COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 011-thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: February 8th, 2019, 7:14 pmVampire Cat is ready for final PL.
the Vampire Cat is totally PL ok. Somehow we all managed to give it the creepy feeling that the play wanted to convey. To only short comic relief is the vying for speech rights that Buzen and Ruiten were struggling with :lol: Excellent job, all of you, excellent assembling, Todd.

That leaves one final play !!! This is quite a diverse collection. :9:

Sonia
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

OK, so here's the deal...

I sat down to record my part for this. And my microphone wasn't working. I soon realized that the mike mixer was dead. So I ordered a new one ($91) from Amazon (same model as I had). It comes two days later. I tried it out --- as an experiment, I try the old mixer using the power supply from the new one --- it works. I record my pieces for "Every Man in His Humour". I order a cheap power supply ($8) from Amazon, and after receiving that, return the new mixer (small restocking fee, but they take it back, no problem). I then go to record Cutaway, and again the mike is now working. If a wiggle the cable, I can record some noise, but nothing from the mike itself. I realize that mixer -- using the cheap generic power supply --- is not providing the "phantom power" the mike need. I order a "1-Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply with Adapter" from Amazon ($16). It arrives on Friday...

And now, finally, Mr. Cutaway...

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/adaywellspent_cutaway_oxenford.mp3
Truth,
James
---------------------
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

Also, I guess it a bit later now that Availle has already recorded the Narrator, but finally wrote to my friend who work at the theater company which just stage "Charlie's Aunt" and ask him about the stage directions. He response:
As for your Stage Direction question, I personally was stumped. The AD for that show isn't here at the theatre, but I mentioned it to our Education and Casting Associate (Rebecca Feely) and she seems to think they are references to set pieces that would have been laid out in a key at the end of the play (similar to how today's scripts have a ground plan and a prop list). So, "A." might have meant "Sofa", so instead of "H walks around the Sofa" the stage direction becomes "H walks around A". So, without a key, you may never really know what some of those things mean.
Truth,
James
---------------------
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

ZamesCurran wrote: February 10th, 2019, 9:55 pm Also, I guess it a bit later now that Availle has already recorded the Narrator, but finally wrote to my friend who work at the theater company which just stage "Charlie's Aunt" and ask him about the stage directions. He response:
As for your Stage Direction question, I personally was stumped. The AD for that show isn't here at the theatre, but I mentioned it to our Education and Casting Associate (Rebecca Feely) and she seems to think they are references to set pieces that would have been laid out in a key at the end of the play (similar to how today's scripts have a ground plan and a prop list). So, "A." might have meant "Sofa", so instead of "H walks around the Sofa" the stage direction becomes "H walks around A". So, without a key, you may never really know what some of those things mean.
:shock: That's very interesting!
Thanks for sharing this piece of info. Good to know that there was no need to overthink this. :D

Edit: If you're editing this play, you don't really need to send in your own role. Just send in the whole piece - it will be easy to re-do any missing lines. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

Availle wrote: February 10th, 2019, 11:24 pm Edit: If you're editing this play, you don't really need to send in your own role. Just send in the whole piece - it will be easy to re-do any missing lines. :wink:

Well, I figured someone else should PL it.
Truth,
James
---------------------
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ZamesCurran wrote: February 11th, 2019, 4:16 amWell, I figured someone else should PL it.
I can PL it all when it is fully assembled. Since you are the last role coming in AND the editor, I figure there's not need to do double-work in this case. Most often the editors wait for all the roles to come in, then upload their part in the finished file already.

Sonia
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

Kitty wrote: February 11th, 2019, 4:31 am Since you are the last role coming in AND the editor, I figure there's not need to do double-work in this case. Most often the editors wait for all the roles to come in, then upload their part in the finished file already.
OK. I'm in the midst of editing it now.
Truth,
James
---------------------
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ZamesCurran wrote: February 11th, 2019, 1:03 pmOK. I'm in the midst of editing it now.
wonderful news. That means we might even make it in time for the one-year-birthday of this project. :D I'll PL it as soon as it's up.

Thanks, James

Sonia
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

Kitty wrote: February 11th, 2019, 1:56 pm
ZamesCurran wrote: February 11th, 2019, 1:03 pmOK. I'm in the midst of editing it now.
wonderful news. That means we might even make it in time for the one-year-birthday of this project. :D I'll PL it as soon as it's up.
Hmmm.. That gives me to the end of the day.... Don't think I'm going to make that, but soon after... Fortunately, unlike recording parts, editing is something I can do on a laptop on the train to work.
Truth,
James
---------------------
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

And, finally, A Day Well Spent (which also describes my day editing it....)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays011_adaywellspent_oxenford_128kb.mp3 (55:06)

(If I ever try BCing something again, I think I'll do something shorter with fewer roles....)
Truth,
James
---------------------
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Next collection is open if you want to try something shorter now.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay, I will have a listen now, so this can get archived. Stay tuned for any corrections I may have

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok James, this was quite some hard work for me too....the end result still needs some editing. Took me quite a while to write it all up. :?

The play itself sounds wonderful though, and all parts are excellentily acted out, and special kudos for Devorah and Tomas who are an excellent pair of rogues :lol:

Ok, here is what I found that can/needs to be edited:

> at 1:14: Miss Harriet Cotton (an adventurous lady) - you forgot "an adventurous lady". Maybe Foon could still record it quickly, if not, it's probably optional, but it does sound funny to have all those characterizations in a row

> at 1:28: Mrs. Chargely (a beneficent lady) - also here, missing the description, maybe we can contact both readers to hand in the missing lines (unless they had them and you only forgot to paste them in)

> at 2:34-2:37: before "Enter Cutaway" - the pause is a bit too long for comfort. I think under 2 seconds is fully enough, it feels very long for a listener to wait that long between scenes

> at 8:53-8:56: before scene 2 - same here: pause can be cut shorter

> at 12:12-12:15: before scene 3 - also here long pause

> at 13:42: "Ha! ha! Bobby, the lady and I understand each other now, don’t we? (Nudges him.)" - "nudges him" is missing and the break is too long

> at 19:12-19:15: before scene 4 - long pause

> at 19:41: "Hymen has extinguished his link for the day" - you say "luck" but with "link" it would make pun with the second part of the sentence, being still "unlinked"

> at 21:13-21:15: before "Miss Brown aside" - long pause can be shortened

> at 37:37: BOLT, MIZZLE, and CUTAWAY. (Together.) - this intro should be cut out, as you merged the voices anyway

> at 40:52-40:54: before scene 7: long pause

> at 42:45: before "descend dearest" - actually here you could leave a bit more breathing space, so it doesn't go as fast

> at 45:16: "No!—and master would. A pretty figure we should have cut" - here is a jump in the audio and "a pretty" is missing. I'm sure Devorah said it, so the audio was clipped somehow

> at 45:36-45:42: some lines are jumbled here, you need to make some cuttings and rearranging like this:
Bobby, did I give you the key?
No! (feeling.) No—I have not got it!
The deuce! then we have—
> at 53:34-53:36: another jumble here in the middle of the sentence: "There is one thing I have not confess’d" - somehow Miss Brown's line "How !" got in there :hmm:

> at 54:20-54:39: and another jumble which needs to be cut out. I wonder what happened in the end that these jumblings occured. I'm surprised you didn't notice it at a second listen: "Then, papa, there will be three weddings." is cut by "Come, this troublesome day’s work is well over" which comes later. Tomas' line is missing altogether.
These should be the lines in order:
Then, papa, there will be three weddings.
Yes, we can give away one another.
While Mr. Addison is content with merely being a spectator.
> at 55:13: the end disclaimer is totally missing and don't forget the 5 seconds at the end ;)

Still some work to do, I'm afraid. But we're very close to finishing now.

Sonia
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

The character descriptions and "nudges him" were missing from the audio files.

The jumbles are a bit weird. When I went through it, I found (and fixed) two of them, though I have no idea how they happened. I'm beginning to feel I can't trust my audio editor to correctly save files.

And the missing disclaimer is another mystery, since I started with the narrator file, and edited the other speakers into it, so it would have to be there.

I'll get to these tonight.
Truth,
James
---------------------
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ZamesCurran wrote: February 19th, 2019, 10:05 amThe character descriptions and "nudges him" were missing from the audio files.
yes maybe the descriptions are not that important, but I'll write to the three readers concerned and ask them. Maybe we'll get them in quickly, just on a hunch. If not, it's probably good as it is

Gonna PM the three readers now, or did you do it already ?

Sonia