COMPLETE [GROUP] The Doves' Nest and Other Stories - Katherine Mansfield - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sunbeard

Post by Sunbeard »

RobMarland wrote: January 27th, 2019, 3:59 pm Thanks, everyone!

Sunbeard

There are just a few things that need fixing. I only ask for fixes to errors that obscure the meaning.

7:00, middle page 30. "gaolbird" the old-fashioned spelling of jailbird.
7:55, top page 31. I hear "chopped hair" instead of "cropped hair".
10:05, toward bottom of page 32. "The one question was..." "One" is missing.
14:50, toward bottom of page 36. "'There it is', said Kezia." The "Said Kezia" is missing.

And the noise level is quite loud. Can you see if you can reduce that without making it sound too tinny?

Here is the armature edit. I am not skilled at editing audio as of yet but practice makes perfect. Its difficult to take a second recording and meld it with the original and make it sound like the original. I'll have to play with my input device to find out why so much noise is present.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/dovesnest_01_mansfield_128kb.mp3 17:28
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Doves' Nest is section 8. Then Six Years After and then is is Daphne and then Father and the Girls in the text. It does not show that way in the MW
Signature: KATHLEEN
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

2839reader wrote: January 28th, 2019, 9:04 pmDoves' Nest is section 8. Then Six Years After and then is is Daphne and then Father and the Girls in the text. It does not show that way in the MW
you are correct, probably a switch-around by error along the way. I switched them back to their right place now. Thanks for noticing !

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/dovesnest_14_mansfield_128kb.mp3 time 7:27

Hello,
Here is the section I had claimed. Do let me know if there is anything that I need to fix.
Thanks,
April
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Sunbeard
Thanks, section 1 PL OK now. Yes, it's not easy to get the edits sounding the same, but you did a good job.

April
Section 14 is PL OK too, thanks. One thing, though: it sounds like you have run a noise correction on your recording. Is that right? To me at least, it sounds a bit like you might have applied too strong a correction because there is that characteristic 'metallic' sound. If I'm right, and you still have the original file, would you mind running another, weaker correction? Or telling me if I'm wrong, so I know for future reference that there are other reasons for this sound?

2839reader & Sonia
Thanks for spotting this and for fixing it. Unfortunately, it's quite easy to accidentally move a section in the MW interface.
Rob Marland reader section | website
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Rob,
Yes, I did Noise Reduction on this file.
I do, in this order, noise clean, compress then amplify 8.1, listen to the "postable" file and anticipate pl comments.
I have been helped out in the past and that is where I have my settings from.
They have worked well and I do hope that you can suggest to me just what I should change for a less tinny sound.
I do still have the original "raw" file so I can follow your suggestions. Thank you,
April
RobMarland wrote: February 4th, 2019, 9:21 am Sunbeard
Thanks, section 1 PL OK now. Yes, it's not easy to get the edits sounding the same, but you did a good job.

April
Section 14 is PL OK too, thanks. One thing, though: it sounds like you have run a noise correction on your recording. Is that right? To me at least, it sounds a bit like you might have applied too strong a correction because there is that characteristic 'metallic' sound. If I'm right, and you still have the original file, would you mind running another, weaker correction? Or telling me if I'm wrong, so I know for future reference that there are other reasons for this sound?

2839reader & Sonia
Thanks for spotting this and for fixing it. Unfortunately, it's quite easy to accidentally move a section in the MW interface.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

adr6090 wrote: February 4th, 2019, 12:29 pm Rob,
Yes, I did Noise Reduction on this file.
I do, in this order, noise clean, compress then amplify 8.1, listen to the "postable" file and anticipate pl comments.
I have been helped out in the past and that is where I have my settings from.
They have worked well and I do hope that you can suggest to me just what I should change for a less tinny sound.
I do still have the original "raw" file so I can follow your suggestions. Thank you,
April
Thanks, April. I will respond via private message.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Rob,
Sonia,

Here is the original raw file.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/dovesnest_14_mansfield_RAW_128kb.mp3 time 1:29
April
April
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

adr6090 wrote: February 4th, 2019, 4:32 pm Rob,
Sonia,

Here is the original raw file.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/dovesnest_14_mansfield_RAW_128kb.mp3 time 1:29
April
OK, thanks, I will tinker with it in the morning.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Rob,

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/soundcheckdovesnest_14_mansfield_128kb.mp3 9:30

Here is the original raw file, let me know if this sounds different to you, please.
April
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

April
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, April! PL OK.
adr6090