[Solo] The Battle of Books by Jonathan Swift - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ej400

Post by ej400 »

The Battle of the Books by Jonathan Swift (1667 - 1745).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-battle-of-the-books-by-jonathan-swift/
"The Battle of the Books" depicts a literal battle between books in the King's Library (housed in St James's Palace at the time of the writing), as ideas and authors struggle for supremacy. Because of the satire, "The Battle of the Books" has become a term for the Quarrel of the Ancients and the Moderns. It is one of his earliest well-known works. (Wikipedia)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/623/623-h/623-h.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Satire

Keywords that describe the book: satire

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Battle of the Books. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Battle of the Books, by Jonathan Swift. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Battle of the Books by Jonathan Swift. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Battle of the Books, by Jonathan Swift. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename battleofthebooks_##_swift_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. battleofthebooks_01_swift_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      Please use your BC/DPL login.
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by ej400 on December 2nd, 2019, 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

I can MC this for you.

MW is set up.

I have made a few small edits to the first post.

David O
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Awesome, thank you so much Dave, I really appreciate it!

I do have a question though. I was thinking in section 0, I would do the Introduction, the bookseller to the readers, and the preface. The bookseller to the reader and the preface are quite short, and so I was wondering if I should do them in the same section (0)?

Also, should I read the bookseller to the reader?

Thank you :D
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Combining them into one recording makes sense since they are short.

The choice to read “bookseller to the reader” is yours? How important is it to the rest of the book ? How useful will it be for the listener ? I did notice one clarification in it about using the author’s name to refer to the book and not the author, is this useful or unnecessary?
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I think I'll read it. I was just thinking that sense librivox is free audiobooks, they wouldn't need to hear what the bookseller had to say :lol:
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Thanks for taking the time to think it through.

If it were just a sales pitch then I would skip it too, but there is a bit of useful info there.

As you read through this, think about what keywords people would use to search for it (besides the author and the title).

David O
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Will do, thank you so much David!
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi!

Do you still need a DPL?

I have some free time between my readings...

Lynda
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Lmnei wrote: February 5th, 2019, 10:20 pm Hi!

Do you still need a DPL?

I have some free time between my readings...

Lynda
Yes I do, thank you so much! :D
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Moving this to “Going Solo”
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Section 0 is ready for PL.

Thanks
Elijah.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Elijah

Here are the results from PL of Section 0. The 1st group of the 3 parts read was the roughest and slowest - you got faster and read better in the 2nd and 3rd parts of this Section. The one thing I like to remember when recording is that people can listen faster than I can read. Now that does not mean I am going to sound like a chipmunk when reading and go really fast, however when you read slower like you did especially in the first part, you started to lose me as a listener. Just something to think about when recording.

First, you need to increase the volume of your recording - it is below the acceptable range. Please check for noise when you do that as there was a considerable amount of background noise that I could hear (tv, sink, paper shuffling) especially in the 1st half.

0:26 - remove extra 2 seconds of silence
7:50 – heard "agrid gentim" should be agri – gen – tum (said all at once)
7 :58 – heard "Honour" – should be "Honourable".
8:14 – extra "lib" before "librarian" that can be cut out
8:49 – extra "pro" before "provided" that can be cut out
10:03 – heard "predicted" text says "prediction" which has a different meaning
10:11 – heard "pAtridge" instead of "partridge" which is a different word
11:31 – heard "fails" text says "falls" which is a different word
13:28 – hears "mis-understandings" text says "understandings" which gives a different meaning
14:10 – heard "and we will find" where text says "and he will find"

Lynda
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Thank you Lynda, I will try to fix these. I guess I was just adjusting to the text, and that's why it started out slowly, I do apologize. I did forget to run it threw the checker :shock: :lol:

Thanks
Elijah
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Section 0 is ready for spot check PL

Edit @0:26. Edit @7:48. Edit @7:55. Edit @8:11. @8:49... no edit. I didn't hear another pro before provided. It sounded like I went ppprrrooovided rather, trying to not add another pro. @10:03 I know there's a difference between the two words "predicted" and "prediction", but I don't think it made much of a difference either way. Edit @10:08. Edit @11:27. Edit @13:24. Edit @14:07.

Some of the one word things I don't think really needed to be fixed, as I requested standard PL and not quite the word perfect. I appreciate your feedback, but I'd like a little bit less of the one word PL notes if possible please. Thank you so much Lynda, I really appreciate it, your a great DPL! :D

Elijah
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Section 1 is up and ready for PL

Thank you Lynda!
Elijah