COMPLETE[PLAY] The Drummer, or, The Haunted House - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: February 6th, 2019, 8:52 pm Do you do gender neutral casting? If so may I play the coachman? If not I can take the other female if that's all right by you :D
I'd like the main characters gender perfect, but for the three servants, yes, gender neutral is fine! So I'm happy to assign you the coachman.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

alanmapstone wrote: February 6th, 2019, 8:46 pm May I read the Gardener? I can do an English working man accent.
Sounds great, thank you!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I was hoping to be Lady Truman, but if Availle takes her I'll read Mrs Abigal.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Elizabby wrote: February 6th, 2019, 8:58 pm I was hoping to be Lady Truman, but if Availle takes her I'll read Mrs Abigal.
She didn't specify a preference between them. So I'll assign you Lady Truman, and Ava will be your lady's maid. (Or, housekeeper? I don't think her actual job is ever specified!)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

MW is completely ready, btw, and we're already down to only three roles.

I did add the archive source to the first post. I didn't check the whole thing, because that would just be silly. But they both seem to have identical punctuation, spelling, capitalization, and italics, so I feel pretty sure they're identical. :)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

May I read for Sir George?
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

silverquill wrote: February 6th, 2019, 10:32 pm May I read for Sir George?
Certainly. Thank you!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Todd, I've found this very nice sound clip of drum cadences that I think would fit very well. I don't know if you saw my question regarding this in the suggestions thread, but I'd really like to have the sound of a drum when the ghost makes his appearances.

This one says: "This work is licensed under the Creative Commons 0 License," and "The person who associated a work with this deed has dedicated the work to the public domain by waiving all of his or her rights to the work worldwide under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights, to the extent allowed by law. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission."

Is this allowable? Pretty please?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Also, I want to make a note on the text regarding "Mrs. Abgail." I've added it to the first post, but wanted to state it here too, just in case. Abigail is not married, but is consistently called "Mrs." For this play, this should be read as "Mistress." (I'm pretty sure she's the housekeeper.)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

mightyfelix wrote: February 6th, 2019, 10:52 pm Also, I want to make a note on the text regarding "Mrs. Abgail." I've added it to the first post, but wanted to state it here too, just in case. Abigail is not married, but is consistently called "Mrs." For this play, this should be read as "Mistress." (I'm pretty sure she's the housekeeper.)
Mistress...

Boy, with that appellation I'm probably an almost feeble 75 year old or something. :lol:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Not at all!

From the Interwebs:
Throughout history “mistress” was a term with a multiplicity of meanings, like so many forms of female address. In his Dictionary of 1755, Samuel Johnson defined mistress as: “1. A woman who governs; correlative to subject or servant; 2. A woman skilled in anything; 3. A woman teacher; 4. A woman beloved and courted; 5. A term of contemptuous address; 6. A whore or concubine.”
I'd say you fall under definitions 1, 2, and 4. But most especially 1. Anyway, you're still young and beautiful enough to captivate good Mr. Vellum! :wink:
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

mightyfelix wrote: February 6th, 2019, 11:44 pm Not at all!

From the Interwebs:
Throughout history “mistress” was a term with a multiplicity of meanings, like so many forms of female address. In his Dictionary of 1755, Samuel Johnson defined mistress as: “1. A woman who governs; correlative to subject or servant; 2. A woman skilled in anything; 3. A woman teacher; 4. A woman beloved and courted; 5. A term of contemptuous address; 6. A whore or concubine.”
I'd say you fall under definitions 1, 2, and 4. But most especially 1. Anyway, you're still young and beautiful enough to captivate good Mr. Vellum! :wink:
Act IV, Scene 1, suggests that there is plenty of the teacher in Mistress Abigail as well. Lord knows my savoir-faire could use a little bit of polish.

May I claim Fantome?

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

With regard to "Mrs" for Abigail, I remembered somewhere in one of Terry Pratchett's novels that a housekeeper had this as an honorific. I was curious about it and just made a search, and found this: https://www.quora.com/In-Downton-Abbey-why-are-Mrs-Patmore-and-Mrs-Hughes-called-referred-to-as-Mrs-if-they-are-unmarried

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
benderca

Post by benderca »

oh, it looks like only Vellum is left. Is that so? If so, may I play him? I can pull out my young man's voice... :D (but if you want a man, that's fine -- I've got loads of other projects to catch up on... :lol: or maybe one of the men with a gender neutral part wants to switch... )
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Don't remember that housekeeper... In Lady Sybil's Manor perhaps?

I probably don't need to introduce myself to anyone here, but I am a stickler for correctly addressing people indeed.
So, Devorah - what's it supposed to be? :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com