COMPLETE[PLAY] The Drummer, or, The Haunted House - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The Drummer, or, The Haunted House by Joseph Addison (1672 - 1719).

Lady Truman received word fourteen months ago that her husband, Sir George Truman, has died in battle. Now a very eligible widow with a large estate, she has more suitors than she knows what to do with. As if that wasn't enough, her house is now being haunted at night by the horrible and ghostly sound of a drum, apparently caused by the restless spirit of her husband. When an old man arrives who claims to be able to lay the spirit to rest, she is so desperate for relief that she determines to give him a chance. Written with wit and good humor, this play will have you laughing out loud! (Devorah Allen)
This project is complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-drummer-or-the-haunted-house-by-joseph-addison/

NOTE ON THE TEXT: Both versions of text use the abbreviation "Mrs." to refer to Abigail. For this play, this should be articulated as "Mistress," not "Missus," as Abigail is not married!
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://name.umdl.umich.edu/004780920.0001.000 OR https://archive.org/details/miscellaneouswor00addiuoft/page/422
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: 6JypN8UV
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Joseph Addison) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Addison
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 45
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
      • Original publication date (if known): 1715
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Dramatic Readings

Keywords that describe the book: comedy, humor, play, ghost

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of The Drummer, or, The Haunted House, by Joseph Addison. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        drummerorhauntedhouse_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where # is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
Last edited by mightyfelix on February 7th, 2019, 11:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Elizabby is DPL.

I will read narrator.

45 total sections, including a section 00 for preface, DP, and prologue. :)

Character descriptions below.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Sir George Truman: Arrives home to find his wife surrounded by suitors. Determined to know for sure whether she's remained true to him, he concocts a plan.

Mr. Tinsel: One of Lady Truman's suitors. He is described as a rake, but would like to think himself a wit. He is forever making jokes and has a very high opinion of himself.

Mr. Fantome, the Drummer: Another suitor of Lady Truman's. Spends most of the play inside the walls of the house, playing a ghostly drum.

Mr. Vellum, Sir George Truman's Steward: A man of honesty and integrity, he enters wholeheartedly into his master's secret and helps with his scheme. In love with Abigail.

Butler:
Coachman:
Gardener: These three servants can often be found together sharing a pot of ale. They are none of them very brave, bearing up admirably under the terror of the ghostly noises, but living in fear of Abigail. The Butler and Gardener are in love with the same woman, who does not make an appearance. These three roles may be gender neutral.

Lady Truman: A widow for the last fourteen months, she is feeling the pressure of a society that expects her to remarry, but has so far failed to find a suitable second husband.

Abigail: A servant to her Ladyship. She expects to receive a thousand pounds very soon from Mr. Fantome, provided she assists his plan to succeed. In love with Mr. Vellum.

There are a few lines in Act 3 that are missing a word or part of a word. I will note these in the MW.
Last edited by mightyfelix on February 6th, 2019, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I'll set up an MW for you.

EDIT: All set.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Another text source, perhaps easier for some people and more assuredly PD, is at Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/miscellaneouswor00addiuoft/page/422

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I butle?

(butle. intransitive verb. -·led, -·ling. Informal to serve as a butler: a humorous usage.)

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I did see that source as well, but I found the one I linked to to be easier to work with. It does contain an explicit public domain disclaimer on the main page.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ToddHW wrote: February 6th, 2019, 6:31 pm May I butle?

(butle. intransitive verb. -·led, -·ling. Informal to serve as a butler: a humorous usage.)

Thanks, Todd
To be honest, I heard Sir George in your voice as I read through the script. :wink: But if you'd prefer a smaller role, then butling it is!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Butle will be enough for me. My plate is very full....

Thanks, Todd
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

If it's available, I'd like to play Mr. Tinsel. :)

Also, I hope it's okay if I read from Archive. I find the formatting cleaner and thus easier to follow.
Tomas Peter
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

WiltedScribe wrote: February 6th, 2019, 6:45 pm If it's available, I'd like to play Mr. Tinsel. :)

Also, I hope it's okay if I read from Archive. I find the formatting cleaner and thus easier to follow.
You'll make a wonderful Tinsel!

I do believe both texts are identical. I suspect this is the edition that my source came from. But I'll double check when I get the chance. And if enough readers prefer the archive scan, I don't mind changing to that one.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

If you'd have me, I'd be up for either of the ladies' roles. :D

And I bet that in the end the long-dead husband makes a very live appearance too? :wink:

Edit: If you don't mind, could you keep up both text links? I find archive to be a bear searching through for the lines... :roll:
(although as an admin, I prefer to have those links in the catalog. But I'm not adminning here.)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Availle wrote: February 6th, 2019, 7:17 pm If you'd have me, I'd be up for either of the ladies' roles. :D
So you want me to choose for you? I think I see you more as the devoted widow, rather than the morally ambiguous servant. Both ladies appear in all five acts.
And I bet that in the end the long-dead husband makes a very live appearance too? :wink:
Well, he is in the cast list...... :lol:
Edit: If you don't mind, could you keep up both text links? I find archive to be a bear searching through for the lines... :roll:
(although as an admin, I prefer to have those links in the catalog. But I'm not adminning here.)
Yes, that's why I prefer the one I put up. It's more easily searchable.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read the Gardener? I can do an English working man accent.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Do you do gender neutral casting? If so may I play the coachman? If not I can take the other female if that's all right by you :D
Campbell
pronouns: they/them