the recording fixed as it is too hard to PL with all the jumping around. You might have sent in the incorrect file for PL as this should not have passed your own PL?

Lynda


Post Reply