[Complete] The Chinese Kitten by Edna Adelaide Brown - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lushnam

Post by Lushnam »

jenniferrd wrote: January 31st, 2019, 12:16 am Chapter 13: PL OK! Nice reading! :thumbs:
Thanks! :) I'm excited that the book is almost done! :)
bobb

Post by bobb »

jenniferrd wrote: January 30th, 2019, 11:52 pm Chapter 8:
9:25 - I'm not sure if you just tried to cut out the noise, but it now has a double d sound almost like a stumble, sounds like it jumps, and then there is still a noise on "here am I, showing you just (noise)", that was mentioned at 9:28 since you cut out the double part at :21)
9:40 - there is still a noise (since you cut out the double part at :21, this is the same loud noise first mentioned at 9:43.
I apologize, I see that I marked 9:27 for the knock noise, it was supposed to be 9:47, and it now located at 9:45. It is still there
10:05 - there is still is a knock noise
On the stumble: We had have had a beautiful time (now at 18:05) it is passable, but it sounds like you cut out the "had" and it jumps. If it were me, I would rerecord that sentence and edit it in.

It would probably be easiest if you rerecord the entire sentences where these noises are and edit them into your recording. These are fairly loud background noises that are distracting to the listener and we rely on readers to edit the files so they are enjoyable to the listener. There are other noises throughout the recording that are not distracting, and I didn't mention those.

I think this was a really interesting chapter - I wonder how "bad" the radium in glass was for their health??? :shock:
Hi Jennifer,
Thank you for the notes. I'll rerecord some of the more problematic sentences (especially because some of the loud noises are located right in the soundwaves). My cat was sneezing loudly for the first part of the recording and the noise got into the soundwaves themselves, sorry about that :| .

Sorry if I'm holding up the project, I'll get to recording as soon as possible.
~April
My projects:
Chinese Kitten
bobb

Post by bobb »

Hi Lynne,

Here's chapter 8 ready for spot check:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/chinesekitten_08_brown_128kb.mp3

Hopefully this version is ok :wink:

Runtime is 18:50.
~April
My projects:
Chinese Kitten
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

bobb wrote: January 31st, 2019, 8:41 pm Hi Lynne,

Here's chapter 8 ready for spot check:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/chinesekitten_08_brown_128kb.mp3

Hopefully this version is ok :wink:

Runtime is 18:50.
Thank you
Lushnam

Post by Lushnam »

bobb wrote: January 31st, 2019, 3:13 pm
9:25 - I'm not sure if you just tried to cut out the noise, but it now has a double d sound almost like a stumble, sounds like it jumps, and then there is still a noise on "here am I, showing you just (noise)", that was mentioned at 9:28 since you cut out the double part at :21)
9:40 - there is still a noise (since you cut out the double part at :21, this is the same loud noise first mentioned at 9:43.
I apologize, I see that I marked 9:27 for the knock noise, it was supposed to be 9:47, and it now located at 9:45. It is still there
On the stumble: We had have had a beautiful time (now at 18:05) it is passable, but it sounds like you cut out the "had" and it jumps. If it were me, I would rerecord that sentence and edit it in.

It would probably be easiest if you rerecord the entire sentences where these noises are and edit them into your recording. These are fairly loud background noises that are distracting to the listener and we rely on readers to edit the files so they are enjoyable to the listener. There are other noises throughout the recording that are not distracting, and I didn't mention those.

I think this was a really interesting chapter - I wonder how "bad" the radium in glass was for their health??? :shock:
Hi Jennifer,
Thank you for the notes. I'll rerecord some of the more problematic sentences (especially because some of the loud noises are located right in the soundwaves). My cat was sneezing loudly for the first part of the recording and the noise got into the soundwaves themselves, sorry about that :| .

Just FYI, I didn't mean to imply that you were holding up the project (and I don't think that, either). As far as I'm concerned, you're doing an excellent job, and you're not lagging at all in your responses and revisions. I do think you deserve respect. Even if you were to take a full two months from your assignment date to finish, the project allows for it, and I wouldn't complain. No pressure. :) You're still a ways under the month mark, too, and you've successfully done another section in this project already. Plus, you didn't know you couldn't divide the recording with a family member before you first volunteered for the section (so it's understandable if it takes longer than you intended).

On the line of sneezing cats, opening doors and such, I was reading in our cold storage room when suddenly someone opened the door (which was loud and creaky) and shut off the light (not knowing I was there) :lol: ; then the water pipes started making a bunch of sound (so I went out into the garden shed to finish—there's a little more echo in there, but it's the only other quiet place I know).
Lushnam

Post by Lushnam »

So, I discovered the other day that The Chinese Kitten appears to be a sequel to The Silver Bear (which was published and copyrighted a year earlier). Or if it's not a sequel, it shares characters (e.g. Lucy and Dora Merrill, and Uncle Dan).

The Silver Bear, August 1921 (Illustrator: Antoinette Inglis), ©1921, 2009, 2018: https://archive.org/details/silverbear00brow/page/n8 or https://archive.org/details/silverbear21brow/page/n8

I did some research on the author and investigated her books. I didn't find any other books that obviously shared the same characters as The Silver Bear and The Chinese Kitten—although Arnold's Little Brother and Archer and the "Prophet" seem to share the same characters as each other.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Lushnam wrote: February 1st, 2019, 1:32 am So, I discovered the other day that The Chinese Kitten appears to be a sequel to The Silver Bear (which was published and copyrighted a year earlier). Or if it's not a sequel, it shares characters (e.g. Lucy and Dora Merrill, and Uncle Dan).

The Silver Bear, August 1921 (Illustrator: Antoinette Inglis), ©1921, 2009, 2018: https://archive.org/details/silverbear00brow/page/n8 or https://archive.org/details/silverbear21brow/page/n8

I did some research on the author and investigated her books. I didn't find any other books that obviously shared the same characters as The Silver Bear and The Chinese Kitten—although Arnold's Little Brother and Archer and the "Prophet" seem to share the same characters as each other.
Looks like this might be the next project... unless someone decides on a solo first :D
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

That's awesome!
bobb

Post by bobb »

Lushnam wrote: February 1st, 2019, 1:14 am
bobb wrote: January 31st, 2019, 3:13 pm

Hi Jennifer,

Just FYI, I didn't mean to imply that you were holding up the project (and I don't think that, either). As far as I'm concerned, you're doing an excellent job, and you're not lagging at all in your responses and revisions. I do think you deserve respect. Even if you were to take a full two months from your assignment date to finish, the project allows for it, and I wouldn't complain. No pressure. :) You're still a ways under the month mark, too, and you've successfully done another section in this project already. Plus, you didn't know you couldn't divide the recording with a family member before you first volunteered for the section (so it's understandable if it takes longer than you intended).

On the line of sneezing cats, opening doors and such, I was reading in our cold storage room when suddenly someone opened the door (which was loud and creaky) and shut off the light (not knowing I was there) :lol: ; then the water pipes started making a bunch of sound (so I went out into the garden shed to finish—there's a little more echo in there, but it's the only other quiet place I know).
Hi Lushnam,
I knew you weren't implying anything negative :) I just meant that everything else is PL OK and mine was the only section still under the tag of See PL Notes. So once mine is PL OK it'll be off to the catalog!

About my cat, after the first few minutes of his sneezing I moved him out of the room, but of course he came back and started sneezing again :lol: He started snorting and stopped after maybe fifteen minutes, so the last four or so minutes were sneeze-free :lol: :lol:

Thank you so much for your encouraging words- that was the nicest message I've received at LibriVox.

Kind regards,
April
~April
My projects:
Chinese Kitten
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

April - you are fine, I have a cat, a loud HVAC system, and two children. Recording time can sometimes be impossible or at least very challenging!! :lol: :lol:
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Sorry for the delay! I didn't see that it was already ready to spot PL!

Chapter 8 - PL OK! Thank you for the corrections!

We are ready to go!

Great job everyone!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Working on this, then I'll look into starting that other Lucy and Dora story :thumbs:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-chinese-kitten-by-edna-adelaide-brown/

Thank you, everyone, and especially Jennifer for PLing.

The Silver Bear is now on the Launch Pad (and we find out Lucy and Dora are not sisters!) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=73709
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Lynnet wrote: February 4th, 2019, 10:04 am All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-chinese-kitten-by-edna-adelaide-brown/

The Silver Bear is now on the Launch Pad (and we find out Lucy and Dora are not sisters!) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=73709
Woohoo! Thanks everyone, and especially Lynne! :D (Lucy and Dora aren't sisters??! What??! :shock: )
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

JayKitty76 wrote: February 4th, 2019, 12:15 pm
Lynnet wrote: February 4th, 2019, 10:04 am All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-chinese-kitten-by-edna-adelaide-brown/

Woohoo! Thanks everyone, and especially Lynne! :D (Lucy and Dora aren't sisters??! What??! :shock: )
Ha, you might have to sign up for chapter 2!!