COMPLETE[PLAY] The Drummer, or, The Haunted House - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

moniaqua wrote: February 8th, 2019, 1:00 am What kind of drum sound do you need? I do have a (archaic kind of) drum here; I don't know if it's gonna record right but I could try. Only I am not a drummer :)
I'm thinking a military marching band kind of drum. They do relate the sound of it to the fact that Sir George was (is?) a soldier.
Last edited by mightyfelix on February 8th, 2019, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Ok, mine won't really help in that case.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'm a percussionist. I can record something for you - if you are allowed to use it!

I've never tried drumming on the desk with the mic, I wonder what that would sound like? I think drumming in the bathroom would create an echo-y ghost-y kind of effect...?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I didn't know you're a percussionist! You continue to surprise me! I think if it was something you did yourself, it would be usable. We probably don't want it to be TOO ghostly because, as you learn very early on in the play, the drummer is real live flesh and blood.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Doing the drumming yourself would be okay, BUT one concern is if drum sequences might be copyrighted - like the JFK March mentioned in the original discussion.

Thanks, Todd
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'll just make something up myself - I gather Devorah wants a fairly straightforward martial drum roll and march. Fairly slow, I think, to make it sound ominous, but not complicated. Not complicated is rather the necessary part...

I'll probably just record my warmup exercises! That's just an improvised drum roll rather than being a piece of music, as such.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

When I walked into church this morning, I immediately heard a strange ticking noise coming from, apparently, the ceiling above the choir loft. No one seemed to know what it was or what was causing it, and it continued at a steady rate, unabated, for the entire hour.

At one point (when, of course, I should have been paying attention to the prayer or something), I started thinking that if the noise was a drum rather than a tick, it would indeed be very ghostly and disturbing! :lol:

(This has no real relevance, but was a funny circumstance I wanted to share.)

(Turned out to be something on the roof, having to do with the heating system.)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I've just noticed that I'd entered Campbell's part in the MW incorrectly. :oops: How terribly embarrassing. It's fixed now, Beth, whenever you have the chance to PL.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'm at a conference this weekend and I don't think I'll get to it today, so I think next week at the earliest.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

No problem, thanks for telling me. I might check this role for you, if I get my other PLs done in time.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Campbell. I just had a listen to your Coachman, and you did a nice job with him. He is very much the superstitious type, like his friends, and you captured that well. Acts 1 and 2 are already PL ok. There are two small notes for act 5.

First, something must have happened to the volume of your first line. Maybe an aggressive compression? I'm not sure, but the volume on the first word or two is extremely low, then suddenly the rest of the line sounds normal. I'm not sure if I'd be able to repair that in editing. Will you re-record the first line, please?
Then I have a suggestion for your line at 1:02. The line is, "Whew—so it was o' my Conscience." This is said in response to Sir George (as the conjurer) telling you where your horse was bought. The "so it was" is the important part of this line. You're amazed that he knows where you bought your horse. Then the "o' my conscience" bit is kind of like an oath. Maybe imagine a comma, or even an exclamation point after the word "was."
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

mightyfelix wrote: February 15th, 2019, 1:11 pm Thanks, Campbell. I just had a listen to your Coachman, and you did a nice job with him. He is very much the superstitious type, like his friends, and you captured that well. Acts 1 and 2 are already PL ok. There are two small notes for act 5.

First, something must have happened to the volume of your first line. Maybe an aggressive compression? I'm not sure, but the volume on the first word or two is extremely low, then suddenly the rest of the line sounds normal. I'm not sure if I'd be able to repair that in editing. Will you re-record the first line, please?
Then I have a suggestion for your line at 1:02. The line is, "Whew—so it was o' my Conscience." This is said in response to Sir George (as the conjurer) telling you where your horse was bought. The "so it was" is the important part of this line. You're amazed that he knows where you bought your horse. Then the "o' my conscience" bit is kind of like an oath. Maybe imagine a comma, or even an exclamation point after the word "was."
Thanks for the notes! For the volume issue, a while ago I noticed that happening in all of my recordings, so I now start with a 'Test one two three' before my actual speaking. This must have been before I figured that out. And the second one makes much more sense now, I was a bit confused beforehand!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/drummerorhauntedhouse_coachman_5_128kb.mp3
2:33
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks for the quick turnaround! Much better! Yes, it sounded to me like you weren't quite sure what the line meant. It's hard to read it if you don't get it. :wink: I've found myself in that situation more than a few times. Thanks again, first role is in the bag!
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose