COMPLETE[PLAY]Every Man Out of His Humour by Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 7:25 am And here are my finished files for Fallace (did she really have to have such a telling name :oops: :lol: )

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/outofhumour_fallace_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 6:26 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/outofhumour_fallace_4_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 4:52 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/outofhumour_fallace_5_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:42 min.

I had huge fun, firstly in berating poor Deliro and secondly in drooling over Fastidious :lol: a complex character.

Hope you enjoy, Todd !

Sonia
Hmmm. Quite another side to you. I pity my poor character. Maybe this is the same husband/wife/courtier relationship as in George Dandin - in which case I am doomed.

Act 2 PL OK - but note that at 3:30 you say "dessert" (cake and ice cream) instead of "desert" (wasteland of dunes). I presume that the "desert" is a comment on the dull brownness of your brother's suit, but can't find anything in a quick scan of the text to support that idea - perhaps it is too easily visual when on stage. Or maybe you are already thinking about your soon-to-be new-found courtier love...? So leave "dessert" as it is.

Act 4 and 5 PL OK. I am very glad to see that I get the last word. You are going to be in a heap of trouble when I get you home in the unwritten Act 6!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: February 5th, 2019, 6:01 amHmmm. Quite another side to you. I pity my poor character. Maybe this is the same husband/wife/courtier relationship as in George Dandin - in which case I am doomed.
well, it looks more like I am doomed at the end, once Deliro gets out of his love delirium :lol:
but note that at 3:30 you say "dessert" (cake and ice cream) instead of "desert" (wasteland of dunes).
actually I took it as "merit" (desert is the old-fashioned noun of "to deserve sth good (or bad)") It's not the first time we encountered this problem :mrgreen: I noticed that in 99% of the cases when this word appears in old stage plays, it usually means "merit" and very rarely "sand dunes".

Well here, to me it also made more sense that way. And "desert/merit" is the same way stressed than "dessert/cake"
see etymology 1: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/desert#Etymology_1

so if you agree, I'll tentatively mark them PL ok...
I am very glad to see that I get the last word. You are going to be in a heap of trouble when I get you home in the unwritten Act 6!
:lol: I have the feeling a lot of our stage plays would have profitted from an unwritten 6th act.

Thanks !

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, if you have a fancy to it... :lol:

Thanks, Sonia! The growl was mostly the result of two hours or so recording other things first, until my voice was good and tired. I had a hunch it would suit Shift well.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, let me take a few of the bit parts.
How about Cinedo, Notary and George?
HE IS RISEN
~ Larry
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: February 5th, 2019, 6:08 am
ToddHW wrote: February 5th, 2019, 6:01 amHmmm. Quite another side to you. I pity my poor character. Maybe this is the same husband/wife/courtier relationship as in George Dandin - in which case I am doomed.
well, it looks more like I am doomed at the end, once Deliro gets out of his love delirium :lol:
but note that at 3:30 you say "dessert" (cake and ice cream) instead of "desert" (wasteland of dunes).
actually I took it as "merit" (desert is the old-fashioned noun of "to deserve sth good (or bad)") It's not the first time we encountered this problem :mrgreen: I noticed that in 99% of the cases when this word appears in old stage plays, it usually means "merit" and very rarely "sand dunes".

Well here, to me it also made more sense that way. And "desert/merit" is the same way stressed than "dessert/cake"
see etymology 1: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/desert#Etymology_1

so if you agree, I'll tentatively mark them PL ok...
I am very glad to see that I get the last word. You are going to be in a heap of trouble when I get you home in the unwritten Act 6!
:lol: I have the feeling a lot of our stage plays would have profitted from an unwritten 6th act.

Thanks !

Sonia
I already marked it PL OK...

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: February 5th, 2019, 6:18 pmHere Sogliardo, I had a lot of fun doing this, thank you!
well Elijah, I noticed that you had great fun, and you really created a highly entertaining character as well. Your Sogliardo is just the proud, silly, pompopur fop that he should be. You catch his tone of voice quite well. And special kudos for this wonderful laughing episode in Act 2 :lol: I had to laugh with you when I listened to it. It sounds quite genuine ;)

That said: really good play-acting :thumbs:

but: there are quite a few textual notes I had to write down (that's what took me so long to answer :? ) Could you please go back to these time-stamps and correct a few things to make the text easier understandable please. Ben Jonson's English is hard enough as it is for modern ears ;)

for Act 1:

> at 0:20: stumble: “my friends left me well” – “I hear my friends let me” and you make a long pause between the words as if you were aware of your stumble, but you forgot to correct it

> at 0:38: “I am like your tailor's needle” – you say “trader’s”

> at about 2:07: missing line (wrongly named SAG.) “I warrant you, sir.

> at 2:27: “I have kindred in the city to talk of” – you say “in the city of talk” which doesn’t make any sense

> at 2:35: stumble and repeat: “my brother Sordido's son” – you say “Sordiodido

> at 6:16: “as to live by my wits” – there is a hiccup in the recording that swallows the word “live”

> at 7:05: “I had as lieve see a cockatrice” – you say “lively”, “lieve” or rather “lief” is an old word for “I’d rather”, pronounced like the word “leaf

for Act 2:

> at about 0:01: missing line (wrongly named SIG.) – “Signior, now you talk of a hobby-horse, I know where one is will not be given for a brace of angels.

> at 4:12: another hiccup swallowing part of the recording: “Ah, peace; now above, now above!”

> at 6:00: “When saw you my niece?” – you say “When you saw my niece” but it needs to be a question, since Fungoso replies to it

> at about 6:41: two missing quotes: “I'll see all those devices an I come to London once.” and “What says my nephew?

for Act 3:

> at 0:45: “I can write myself gentleman now” – I would suggest a different intonation here, otherwise the meaning of the sentence totally gets lost. Sogliardo has just bought himself an aristocratic title, and is proudly saying that he can write (= call) himself by the name of “gentleman” now. So I would stress proudly on the word “gentleman” to convey that

for Act 4:

> at 0:32: “Why, as I am a gentleman” – another hiccup at “gentleman”

> at 2:02: “he, have been worth forty” – you say “fourth forty”, which doesn't make sense

> at 2:28: “he has broken the gaol” – this is the British spelling of “jail” and is pronounced “jail”, just like in American English

for Act 5:

> at 3:43: “the most inexorable company of robberies” – you say “inoxerable”

> at 4:51: “that ever Christian was acquainted with” – I think I hear “acquitted” here :hmm:

thanks in any case, it was really a very good performance :)

Sonia
ej400

Post by ej400 »

:shock: :help:

I think I must have been a little too carried away into the character. Somehow I just felt like I connected (not with all the tobacco though :lol: ), but just the things that were actually happening in the play. I think I can find a decent mix of being the character, and following the text, and also try to not stumble as much. I didn't know gaol was jail actually, but thanks for letting me know.

I think I'll just do a redo. I mean I don't exactly mind, I had a lot of fun doing it and I didn't memorize the lines so it'l be like I'm doing something else similar, but also familiar.

Thank you Sonia! :D
Foon

Post by Foon »

Kitty wrote: January 30th, 2019, 1:37 am
Foon wrote: January 29th, 2019, 9:42 amHere is Saviolina:

Edit: and also my two small parts:
sorry, I seem to have missed these yesterday. :? All parts excellently characterized, Foon :9: I especially love this sweet but inquisitive gentlewoman-in-waiting on the window.

Saviolina and Musician already PL ok.

One PL note for the gentlewoman:

> at about 1:35: missing line: “My lady will come presently, sir.

Thank you

Sonia
Added missing line:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/outofhumour_gentlewoman_2_128kb.mp3 1:41
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: February 6th, 2019, 6:20 am I think I'll just do a redo. I mean I don't exactly mind, I had a lot of fun doing it and I didn't memorize the lines so it'l be like I'm doing something else similar, but also familiar.
NO ! please, don't do a complete redo. :help: It's too much work and most of the lines are wonderful, there is no need to redo all of it. Please only re-record those lines I mentioned.

Seriously, I'm not often complaining, but your files took me over 2 hours to listen to and write up the notes, I would really prefer not having to do that again, unnecessarily. Just Spot PLing the 2 dozen lines is less time-consuming for all involved.

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Foon wrote: February 6th, 2019, 6:34 am Added missing line:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/outofhumour_gentlewoman_2_128kb.mp3 1:41
thank you Foon, now PL ok

Sonia
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Kitty wrote: February 6th, 2019, 6:36 am NO ! please, don't do a complete redo. :help: It's too much work and most of the lines are wonderful, there is no need to redo all of it. Please only re-record those lines I mentioned.

Seriously, I'm not often complaining, but your files took me over 2 hours to listen to and write up the notes, I would really prefer not having to do that again, unnecessarily. Just Spot PLing the 2 dozen lines is less time-consuming for all involved.

Thank you

Sonia
At your request (since I know what it's like PLing long section), I'll make edits to it. I don't usually record from audacity, and I thought that each section had enough to redo. Sorry about that. I'll fix the edits instead and not re-record the whole thing, thank you.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ej400 wrote: February 6th, 2019, 6:45 am At your request (since I know what it's like PLing long section), I'll make edits to it. I don't usually record from audacity, and I thought that each section had enough to redo. Sorry about that. I'll fix the edits instead and not re-record the whole thing, thank you.
thank you, I'm relieved to hear that.

Sonia