[COMPLETE] The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night (Arabian Nights), Vol 10 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
endlessriver

Post by endlessriver »

SkyRider wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 5:06 am ....what software you're using to edit...
Hi SkyRider -- I'm using Audacity, and would be happy to adjust the level and the silence at the end (it would not surprise me to have miscounted)

Also, thanks for the kind words on the couplets, I did find it a somewhat challenging read, and am still finding my voice, so thanks again :)
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

That's fairly straightforward then - you need to install an extra plug-in, but that's the hardest part of the process. Download the link marked "New Version" at the bottom of the first post in this forum: https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63067 It'll always point to the latest version if it gets revised. This will download a file called replaygain.ny - copy this file into the Plug-ins folder in your Audacity installation. As it's in Audacity's internal scripting language there aren't separate files for Windows, Mac or Linux.

Start Audacity and click on "Add/Remove Plug-Ins" in the Effects menu. Find Replaygain - this'll be faster if you click the "New" selection at the top of the dialogue box. Highlight Replaygain then click Enable then OK. You should now see an entry for Replaygain in the bottom half of the Effects menu.

All that is a bit of a faff but only needs to be done once.

To check the loudness of a file, press Ctrl-A to select the whole file (or use your preferred selection method!) and pick Effects | Replaygain. The Replaygain dialogue gives you two options - Normalise or Analyze. The easy thing to do is pick Normalise, press OK and you will end up with a file at the perfect volume. However, the plug-in is a bit crude if it needs to amplify the audio and if you have high-volume peaks they may well get clipped. My preference is to use the Analyse setting which will tell me how much I need to amplify by then amplify with compression or limiting to hit the correct volume without damaging the sound.

If all this seems like too much work, a more rough-and-ready measure can be achieved by looking at the RMS level of the file - it's not as much a precision tool as Replaygain, but it's easy and fast. Highlight the whole track, go to Analyse | Contrast | Foreground Measure Selection - if you get a result between -22 and -23 you're probably pretty close. It's better to use Replaygain if you can though.

Hope that's helpful - give a yell if you run into problems. Better yet, give a yell on the help forum so someone in your timezone can respond faster than I can.
Foon

Post by Foon »

SkyRider wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 4:09 am You should now see an entry for Replaygain in the bottom half of the Effects menu.
Just weighing in; I don't know if this can be e.g. an operating system difference, but for me (on Mac) ReplayGain is in the "Analyze" menu. :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Foon wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 6:42 am Just weighing in; I don't know if this can be e.g. an operating system difference, but for me (on Mac) ReplayGain is in the "Analyze" menu. :)
I think it's a version difference - the older one (without the Normalise option) appears in Analyze, the newer in Effects. You need an upgrade! :D
Last edited by SkyRider on January 23rd, 2019, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I need to downgrade. I much preferred having it in Analyze. There were fewer entries to weed through to find it. :lol:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

TriciaG wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 7:22 am I much preferred having it in Analyze.
+1 to that, though why not simply assign a keyboard shortcut to it? That way it doesn't matter where it is.
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

SkyRider wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 7:39 amwhy not simply assign a keyboard shortcut to it?
Better yet (and I've only just had the idea so will try it when I get home this evening) why not create a Macro of Ctrl-A, ReplayGain then assign the keyboard shortcut to that?
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Hi all...

Just a bit of advance notice that I won't have access to a computer from 13 Feb to 19 Feb inclusive, so I won't be able to do any PLing during that period. If you're happy waiting up to a week for me to turn things around then I'll do any outstanding PLing when I get back.

Alternatively, if you've not PLed before and would like to try with a bit of handholding, this might be the opportunity. I'll still have my phone so will be able to respond to e-mail and could talk you through things. If that sounds like you, PM me as we'd have to swap e-mail addresses beforehand.

Cheers,
Paul
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

I will claim Section 23 (al-Islam).
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you Jeff! All yours :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
safasofia

Post by safasofia »

SkyRider wrote: January 16th, 2019, 3:23 am No apologies needed, Safa. It's like learning to drive - there are so many little details that you think you'll never get used to all of them and suddenly, after a few times, it all comes together and becomes instinctive.

The overall loudness is perfect now - good work!
The gap before you start is also ideal - thank you!
There's one small thing at the end - as well as excising the "End of book" piece, you've also cut the five second silence at the end. If you could just put a five second tail in that would be fantastic. :D

Sorry to send you round the loop again.
Sorry, I really fell off the face of the planet there! I've gone back in and added the 5 second silence at the end. I hope it's alright! Let me know openly if there's anything else.

Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/arabiannightsvolume10_14_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (7 minutes and 3 seconds)
safasofia

Post by safasofia »

Foon wrote: January 15th, 2019, 12:06 pm
Thank you! Paul will give this a spot check, and in the mean time I've signed you up for section 15 (that's what you wanted, right?)
Thank you, Foon, yes section 15 is great! I'll get on it right away!
safasofia

Post by safasofia »

Hey, as I'm prepping for my Section 15 recording, I see some parts I'm not sure how to deal with. Maybe you can offer some advice?

- "e.g." do I say "eeee-ggg" or should I say "exempli gratia" or can I say "for example"
- similar question about other abbreviations like AD (shall I say "aye-dee" or "after death"?) and I see "ob. A.D." but I cannot find the meaning for "ob." online... do you happen to know? Maybe "obligatti"?
- Here is a double question: those numbers and equal signs... for example "Al-Hariri A.H. 446-516 = 1030-1100" shall I say here, "four fourty six to five sixteen equals ten thirty to eleven hundred" or is it better to say something like "the year four-hundred fourty six until five-hundred sixteen, which is equivalent to the year one thousand thirty until one thousand one-hundred" (I assume this is the islamic calendar versus the gregorian calendar... is that right?)
- I assume that I can skip the "FN#..." footnote numbers, is that right?
- I assume when I see roman numerals, I should read the actual number, like "ii" I should read "two" rather than "eye eye". Is that right?

Thanks in advance!
Foon

Post by Foon »

safasofia wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 11:28 am Hey, as I'm prepping for my Section 15 recording, I see some parts I'm not sure how to deal with. Maybe you can offer some advice?
Great, it's always good to ask questions! :thumbs:
- "e.g." do I say "eeee-ggg" or should I say "exempli gratia" or can I say "for example"
Any of those is fine. I personally go with "for example".
- similar question about other abbreviations like AD (shall I say "aye-dee" or "after death"?) and I see "ob. A.D." but I cannot find the meaning for "ob." online... do you happen to know? Maybe "obligatti"?
This one I don't know :shock: I haven't the faintest idea what the "ob." stands for, and I cannot find it either. A.D. would typically stand for "Anno Domini", but it's common enough in speech to say "aye-dee", so that would be fine. I'm gonna ask this in the Need Help forum, see if anyone else knows, but it'd be absolutely fine to say "oh-bee aye-dee" if you don't feel like waiting for someone to have the proper answer.
EDIT: Tovarisch was a hero and figured it out! It stands for the Latin "obiit" which means "died". So you can read "died A.D. [year]" or "died Anno Domini [year]" or use "obiit" instead of "died" in these two examples.
- Here is a double question: those numbers and equal signs... for example "Al-Hariri A.H. 446-516 = 1030-1100" shall I say here, "four fourty six to five sixteen equals ten thirty to eleven hundred" or is it better to say something like "the year four-hundred fourty six until five-hundred sixteen, which is equivalent to the year one thousand thirty until one thousand one-hundred" (I assume this is the islamic calendar versus the gregorian calendar... is that right?)
As frustrating as it might seem, here it would be good to stay as close to the text as possible; so "Al-Hariri aye-aitch [or: Anno Hegirae] four [hundred] forty six to five [hundred] sixteen, equals thousand thirty to eleven hundred". Your second suggestion would be easier to understand for a listener, however, that would be making changes to the text which is against LV policies. Abbreviations and symbols have some leeway since they can often be pronounced in different ways, but we can't add words that simply aren't there.
- I assume that I can skip the "FN#..." footnote numbers, is that right?
Correct, you may skip the footnotes!
- I assume when I see roman numerals, I should read the actual number, like "ii" I should read "two" rather than "eye eye". Is that right?
Correct again, just read the number it stands for :)

Readers needed:
endlessriver

Post by endlessriver »