COMPLETE[PLAY]George Dandin by Moliere - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

Kitty wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 1:30 am
ah wonderful performance, Bhavya. This was my favourite scene for Angelique. She tries the begging for merci thing first, but then she shows her real anger and distate for her husband. Very forcefully acted. :thumbs: Loved it !

I have a few corrections for this act though:

> at 2:20: (p. 267) “and that you have reason to complain” – you say “you have no reason”, which is wrong in this case

> at 4:56-5:00 (p. 268) “and with this knife...” you can cut this version out here, as it’s repeated later once more

> at 5:58-5:59 (p. 269) “and who has not scrupled to take her own life” – I would cut the longer pause in between

> at 7:40-7:41: (p. 270) “most extravagant behaviour” – pause here also feels a bit long

> at 8:39: (p. 272) “and I beg of you” – you say “I beg you of you”, which sounds a bit strange

> at 9:09-9:12: (p. 273) “overlook such insults, but, whatever violence” – long pause

> at 9:21-9:24 (p. 273) “will be of no use; we shall have to recommence” – also long pause

thank you for this great act ! Really well done.

Sonia
Thank you Sonia! I will correct it and upload tomorrow.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

I‘ve particpated in so many of these plays, so I have a feel for how it‘s done, but I‘ve never actually done the stage directions. Isn’t there a page somewhere giving guidelines?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

benderca wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 1:14 pm I‘ve particpated in so many of these plays, so I have a feel for how it‘s done, but I‘ve never actually done the stage directions. Isn’t there a page somewhere giving guidelines?
Don't know if there is a page somewhere. Here are some guidelines Sonia and I (mostly Sonia) have provided in the forum at times.

You read the intro and outro words for each act. The words to say are in the first posting.

Please leave at least 4-5 seconds of silence (more is better) between each "chunk" you have to read. I will have to copy/paste each bit out of everyone's original file and paste it in the correct spot in the masterfile - and I start with your file when making the master. So it's helpful if you leave enough cutting out/cutting in space.

You need to read carefully through the text, to find all the stage directions, so basically everything that is not being read by a character. (example: "closes door" or "laughs", "scene 3", Enters and Exits, things like that). Often they are in brackets, but maybe not always.

If you read a character-description right at the beginning of the character's speech, you need to read the name of the character as well. While when the direction shows up in the middle of a speech, you don't have to read the name.

example: John (putting down the book): Now listen to me... (closing the door)...I need to tell you a secret.

Here you would have to read all that is underlined. So the name in the beginning, but not repeated in the middle.

As far as Dramatis personae go, yes, please read the entire characteristics, for example: "Satan, the great devil, read by..." -- then 5 seconds pause for editing -- "Pug, the less devil, read by ..." -- 5 seconds pause -- "Iniquity, the vice, read by ..." and so on. This is to make sure we have a complete set of voice credits, just in case one of the readers vanishes without handing in their voice credit. Also don't forget to read "Stage Directions, read by_______" We need your voice credit as well.

If in doubt, just record it - easier for me to cut than to track you down when I discover I need something. Any questions, just ask.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:lol: you spend the entire act looking for your dear Claudine (who clearly doesn't want to be found ;) ) You're right, Alan, I think Lubin is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. He was surely a great comic relief in the day though.

Excellently done, no errors or missing lines. PL ok. Your part is done for this play, thank you. See you in the next play :D

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
benderca

Post by benderca »

ToddHW wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:28 pm Don't know if there is a page somewhere. Here are some guidelines Sonia and I (mostly Sonia) have provided in the forum at times.

If in doubt, just record it - easier for me to cut than to track you down when I discover I need something. Any questions, just ask.

Thanks, Todd
Thanks, Todd & Sonia!
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

Finally...angelique act 3 ready for PL.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bhavya wrote: January 26th, 2019, 5:19 am Finally...angelique act 3 ready for PL.
excellently patched and PL ok now. Thanks Bhavya, you delivered a wonderfully cunning Angelique here. :thumbs:

Only two roles left to come in, I have the feeling this Molière play went very fast. :shock:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

MajorToast wrote: January 11th, 2019, 11:45 am https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/georgedandin_george_mt_128kb.mp3

11:04 in length

Act 1 then the house gets noisy.
Submitted for Madame's approval.
I am assembling the play now and missing a line for George on page 246, scene 8: "How! Satisfaction?"

Please just send in a separate file called "george_1_scene8line" or something similar (posting link here so I can find it).

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have assembled as much as I can so far. You all sound wonderful, and this is a very funny play. Poor George!

Thanks, Todd
MajorToast

Post by MajorToast »

benderca

Post by benderca »

So here's my first attempt at stage directions. I wasn't sure if I should pronounce George Dandin's name in French or in English. After trying them both out, I went with the French, because all the other names are decidedly French. If this is too confusing (because George talks to himself a lot), I also have a version recorded with George Dandin in the English pronunciation, but not edited.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/georgedandin_stagedirections_1_128kb.mp3

I'll wait for your feedback before I record Act 2. Thanks!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

I do not generally require consistency in pronunciation between different readers, though I do want consistency for any one reader. Different characters may have come from different backgrounds or cultures and said things differently, people may have used nicknames, etc.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: February 5th, 2019, 6:19 pmSo here's my first attempt at stage directions. I wasn't sure if I should pronounce George Dandin's name in French or in English.
brilliant recording, TJ. You absolved your rookie-stage directions test with an A+ :thumbs: Seriously, no lines missing, everything as it should. And as to French pronunciation, it's like Todd says, some people use French others English, so as long as you stay consistent, it's fine. I like your French and think we should keep it.

PL ok. Thanks ! Keep them coming. :mrgreen:

Sonia